Bucs TE Stevens: "People on the Bears got exposed"

madlithuanian

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2008/09/bu...ple_on_the.html

Bucs TE Stevens: "People on the Bears got exposed"

By Brad Biggson September 24, 2008 8:55 AM | Permalink | Comments (7) | TrackBacks (0)

Thankfully, the postgame chatter has moved on from low blows but that doesn't mean shots are not still being taken.

Tampa Bay tight end Jerramy Stevens, fresh off his two-game league suspension, made his debut this season at Soldier Field and hauled in a one-yard touchdown catch to force overtime.

Stevens made five receptions for 61 yards, including a 31-yarder.

"I personally feel like some people on the Bears got exposed,'' Stevens said. "But I'm not going to mention no names.''

Seeing as the Bucs passed for 407 yards, Stevens has a point.

The Bears will go about correcting those flaws today when they begin preparations at Halas Hall to face Donovan McNabb and the Philadelphia Eagles, a team that will come to Soldier Field for the Sunday night game with some key injuries.

More on that later today.

Hmmm wonder who that could be.. Vasher? The guy has been getting beat all season. Hunter Hillenmeyer, everytime I see him he's giving up major yardage to somebody he's suppose to be covering. If I had to guess, those two are the weakest links. You could throw in Kevin Payne, I'm not a big fan of his.. But we will have to live with him, its his first year and we lost McGowan.

Got to be referencing Hunter and Vash...Payne's too new based on his comment. COuld also be some D linemen too...

Hmmm wonder who that could be.. Vasher? The guy has been getting beat all season. Hunter Hillenmeyer, everytime I see him he's giving up major yardage to somebody he's suppose to be covering. If I had to guess, those two are the weakest links. You could throw in Kevin Payne, I'm not a big fan of his.. But we will have to live with him, its his first year and we lost McGowan.

I don't think it is Hunter, or Payne. As said, Payne is new and doesn't have a reputation yet. Hunter isn't new, but does he have some great reputation? I don't think so. He is largely the unknown LB on the team.

Did he matchup against Vasher?

IMHO, his comments were leveled at Urlacher and Briggs. While not exactly accurate, they play positions which more traditionally cover TEs, and are considered elite players at their positions. IMHO, he was calling out Briggs and Urlacher, and maybe Mike Brown, but as Brown hasn't really played much in years, more likely our LBs.

COnsidering how poorly we matched up, I'm not sure anyone was on Stevens!

But, yeah...maybe he was referencing our LB's... I somehow also think Harris. He seemes to be the most vocal of our group...and would be the one I would think someone would take to task. Url barely says a thing...but nor did he do much that game either.

I don't think it is Hunter, or Payne. As said, Payne is new and doesn't have a reputation yet. Hunter isn't new, but does he have some great reputation? I don't think so. He is largely the unknown LB on the team.

Did he matchup against Vasher?

IMHO, his comments were leveled at Urlacher and Briggs. While not exactly accurate, they play positions which more traditionally cover TEs, and are considered elite players at their positions. IMHO, he was calling out Briggs and Urlacher, and maybe Mike Brown, but as Brown hasn't really played much in years, more likely our LBs.

Hunter would have been matching up against Stevens.

No argument, but if Stevens is trying to say he exposed a player, I think that assumes the player is considered very good, and was shown otherwise. I just don't think Hunter is a player who would be called out, as if he is over-rated or something. Hunter is the unknown of the defense.

IMHO, Stevens comments only make sense if he is calling out players who have greater reputations.

He can be calling out our pass rush, which was non-existant.

He can be calling out our LBs, who may not have been responsible for covering him, but play the position that often does, and are tops on the team in terms of reputation.

He can also be calling out our secondary.

Point is, while Hunter and/or Payne may have been primary in covering him, I don't think calling out either makes sense. His "exposed" comment indicates a player (or players) he feels are over-rated, and as neither Hunter, nor Payne, have established reputation, I just don't see how they would be logical choices.

That is why I think it is really our LBs he is saying were exposed.

I like him. Generally, I think he's doing a decent job given the circumstances.

Why does everyone on this site rip on Kevin Payne? He led the team with 13 tackles week 2 @ Carolina, and last week vs TB he made a nice adjustment on the ball for an INT. The guy is a f***ing rookie and people think he got "exposed".

Wow, I must be the only Payne fan on this board.

Why does everyone on this site rip on Kevin Payne? He led the team with 13 tackles week 2 @ Carolina, and last week vs TB he made a nice adjustment on the ball for an INT. The guy is a f***ing rookie and people think he got "exposed".

I don't say anything about him because I can't watch the deep secondary closely enough without widescreen or Tivo. But what sticks out in my mind about him last week was that atrocious tackle (miss) in OT crunch time. Week 1 it was allowing the only TD. Other times too, though not as memorable. It would be nice if he would stop sticking out in a bad way. Although somehow I've forgotten exactly what happened on his pick last week so I guess that would be sticking out in a good way.

Jermey Stevens should shut the hell up. No one should care what this rapist scum bag thinks.

* On June 2, 1998, Stevens was arrested on charges of second-degree assault armed with a deadly weapon and fourth-degree assault. According to a police report, Stevens and a friend engaged in a fight with a 17-year-old and witnesses said Stevens stomped on the man's face. Stevens agreed to a plea deal of a charge of misdemeanor assault.

* On July 10, 1998, Stevens tested positive for marijuana and served a day in jail.

* On July 27, 2000, Stevens was arrested for the sexual assault of a 19-year-old University of Washington freshman. Stevens initially denied having sex with the accuser, but later admitted to having sex with her in the yard of a fraternity house in the early morning hours of June 4, 2000, after a fraternity party, but maintained it was consensual. However, a UW student who walked by and witnessed them having sex called 911 to report it as a possible rape, noting that the woman appeared to be drugged; he described her as "half passed out ... eyes glazed ... no one home."[7] [8] Stevens's semen was found in the victim, who was penetrated vaginally and anally, and numerous witnesses testified that she acted as if drugged at the party. Police suspected a date rape drug was given to the woman at the party, but blood samples were taken too late for testing.

Despite these suspicions, the King County prosecutor declined to file rape charges against Stevens due to "confusing and conflicting statements".[7] [8]

A civil suit, which resulted in a settlement, was later filed by the victim. The civil settlement was not publicly disclosed, but according to published reports included a $300,000 payment by Stevens to the plaintiff. The investigation and aftermath of this incident and the subsequent decision to not charge Stevens were reported by the Seattle Times. [7] [8]

* On May 4, 2001, Stevens was cited for reckless driving and hit and run after crashing into a nursing home. Stevens pleaded guilty to hit-and-run and causing property damage and was sentenced to 240 hours of community service.

* On April 3, 2003, Stevens was stopped by Medina, Washington police and was charged with reckless driving and driving while intoxicated. He pleaded guilty to reckless driving and was fined $1,000 and was sentenced to two days in jail because the judge ruled Stevens violated his probation from the hit-and-run case.

* On March 13, 2007, Stevens was arrested in Scottsdale, Arizona for suspicion of DUI after his blood-alcohol content was measured at 0.204, over twice the legal limit of .08 and considered "extreme DUI" in Arizona. He was later found guilty in a court trial, and was subsequently sentenced to 12 days in jail and fined $3,160. [9]This sentence was later decreased to 10 days by a Scottsdale city judge.

[10]

* On March 20, 2007 the Seattle Times report that multiple complaints were raised against Stevens by other residents in his condominium complex. The complaints include, vomit on their doors, used condoms on the back porch, loud parties at all hours of the night, and various noise complaints. [11]

Over-reacting a tad here? I think the point was that, even though Payne and Hunter may have had more responsibility for Stevens, it is unlikely either are who Stevens was talking about.

You are not Payne's only fan. He is a bear, and thus he has many fans. That generalization aside, I have always liked him, and didn't understand why he didn't seem to be getting more looks at SS early on in mini-camp than he did.

BUT he also has often looked lost in coverage. He has tremendous athleticims and can deliver a pop, but in terms of play recognition, he is not there yet. Part of the reason for his high tackle numbers is his area/man is too often open. He makes the tackle, but actual good play would have meant no reception, and thus not tackle. It you watch, he is more often trailing behind a play, and that is because he is late to recognize the play and thus late to react. His run defense and inside the box play is much better, but at this point, he is like most every SS we have had for years. Good run defender, but weak in pass coverage.

Oh yea. And he isn't a rookie. I know he didn't play much last year, but he did see the field and did practice, and is not a rookie. I am so tired of reading about a player being in his rookie year, even though he has been in the league multiple years.