The offensive play I really want to see

nfoligno

Last year, I screamed for two TE formations. This year, what I really want to see is a 3 TE package.

Kellen Davis and Clark play TE off the OTs, while Olsen splits out. Lloyd is our lone WR, w/ Forte in the backfield. Just think about the potential w/ the formation, as well as the matchup problems it would create.

(1) Our OL sucks, but we would provide the OL (whether on passing or running downs) w/ two additional/good blockers.

(2) W/ Clark and Davis as the inside TEs, that likely puts Olsen on a DB, where he has size and creates a very big matchup problem.

(3) Clark and Davis are both solid blockers, but also solid potential receivers.

(4) Forte is a solid runner, but also a solid receiving option.

(5) Lloyd may be the lone WR, but hasn't he been our lone WR anyway?

IMHO, this formation would offer the most potential, both in the run game and passing game. I just don't think we have WRs good enough to keep our TEs on the bench, and the way our OL has looked, we could really use the additional blockers.

Why the heck not!?

Last year, I screamed for two TE formations. This year, what I really want to see is a 3 TE package.

Kellen Davis and Clark play TE off the OTs, while Olsen splits out. Lloyd is our lone WR, w/ Forte in the backfield. Just think about the potential w/ the formation, as well as the matchup problems it would create.

(1) Our OL sucks, but we would provide the OL (whether on passing or running downs) w/ two additional/good blockers.

(2) W/ Clark and Davis as the inside TEs, that likely puts Olsen on a DB, where he has size and creates a very big matchup problem.

(3) Clark and Davis are both solid blockers, but also solid potential receivers.

(4) Forte is a solid runner, but also a solid receiving option.

(5) Lloyd may be the lone WR, but hasn't he been our lone WR anyway?

IMHO, this formation would offer the most potential, both in the run game and passing game. I just don't think we have WRs good enough to keep our TEs on the bench, and the way our OL has looked, we could really use the additional blockers.

i just want to see orton complete "easy passes". this weekend we saw way to many passes underthrown. BL made some great plays on some poolrly thrown balls. if he didnt make some of those catches orton's game looks way worse. first half was shit second half turned out better due to some great plays on some shit passses. we can line up any formation we want, in the end we need a qb that can make some standard nfl type throws.

wether its that or not, we need to get creative. Hell, did you see Miami last week? They pretty much ran Darren McFadden's offense last year at Arkansas "The Wild Hog formation". They had Ronnie Brown under center and he basically ran the QB option. He either ran straight ahead or faked it to another player before taking off. He even threw a touchdown pass!

wether its that or not, we need to get creative. Hell, did you see Miami last week? They pretty much ran Darren McFadden's offense last year at Arkansas "The Wild Hog formation". They had Ronnie Brown under center and he basically ran the QB option. He either ran straight ahead or faked it to another player before taking off. He even threw a touchdown pass!

Yeah, but the only reason it worked is because NE hadn't seen it. Its a gimmick, not something you live in.

The play I'd like to see is Rashied Davis sitting on a bench. Put either Booker, Bradley, or Bennett on the field. It's time for some accountabllity on this team. I can understand a player having a bad game but two weeks in a row he's dropped key passes for us. I'm not saying don't let Davis play just don't let him be a starter. Somebody has to send a message to the team.

By the way, playing on special teams Mark Bradley is starting to get more physical. I don't know if that will translate into how he runs routes and blocks.

On the other hand, if some of our WRs (like Davis) can learn to catch the ball, or Orton can avoid fumbles.......

i just want to see orton complete "easy passes". this weekend we saw way to many passes underthrown. BL made some great plays on some poolrly thrown balls. if he didnt make some of those catches orton's game looks way worse. first half was shit second half turned out better due to some great plays on some shit passses. we can line up any formation we want, in the end we need a qb that can make some standard nfl type throws.

i agree with your idea of the coaching staff needing to get creative. Turner has not showed anything yet so why are they going to start now. maybe if the heat gets turned up on Lovie and turner they will....hopefully they do something. The only problem is Orton blows, if we do get mismatches chances are the pass will be underthrown. What blows my mind away is Orton was a gunslinger in college why is he having a hard time making easy throws? im not asking Orton to make great plays but cmon there was way too many crap throws in sundays game on open wr's.

My opinion of why Orton's throw, in particular downfield, are off is due to practice. I think that we may have Orton throwing the vast majority of his throws in practice in the short to mid range, and thus he and receivers are not in cink downfield. Deep throws are not just on the QB. Both the QB and WR have to be in cink. Hitting Booker downfield is simply going to be very different from hitting Hester deep. I just don't think Orton has a lot of time working w/ the receivers, and is not in cink w/ them.

That is NOT an excuse. Simply put, he has to improve in this area if he wants to continue. It is simply why I think the QB who was a gunslinger in college has seemed like such a weak armed QB for us.

I don't think his passing has been as bad as you make out though. While his deep game leaves a lot to be desired, I think he has been making solid through (on the whole) otherwise. But as has been or problem for some years, drops are not helping.

i agree with your idea of the coaching staff needing to get creative. Turner has not showed anything yet so why are they going to start now. maybe if the heat gets turned up on Lovie and turner they will....hopefully they do something. The only problem is Orton blows, if we do get mismatches chances are the pass will be underthrown. What blows my mind away is Orton was a gunslinger in college why is he having a hard time making easy throws? im not asking Orton to make great plays but cmon there was way too many crap throws in sundays game on open wr's.

i can see what you are saying but he has been in the nfl for 4 years now. He has made some nice throws like the one Davis dropped on 3rd down(not his fault). he threw some close to mid range passes that sucked too. there were some throws on sunday that made evryone watching the game with me say "wtf that is a pass that should have been thrown better". Question for you NFO does Orton's limited talent hold back Turner from calling certain plays in crunch time? Just so i say this upfront im not a fan of Turner. Also to go along with what you said about working with the WR's to be in cinc, what has Orton and these WR's been doing all offseason and training camp. It's not like Orton is a rookie or 2nd year guy, he has been practicing with nfl wr's for 4 years. he has seen nfl speed long enough

The one I want to see is the "Button Hook" route by Hester. Drive your man upfield turn, grab and cut. If they can get that one to work, then they can do a "hook and go". Hester accelleration would make him a force at this play, especially devastating would be a "hook and go-out",where the reciever would take an angle toward the sideline as they were heading downfield. Harder for the safety to roll over. Hell, I'd venture to say Lloyd could run it as well.