Where is Des Clark?

BearFan2000

The guy has been MIA in the offense for the most part till he was involved a few times this week. In past seasons he was our go to guy. Is it that Kyle's comfort level with Olsen is higher than his comfort level with Clark? Or is Des just not as sharp this year. He had what could have been a very boneheaded mistake by getting the ball punched out at the end of that reception. He owes Davis dinner for saving his arse by following the play. Just seems like he's been non-existent for the most part. I had thought they'd lean on him more then they have.. and maybe he had a slow start but is coming on.

Gotta agree w/ others. Not sure what you are watching. Clark has been a big part of the offense. He may not have the FF stats, but that is because he is essentially in a TE by committee situation. Further, Clark is a MUCH better blocker than Olsen, and thus I think we are often using him to block more often, especially as Olsen develops more and more into a legit weapon.

The guy has been MIA in the offense for the most part till he was involved a few times this week. In past seasons he was our go to guy. Is it that Kyle's comfort level with Olsen is higher than his comfort level with Clark? Or is Des just not as sharp this year. He had what could have been a very boneheaded mistake by getting the ball punched out at the end of that reception. He owes Davis dinner for saving his arse by following the play. Just seems like he's been non-existent for the most part. I had thought they'd lean on him more then they have.. and maybe he had a slow start but is coming on.

Gotta agree w/ others. Not sure what you are watching. Clark has been a big part of the offense. He may not have the FF stats, but that is because he is essentially in a TE by committee situation. Further, Clark is a MUCH better blocker than Olsen, and thus I think we are often using him to block more often, especially as Olsen develops more and more into a legit weapon.

Agreed - Clark is fine. The production out of the TEs has been very good. Just need to improve Olsen's blocking.

Peace :dabears

Agreed - Clark is fine. The production out of the TEs has been very good. Just need to improve Olsen's blocking.

I was on Olsen about his blocking since the offseason, and especially during the preseason, but I am backing off a tad.

Tony Gonzalez, Antonio Gates, Kellen Winslow, Shockey. None of these elite pass catching TEs are considered good blockers.

I was on Olsen's case because he was not a good blocker, but also because of the number of drops. He is starting to look more and more like he has the potential to be an elite pass catching TE, and I think you simply accept less in terms of blocking. Do I want him to improve his blocking? Obviously. But I doubt he will ever be considered a good blocker. At the same time, if he develops into a pro bowl TE, I doubt many fans will mind.

I think the title of this thread should be "Where is Kellen Davis?" The cat looked great in the Preseason and his height advantage on any defender would be an asset.

While I agree, I think he is sitting because Clark and Olsen have been solid. To bring him in, you have to sit either Clark or Olsen, and neither have played their way to the bench.

Me, I would personally still enjoy a 3 TE set, w/ Olsen splitting out wide, but we are not going to see that, and thus are not likely to see Davis unless Clark or Olsen go down w/ injury.

Davis will get time this year on special teams, and get practice reps at TE, and may be able to step into a greater role in future years.

I would also like to see a 3 TE set with Davis. I'd like to mix one of the TE's at FB once in a while too... Gotta be better than mcKie!

While I agree, I think he is sitting because Clark and Olsen have been solid. To bring him in, you have to sit either Clark or Olsen, and neither have played their way to the bench.

Me, I would personally still enjoy a 3 TE set, w/ Olsen splitting out wide, but we are not going to see that, and thus are not likely to see Davis unless Clark or Olsen go down w/ injury.

Davis will get time this year on special teams, and get practice reps at TE, and may be able to step into a greater role in future years.

I would also like to see a 3 TE set with Davis. I'd like to mix one of the TE's at FB once in a while too... Gotta be better than mcKie!

Preaching to the choir. I have been on the bandwagon to get rid of Mckie for some time now. Personally, I just don't see what he brings (positive) to the table. In the past, we had some (Shelton) who were great run blockers, or some (Pritchett) who were supposed to be solid receiving FBs, but to me, McKie is not special at either. In fact, I think he is a below average blocker, and while he may have decent hands to catch the ball, he does little to nothing after the catch.

I would love to see a 3 TE set. You can have Olsen split out wide. Davis and Clark initially line up off-tackle. W/ this formation, I just think you can do a lot of things. As both Davis and Clark are good blockers and pass catchers, then can stay back to protect or run a route. They can chip block, then run a route, or separate. You can also have Davis motion into the backfield as a lead blocker (FB position, as you said) or run block from the line. Point is, there are many avenues you can go, and w/ Olsen and Hester running downfield routes, defenses would have to respect that as well.

But I doubt seriously we will ever see anything like that.

When? I recorded the Minny game last night off NFL.com, and intend to watch tonight. Let me know when we ran that so I can watch for it.

Were we simply in our moose package? Did we run the ball or pass? Was the FB in as well as the TEs? Where was Olsen lined up?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am just really interested to know, if we did in fact run a 3 TE set, how we did it.

You know that we played in a 3 TE set against the Vikings, right? With Davis. But I agree. I want to see it more!

When? I recorded the Minny game last night off NFL.com, and intend to watch tonight. Let me know when we ran that so I can watch for it.

Were we simply in our moose package? Did we run the ball or pass? Was the FB in as well as the TEs? Where was Olsen lined up?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am just really interested to know, if we did in fact run a 3 TE set, how we did it.

IIRC it was on the short yardage play when we got the PI, but I'm not sure. I remember it because the announcers mentioned it. But it was for one or two plays. I don't really watch the games on the same level as most of you guys are doing it (due to my location, I don't have have the same backrground as you. But I'm a fast learner).

I'm sure we did use it...but I think what nfo and I are getting at, is we want it more than once in a blue moon on short yardage...

IIRC it was on the short yardage play when we got the PI, but I'm not sure. I remember it because the announcers mentioned it. But it was for one or two plays. I don't really watch the games on the same level as most of you guys are doing it (due to my location, I don't have have the same backrground as you. But I'm a fast learner).

Amen!

Preaching to the choir. I have been on the bandwagon to get rid of Mckie for some time now. Personally, I just don't see what he brings (positive) to the table. In the past, we had some (Shelton) who were great run blockers, or some (Pritchett) who were supposed to be solid receiving FBs, but to me, McKie is not special at either. In fact, I think he is a below average blocker, and while he may have decent hands to catch the ball, he does little to nothing after the catch.

I would love to see a 3 TE set. You can have Olsen split out wide. Davis and Clark initially line up off-tackle. W/ this formation, I just think you can do a lot of things. As both Davis and Clark are good blockers and pass catchers, then can stay back to protect or run a route. They can chip block, then run a route, or separate. You can also have Davis motion into the backfield as a lead blocker (FB position, as you said) or run block from the line. Point is, there are many avenues you can go, and w/ Olsen and Hester running downfield routes, defenses would have to respect that as well.

But I doubt seriously we will ever see anything like that.

I'm sure we did use it...but I think what nfo and I are getting at, is we want it more than once in a blue moon on short yardage...

I hear both of you! I just reacted to what sounded as we haven't used it at all.

BTW. After Paynes interception, 17 sec left of 3rd quarter, 2nd and goal! Playfake. Tight throw to Olsen in double coverage and a drop.

I hear both of you! I just reacted to what sounded as we haven't used it at all.

BTW. After Paynes interception, 17 sec left of 3rd quarter, 2nd and goal! Playfake. Tight throw to Olsen in double coverage and a drop.

Okay, I just re-watched the game, and here is what I saw.

After the Payne pic, and near the goal line, we did go into what I believe we call our Moose package. In this package, we have 3 TEs, 1 FB & 1 RB. We have ZERO WRs in this package. It is a pure power play. We ran from it, and then eventually did playaction out of it.

That's fine on the goal line, but what I am talking about is using it between the 20s, not just as a goal line play. And part of my point in using a 3rd TE is to get rid of Mckie. Keeping Mckie in the package only helps clutter it.

What I would like to see is our start out w/ Hester outside, but the rest inside. The opponent is forced to give up quicker coverage players and go w/ power defenders. Then I have Olsen split out wide, and thus create a mismatch w/ whoever is set to cover him. Olsen and Hester work deeper, which likely forces double coverage on Hester deep, while Olsen would have a mismatch and large open seem to work w/. Meanwhile, we have multiple options w/ Davis and Clark, not to mention Forte who has proven he can block and/or be a legit receiver.

I just think this formation provides many opportunities, as well as mismatches, while at the same time, I would argue we give up little to nothing by way of blocking (Mckie does little) or weapons, as I am not sure any of our WRs are that much of an upgrade over our TEs.

Nfol,

I'm going to have to agree with you on this because I wrote pretty much the same thoughts on the other thread after your 3 TE post there. The versatility of Olsen and Forte make this a great package for us. You could even split out both Olsen and Forte and go empty backfield which means a defense might have a heavy package on the field and be forced to cover routes like a nickel D. I think that gives us a big advantage.