Cleveland's going to beat us to Cowher?

madlithuanian

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

COWHER RUMORS FLY IN CLEVELAND

Posted by Mike Florio on September 24, 2008, 12:32 p.m.

We’ve ignore the stream of e-mails on the subject, but they’re becoming more frequent, and we’d prefer to be left alone.

Apparently, plenty of folks in Cleveland have heard that former Steelers coach Bill Cowher has bought a home in Strongsville, Ohio.

It’s creating a buzz on the Internet, and for good reason. Cowher’s purchase of a North Carolina home in early 2006 fueled rumors that he would be leaving the Steelers

After the 2006 season, he did.

But the Browns have a coach. They also have a G.M. If Cowher were to join the franchise, he’d want to run the show. And that means that both Romeo Crennel and Phil Savage would have to go.

And for Cowher to already be sufficiently confident of those moves that he’d buy a house in the area, it means that he would have acquired some understanding from owner Randy Lerner that Crennel and Savage will be out, and that Cowher will take over.

The biggest problem with this scenario is the rule named for Cowher’s former boss in Pittsburgh. The Browns can’t simply fire Crennel and hire Cowher. At least one minority candidate must be interviewed, and few if any will agree to interview for the job if it appears that Cowher has already been chosen.

So we’d be very surprised to learn that Cowher actually has purchased a house in the Cleveland area or that, if so, he has done it because he plans on coaching the Browns. Even if Lerner had entered into a wink-nod arrangement with Cowher, it would be beyond stupid for Cowher to buy a house in Cleveland months before the plan can unfold.

I don't want Cowher.

I like him as a coach, and in many ways, I think he would be good for the team. But, IMHO, it is simply easier to find talented DCs than OCs.

Further, while I know many would argue we need a coach who can lead the area we have all our money tied up, I would disagree. We are loaded on defense w/ talent, and IMHO, not in need of a great coach on that side of the ball. Not saying they don't need a coach, but that unit is filled w/ mostly veterans and simply not the same as a group filled w/ youth and average talent.

It is on offense we need a superior coach. We need someone who can basically build from scratch.

I'll be sick if our next HC is yet another freaking defensive backgrounded coach.

I just wnat a proven winner...

One that'll get us more times to the playoffs than the front of the line in the draft...

Cowher did always seem to get a lot out of very little on offense.

Generally speaking, I do agree with you. I think we need an offensive minded guy...but Cowher is a proven exception. I'd rather have him than some up and coming (ie. cheap) OC that doesn't have HC experience.

In all honesty, as much as my mind would kind of dislike it, I'd find it hard not to be happy if Singletary were next. At least we know he's got fire...and has also been asst head coaching in SF...

I don't want Cowher.

I like him as a coach, and in many ways, I think he would be good for the team. But, IMHO, it is simply easier to find talented DCs than OCs.

Further, while I know many would argue we need a coach who can lead the area we have all our money tied up, I would disagree. We are loaded on defense w/ talent, and IMHO, not in need of a great coach on that side of the ball. Not saying they don't need a coach, but that unit is filled w/ mostly veterans and simply not the same as a group filled w/ youth and average talent.

It is on offense we need a superior coach. We need someone who can basically build from scratch.

I'll be sick if our next HC is yet another freaking defensive backgrounded coach.

In all honesty, as much as my mind would kind of dislike it, I'd find it hard not to be happy if Singletary were next. At least we know he's got fire...and has also been asst head coaching in SF...

Dude, SF has sucked for sometime. They look like they may be turning it around but who knows. Being the Asst Head coach there is nothing I would be bragging about. Just because he is a Bears alum and a HOF doesn't mean he will be a good coach.

Don't get me wrong, I love Singletary - just not sure if I would want him as head coach.

Peace

He's only been there for a little bit...I think a year after Nolan got there. Tell me Patrick WIllis doesn't look really good! We know there's natural skill, but I'm sure there's something to Mike being there. But, granted, that's only one area. But they do look to be improving...and maybe that's Martz. While I fully see your point, and I'm sure I'm clouded by his tenure as a Bear...but I recall Buddy Ryan saying time and time again, he'd be a natural coach. Again, maybe too much Bears kool-aid on my part.

I guess the bottom line is I'd really rather have a proven HC, but if we've gotta go the cheap (McCaskey) route again, I'd be OK with Mike.

Dude, SF has sucked for sometime. They look like they may be turning it around but who knows. Being the Asst Head coach there is nothing I would be bragging about. Just because he is a Bears alum and a HOF doesn't mean he will be a good coach.

Don't get me wrong, I love Singletary - just not sure if I would want him as head coach.

Peace

He's only been there for a little bit...I think a year after Nolan got there. Tell me Patrick WIllis doesn't look really good! We know there's natural skill, but I'm sure there's something to Mike being there. But, granted, that's only one area. But they do look to be improving...and maybe that's Martz. While I fully see your point, and I'm sure I'm clouded by his tenure as a Bear...but I recall Buddy Ryan saying time and time again, he'd be a natural coach. Again, maybe too much Bears kool-aid on my part.

I guess the bottom line is I'd really rather have a proven HC, but if we've gotta go the cheap (McCaskey) route again, I'd be OK with Mike.

How did Buddy Ryan work out as a head coach???? I do not trust his judgement. That being said, I would not mind Singletary if they are going on the cheap. However, I would prefer an experienced HC. We are way ahead of ourselves since we will not be seeing a change for at least 1.5 yrs.

Peace :dabears

True enough...

I think we're basically on the same page. And I htink we're both in agreement the page won't turn to the next for a while...

How did Buddy Ryan work out as a head coach???? I do not trust his judgement. That being said, I would not mind Singletary if they are going on the cheap. However, I would prefer an experienced HC. We are way ahead of ourselves since we will not be seeing a change for at least 1.5 yrs.

Does Pitt's GM and Scouting dept come w/ Cowher? You say he did a lot w/ little, but that team was incredible finding talent. As the owners rarely kept their talent, the ability to continually find solid replacements said a lot.

I like him though, and agree somewhat. He would not be the worst hire in the world, and maybe would be the exception. There are a few defensive backgrounded coaches who I would not be opposed to. He might be one, as would Cowher.

But I still feel an offensive minded coach is what this teams needs more than anything.

Man, I do not want that...

But, what about Billick? He was an offensive guru in Minny before going to Balt...and got a lot out of Dilfer at least for one season. Also has a ring on his finger...

Sorry, but hell no to Billick. He was brought in because he was an offensive guru, but Baltimore's offense has traditionally been average or bad under him. Players fail to develop, and they simply overall are not good. Their defense is outstanding, but that isn't what he was brought to Baltimore for.

I think I would be more hessitant to add him as a DC than as a HC.

As a DC, he would have to call the game, and that is an area he is unproven. As a HC though, I simply believe he has the skills to do well there. Relationship, Motivational, etc.

With that said, I don't see it.

Peace

Probably not, but I would imagine those guys could be hunted down.

I do agreee overall...we need something O oriented.

But as you mentioned w/ Singletary on your other post...maybe we just need a movivator and a good coordinator!

Does Pitt's GM and Scouting dept come w/ Cowher? You say he did a lot w/ little, but that team was incredible finding talent. As the owners rarely kept their talent, the ability to continually find solid replacements said a lot.

I like him though, and agree somewhat. He would not be the worst hire in the world, and maybe would be the exception. There are a few defensive backgrounded coaches who I would not be opposed to. He might be one, as would Cowher.

But I still feel an offensive minded coach is what this teams needs more than anything.

Agreed. But, maybe he never got the pieces to the puzzle and did the best he could...

Just saying...

And I've heard of his cushy camps too...

I'm not sold on him, but I'd consider him considering certian alternatives...

Sorry, but hell no to Billick. He was brought in because he was an offensive guru, but Baltimore's offense has traditionally been average or bad under him. Players fail to develop, and they simply overall are not good. Their defense is outstanding, but that isn't what he was brought to Baltimore for.

I'd really like to go more in an offensive direction if we're pulling at just coordinators. I'm not sure I like Kiffin...maybe the team he's with is bad and that's why he looks bad.

Maybe Lane Kiffen after he gets fired from Oakland.. Just a thought. Or I really liked that defensive coordinator from New York last year, forget his name. Maybe we could pry him away from New York after this season..

Guest TerraTor
I don't want Cowher.

we'd never pay him anyway

What about Dave Toub? He's done nothing but have one of the best units year after year even before Hester. Other special teams coaches have gone on to become good head coaches and IIRC he got some attention last year. He's a guy who finds ways to get the most out of the talent he has. When tactics dictate a change is needed, he thinks outside the box (ala putting Wolfe up front on kickoffs in case they kick short of Hester).

What about Dave Toub? He's done nothing but have one of the best units year after year even before Hester. Other special teams coaches have gone on to become good head coaches and IIRC he got some attention last year. He's a guy who finds ways to get the most out of the talent he has. When tactics dictate a change is needed, he thinks outside the box (ala putting Wolfe up front on kickoffs in case they kick short of Hester).

Toub will be a head coach in this league someday and I would have no issue with as the Bears HC. Bottom line, special teams performs no matter what personnel is on the field. He is top notch.