Has the Cover 2 jumped the shark?

jason

It seems that everyone knows how to exploit it. Everyone understands the gaps and holes. And, most importantly, when the Bears go to it exclusively, they get raped.

Is it because it's a passive approach?

OR

Is it because the Bears don't have the personnel to run it any more?

Either way, the Bears almost let a win go yet again. This "playing not to lose" crap has killed the Bears this year, and it appears that Lovie and crew haven't learned their lessons. Thank goodness the offense and ST put up so many points today, because those last ten points to the Vikings were way too easy.

It seems that everyone knows how to exploit it. Everyone understands the gaps and holes. And, most importantly, when the Bears go to it exclusively, they get raped.

OR

Either way, the Bears almost let a win go yet again. This "playing not to lose" crap has killed the Bears this year, and it appears that Lovie and crew haven't learned their lessons. Thank goodness the offense and ST put up so many points today, because those last ten points to the Vikings were way too easy.

The cover 2, or the 2 deep zone as OB called it today, is predicated on getting pass rush from the front 4. They are not - that is why the defense is getting killed out there. The defensive linemen hardly ever stunt. Please do something to get pressure on the QB.

Peace :dabears

My comments from last year and IMO it still holds true. This is what this team needs to do. They have the personnel they just don't have the coaching. Having Urlacher back up from the line of scrimmage on probably about 65% of the plays to cover his "zone" is ridiculous. Having him in designated spot instead of letting him read the QB, move around and use his speed is also stupid. Having him fight with linemen is assinine. I hate this scheme. One of the best LB in the game and he's a footnote because this staff doens't know how to use him.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Dec 18 2007, 12:54 PM)

I thought a big difference was how Toeaina and Kennedy ate up the blockers and allowed Urlacher and Briggs to make a shit load of plays. Hopefully this opens up the eyes of this dam coaching staff and makes them realize what they need to do. I read or heard somewhere after they picked these two guys up, that they needed them for bodies, but they don't fit the type of tackle this team likes. Bullshit...

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Dec 19 2007, 09:38 AM)

and the system sucks is kinda what I'm getting at. If they want to play that way on passing downs and they have the bodies to do it then fine...but I think most first and second downs...you should have the big DT's in there and allow your LB's to use their speed and aggressiveness to make the plays. I don't know, I've just never been a huge fan of this scheme. It's bend don't break and predicated on turnovers, but if you don't get them...you're in trouble. Why have your best god dam player fighting with 300+ pound offensive linemen. Urlacher has some of the most freakish ability ever at the LB position and we have him grappling with guards and tackles, cause the Oline knows they can let our D line fly by them and before they know it the RB is past em and on to the second level.

Coincidentally my dad just sent me this email...Like Father like Son I guess....

I think Urlacher really benefitted from having two more traditional "read and react" type of linemen playing in front of him on monday night. Matt Toeaina and Jimmy Kennedy are not the "3 technique" tackle types that Lovie likes, but he was in a bind for tackles and was forced into playing a couple of guys he wouldn't normally draft or play. Coincidentally, Brian had his best game of the year, making tackles in the hole, sideline to sideline, sacking the qb and he was rarely pushed around by a 320 pound lineman.

Did Lovie notice that Brian had his best game of the year against the best rushing team and one of the best running backs in the nfl? I doubt he will change his philosophy, but it's pretty obvious that Brian's talents are amplified when he is allowed to move more freely to the ball like he did when he played behind Traylor and Washington.

The 3 technique can work if you have strong, super quick tackles, like Tommie Harris was before his injury, but Tommie is not the same player, at least not yet. I've noticed him getting pushed back 10 yards and more in several games this year. If Tommie cannot return to his former self then Lovie should consider the more traditional defense or at least keep a couple of the bigger tackles like Minnesota uses ( #1 rush def.) On our roster.

Remember we could not stop Joseph Addai in the not-so-super bowl.

All you have to do to beat the Cover 2 is run slant patterns all day down the field. Get the ball outta your hand quickly because the Corners are in a zone and allow a cushion to the receivers. If you don't have a dominant front 4 you shouldn't be in cover 2 because its all based on pressure and forcing the quarterback into bad situations.

Probably a mix of both...which means it's time to dump it!

OR

My comments from last year and IMO it still holds true. This is what this team needs to do. They have the personnel they just don't have the coaching. Having Urlacher back up from the line of scrimmage on probably about 65% of the plays to cover his "zone" is ridiculous. Having him in designated spot instead of letting him read the QB, move around and use his speed is also stupid. Having him fight with linemen is assinine. I hate this scheme. One of the best LB in the game and he's a footnote because this staff doens't know how to use him.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Dec 18 2007, 12:54 PM)

I thought a big difference was how Toeaina and Kennedy ate up the blockers and allowed Urlacher and Briggs to make a shit load of plays. Hopefully this opens up the eyes of this dam coaching staff and makes them realize what they need to do. I read or heard somewhere after they picked these two guys up, that they needed them for bodies, but they don't fit the type of tackle this team likes. Bullshit...

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Dec 19 2007, 09:38 AM)

and the system sucks is kinda what I'm getting at. If they want to play that way on passing downs and they have the bodies to do it then fine...but I think most first and second downs...you should have the big DT's in there and allow your LB's to use their speed and aggressiveness to make the plays. I don't know, I've just never been a huge fan of this scheme. It's bend don't break and predicated on turnovers, but if you don't get them...you're in trouble. Why have your best god dam player fighting with 300+ pound offensive linemen. Urlacher has some of the most freakish ability ever at the LB position and we have him grappling with guards and tackles, cause the Oline knows they can let our D line fly by them and before they know it the RB is past em and on to the second level.

Coincidentally my dad just sent me this email...Like Father like Son I guess....

I think Urlacher really benefitted from having two more traditional "read and react" type of linemen playing in front of him on monday night. Matt Toeaina and Jimmy Kennedy are not the "3 technique" tackle types that Lovie likes, but he was in a bind for tackles and was forced into playing a couple of guys he wouldn't normally draft or play. Coincidentally, Brian had his best game of the year, making tackles in the hole, sideline to sideline, sacking the qb and he was rarely pushed around by a 320 pound lineman.

Did Lovie notice that Brian had his best game of the year against the best rushing team and one of the best running backs in the nfl? I doubt he will change his philosophy, but it's pretty obvious that Brian's talents are amplified when he is allowed to move more freely to the ball like he did when he played behind Traylor and Washington.

The 3 technique can work if you have strong, super quick tackles, like Tommie Harris was before his injury, but Tommie is not the same player, at least not yet. I've noticed him getting pushed back 10 yards and more in several games this year. If Tommie cannot return to his former self then Lovie should consider the more traditional defense or at least keep a couple of the bigger tackles like Minnesota uses ( #1 rush def.) On our roster.

Remember we could not stop Joseph Addai in the not-so-super bowl.

I remember these posts and agreeing with you.

Peace :dabears