How much did Orton and the offense really do?

jason

Drive 1: Plain old marched down the field on the Queens. TD

Drive 2: Blocked punt. TD

Drive 3: Started the drive at the Bears' 48, got 34 yards (10 more via penalty). FG.

Drive 4: 24 total yards. Punt. ST TD after muff.

Drive 5: Started on the Queens' 26, and got 2 yards. Blocked FG.

Drive 6: Started on the Bears' 41, got 23 yards (5 more via penalty). FG.

Drive 7: Awesome drive by the offense. TD

Drive 8: Total yards 12 - Punt

Drive 9: Total yards 8 - Punt

Drive 10: Started at the Bears' 37, got 51 yards on one play (BOOKER IS FAST!). TD

Drive 11: Started at the Queens' 6. TD

Drive 12: Total yards 9 - Punt

Drive 13: Total yards 15 - Punt

Drive 14: Doesn't count...clock killer

So, by my count, that's 21 points for which the offense can take credit, and then 21 points for which the ST can take credit, and then 6 more points that is shared equally. Although, the fifth drive should have been at least 3 points, making it 9 shared points.

The offense did very well today, and there can't be a person who is upset with all the points shoved down the Queens' throats, but let's not get too excited about the "offensive onslaught". The offense didn't get the Bears 48 points. The team got the Bears 48 points.

Drive 3: Started the drive at the Bears' 48, got 34 yards (10 more via penalty). FG.

Drive 10: Started at the Bears' 37, got 51 yards on one play (BOOKER IS FAST!). TD

So, by my count, that's 21 points for which the offense can take credit, and then 21 points for which the ST can take credit, and then 6 more points that is shared equally. Although, the fifth drive should have been at least 3 points, making it 9 shared points.

The offense did very well today, and there can't be a person who is upset with all the points shoved down the Queens' throats, but let's not get too excited about the "offensive onslaught". The offense didn't get the Bears 48 points. The team got the Bears 48 points.

Orton had 2 TD catches dropped and a third fumbled and then recovered. So in essense he had 5 TD passes. That doesn't sound so average to me...

Special teams scored 14 points not 21. Our offense was clicking on all cylinders. Remember the 2 should have been touchdowns Orton threw to Booker if he didn't let it go through his hands. We were moving the ball down the field at will except on a few ocassions. Lets not forget how we did this all while being 1 dimensional. They shut the run down and forced Orton to beat him, which he did. I'd say that's pretty impressive.

I don't think you can look at it that way. For several years, the special teams have given the bears good field position, but the offense could not capitalize. Even if they move the ball only 20 or whatever yards for a FG, they still did move the ball and put points on the board.

Special teams was a factor, but the reality is, our offense was good enough to capitalize on chances, and thus deserves credit. So does the special teams, obviously, but I don't think you can take away from the offense. Orton had 280 yards and 2 scores on the books, though one was taken away at the goal line as credited as a fumble recovery. Not to mention the big Booker drop that would have been 6.

I think there is reason to question our run game right now, but I do not think there is much to question our passing game, which is working pretty darn well, and w/o great weapons.

Orton had 2 TD catches dropped and a third fumbled and then recovered. So in essense he had 5 TD passes. That doesn't sound so average to me...

I'm speaking in the realities of what actually happened. You are right, however, Orton should have had a monster game if not for the drops by Booker (who is on the offense).

Special teams scored 14 points not 21. Our offense was clicking on all cylinders. Remember the 2 should have been touchdowns Orton threw to Booker if he didn't let it go through his hands. We were moving the ball down the field at will except on a few ocassions. Lets not forget how we did this all while being 1 dimensional. They shut the run down and forced Orton to beat him, which he did. I'd say that's pretty impressive.

I'm clearly giving the last TD to the D/ST. The offense had to go six yards. Seriously. Six yards.

I don't think you can look at it that way. For several years, the special teams have given the bears good field position, but the offense could not capitalize. Even if they move the ball only 20 or whatever yards for a FG, they still did move the ball and put points on the board.

Special teams was a factor, but the reality is, our offense was good enough to capitalize on chances, and thus deserves credit. So does the special teams, obviously, but I don't think you can take away from the offense. Orton had 280 yards and 2 scores on the books, though one was taken away at the goal line as credited as a fumble recovery. Not to mention the big Booker drop that would have been 6.

I think there is reason to question our run game right now, but I do not think there is much to question our passing game, which is working pretty darn well, and w/o great weapons.

Just one point: I gave the offense credit for the goal-line drop, and then fumble recovery. What I didn't give them credit for was the 6 yard drive.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the offense - they put up points. The passing game looked downright dangerous. I said at the beginning of the season that I thought the Bears had the talent at WR and TE to do big things. And I'm extremely happy that the offense is finally taking advantage of the tons of opportunities the D/ST provides. It's just too bad that it has finally happened when the window on a dominant D has begun to close.

21 points is darn good.

Not to mention, I felt that in the 3rd and 4th, Turner got conservative again...

Also, let's not avoid the 2 big TD drops Booker had. That's 14 more points on the board...

Just one point: I gave the offense credit for the goal-line drop, and then fumble recovery. What I didn't give them credit for was the 6 yard drive.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the offense - they put up points. The passing game looked downright dangerous. I said at the beginning of the season that I thought the Bears had the talent at WR and TE to do big things. And I'm extremely happy that the offense is finally taking advantage of the tons of opportunities the D/ST provides. It's just too bad that it has finally happened when the window on a dominant D has begun to close.

I give them credit for the 6 yard drive. If they scored 3, sure, then you can say they didn't earn those 3 points. But they did get into the endzone. How many times over the years have you seen our D (or special teams) hand the offense the ball w/ 1st and goal, only to see us walk away w/ 3? The STs gets credit for putting the offense into the great situation, but I think you still have to give the offense credit for capitalizing on that opportunity.

I think they also get credit for a couple drives that ended w/ 3. Again, if they were given the ball and went no where before settling on a FG, then I can see not crediting the offense, but picking up 20 or 30 yards in order to get into FG range does count.

Agreed that it is too bad our offense finally shines when the D tanks. Imagine how good this team would look right now if the D was playing up to expectation while the O was playing as well as they are.

You're right to say that the offense still needs improvement. Are people really that hyped about the offense or just Kyle? I'm more happy about Kyle, who had every bit of the great game that he's getting credit for. Our running game will hopefully come around. Two dropped TD's (Booker made a poor adjustment on that second one...he shouldn't have made it into such a tough catch) is not going to happen most weeks.

A couple of my favorite posts from a Vikes messageboard (pregame):

"I believe the Bears are overratted. Their run defense is pretty good and I expect another 20-25 carries for around 80-100 yards for AD. If the passing game can get 225+ yards I actually expect a somewhat convincing win. Our defense will shut down CHI. Orton is not nearly as good as the stats ESPN will spout off at you will make you believe. He has failed to throw for more then 200 yards in 3 of his 6 games including 2 games of 150 and has only gone over 300 once (vs DET). His stats are very comparable to the Minnesota QB's actually. Not to mention he had 3 TD's vs Det which gives him only 5 over the other 5 games. I think we shut down Chicago offense all together and give up only about 250 total yards and score about 17-20 and give up about 6-10 in a big division win."

"Orton is not a QB I would want to start for my team, I'd take Frerotte any day, I don't care how ridiculous that sounds. He might be improving with each game, but the competition he's playing is hardly top notch defenses. Yeah he looked great vs. Detroit, but I mean, every QB SHOULD look great at Detroit. Atlanta doesn't have the best D, and vs. Philly and Tampa, he did not preform well. vs. Philly, he only completed 50% of his passes, and threw 2 picks. And I didn't forget about the three TD's but a couple of them were goal line passes, so they could've just as easily been runs. Vs. Tampa, he was pretty awful as well."

I especially love the guy who says Orton isn't as good as the stats ESPN will throw at you...and then proceeds to use nothing but stats to back up his position...clearly not having ever actually watched Orton play this season. Now he knows.

A couple of my favorite posts from a Vikes messageboard (pregame):

I especially love the guy who says Orton isn't as good as the stats ESPN will throw at you...and then proceeds to use nothing but stats to back up his position...clearly not having ever actually watched Orton play this season. Now he knows.

That is what makes it funny. They barely beat Detroit and they discount us blowing them out. They beat a NO team who tried as hard as they could to give that game away. Then they talk smack. I love it. They just can't handle it.