Haugh on the Bear defense

Connorbear

Good article. I'm sick of the damn excuses.

I'm especially sick of hearing the defense struggled because it was tired. Could we get a freaking 3 and out once in a while??? Get off the damn field, and you'll be rested.

After week 3, the defense was terrible all last season. The D sucked in the Super Bowl. The D sucked for a while leading up to the Super Bowl.

In other words, this defense has been mediocre to bad for a while. When you're 27th in the league, you don't "mail it in" because it's a pre-season game.

Does any team commit as much money to it's cap on defense as the Bears?

I agree that the coaches are a big part of the problem.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...,2035020.column

My take is the coaching and the players have been playing heartless football for a while now. They've convinced themselves they're a #1 D when they walk onto the field and if they don't acheive that level of performance, well, there are excuses for it. Frankly, this is when the coaches need to go all "Ditka" on the team and punch of few lockers, if not a few players! Missing tackles on Defense is about the same in my mind as missing a blocking assignment on O. It shouldn't happen at this level. These are professionals and those two aspects of football are the BASICS. Everything else is built on that foundation.

So, if the players don't get their damn heads out of their asses and the coaches can't find ways to force them to do so, it's time for some new coaches and/or players. I'm not sure where that self-satisfaction is coming from but I fear it's becoming a cancer. These coaches have this season to prove they can get the job done, as far as I'm concerned, before fans like me start calling for their heads. These highly paid "leaders on the field" better stop playing like bitches with their panties full of poop. We're all tired of the excuses here. Lovie is a defensive guy, he damn well better get his house in order.

My take is the coaching and the players have been playing heartless football for a while now. They've convinced themselves they're a #1 D when they walk onto the field and if they don't acheive that level of performance, well, there are excuses for it. Frankly, this is when the coaches need to go all "Ditka" on the team and punch of few lockers, if not a few players! Missing tackles on Defense is about the same in my mind as missing a blocking assignment on O. It shouldn't happen at this level. These are professionals and those two aspects of football are the BASICS. Everything else is built on that foundation.

So, if the players don't get their damn heads out of their asses and the coaches can't find ways to force them to do so, it's time for some new coaches and/or players. I'm not sure where that self-satisfaction is coming from but I fear it's becoming a cancer. These coaches have this season to prove they can get the job done, as far as I'm concerned, before fans like me start calling for their heads. These highly paid "leaders on the field" better stop playing like bitches with their panties full of poop. We're all tired of the excuses here. Lovie is a defensive guy, he damn well better get his house in order.

Unfortunately for us, we dont have a coach who will do this. I think this whole organization needs an attitude change.

Unfortunately for us, we dont have a coach who will do this. I think this whole organization needs an attitude change.

I like Lovie as HC but I must admit I prefer HCs who show fire on the sidelines like Ditka did.

I still think back to watching a PIT game where an opposong player was streaking down the sideline and about to score against PIT and Bill Cower stepped onto the field and drew his fist up like he was going to slug the guy as he came by. He obviously stepped back, but it was funny as hell.

I like Lovie as HC but I must admit I prefer HCs who show fire on the sidelines like Ditka did.

I still think back to watching a PIT game where an opposong player was streaking down the sideline and about to score against PIT and Bill Cower stepped onto the field and drew his fist up like he was going to slug the guy as he came by. He obviously stepped back, but it was funny as hell.

I really don't feel 'fire' on the sideline is necessary. In fact, it can make some coaches look like idiots (there are several Ditka examples). I think it is more important how they handle the team in private.

Peace :dabears

more talent?

We have as much talent on defense as anyone in the league. Now, what we do with that talent is another question. The problem clearly lies with coaching. Whether it's fundamentals like tackling/ staying in your gap, or scheme/aggressiveness issues; it still points to coaching.

Now these guys haven't all the sudden forgot how to coach. But, I think that we are far too conservative on defense given the abundance of talent that we have. Going from Rivera to Babich has made us even more so.

We've had tackling issues for years. Nothing very new; even during the Super Bowl season. However, we used to cause more disruption, which leads to turnovers; which bails us out of bad situations. Since we're not as aggressive, teams are less prone to mistakes.

True...Belichick doesn't seem much more than an animatron on the sidelines, bit I've got to imagine it's different in the locker room. But I just don't get even a remote vibe of that from Lovie...

I'm going to be real curious how this season plays out. I'm hoping for the best...

I really don't feel 'fire' on the sideline is necessary. In fact, it can make some coaches look like idiots (there are several Ditka examples). I think it is more important how they handle the team in private.

Peace :dabears