Taking a look at last yrs draft

Connorbear

I think that it is panning out very well:

- Olsen + (looks to be breaking out)

- Bazuin - (el busto)

- Okwo - (el busto but Angelo did go get Nick Roach who has looked very good on special teams)

- Wolfe + (leads special teams in tackles this yr; just scored his 1st TD)

- Payne + (starting and leading the team in tackles and interceptions)

- Graham + (has started last 3 games and is a special teams stud)

- McBride + (started 9 games last yr and did a very good job in relief last week)

- Bryant - (el busto - decided he did not want to play football)

Angelo also picked up Tonei who looked good at the end of last yr. I realize that Bazuin and Okwo are huge disappointments but all other players have been very solid contributors.

Peace :dabears

- Bazuin - (el busto)

- Okwo - (el busto but Angelo did go get Nick Roach who has looked very good on special teams)

- McBride + (started 9 games last yr and did a very good job in relief last week)

Angelo also picked up Tonei who looked good at the end of last yr. I realize that Bazuin and Okwo are huge disappointments but all other players have been very solid contributors.

He's not only a ST stud, but he's a defensive stud. He's done an admirable job filling in for the injured Nate Vasher, and even when he comes back, he'll be watching the game standing behind the white line with how well Corey has played.

Olsen looked to be a slam dunk in the draft...however, whiffing on 2 of your top 3 picks is not good. I am happy some of the later picks are proving to have value though. I'd use the terms, "panning out better than we had thought" than "panning out very well".

- Bazuin - (el busto)

Olsen looked to be a slam dunk in the draft...however, whiffing on 2 of your top 3 picks is not good. I am happy some of the later picks are proving to have value though. I'd use the terms, "panning out better than we had thought" than "panning out very well".

Doesn't matter how he looked at the draft, only how he performs in tbe NFL.

Let me ask you this, if he ends up being an all pro does that compensate for the next 2 picks?

He's not only a ST stud, but he's a defensive stud. He's done an admirable job filling in for the injured Nate Vasher, and even when he comes back, he'll be watching the game standing behind the white line with how well Corey has played.

Graham was already getting reps on running downs when Vash was healthy. I assume that will continue when Vash is healthy.

True enough...

I don't think so. We all know there are many picks that are busts, but I think the expectation is that your first round pick should be a stud, your 2nd round pick a starter, and your 3rd a solid contributor.

I think you could make more of a case for some of the lower picks making up for the whiffs...

Doesn't matter how he looked at the draft, only how he performs in tbe NFL.

Let me ask you this, if he ends up being an all pro does that compensate for the next 2 picks?

True enough...

I don't think so. We all know there are many picks that are busts, but I think the expectation is that your first round pick should be a stud, your 2nd round pick a starter, and your 3rd a solid contributor.

I think you could make more of a case for some of the lower picks making up for the whiffs...

The pick that concerns me most is the 2nd. The 3rd, Okwo, was effectively replaced by Roach. Bazuin is gone and will not be replaced. Like you said, hopefully Payne, Graham, and McBride will continue to make up for this blown pick.

- Bazuin - (el busto)

Not bad 5 out of 8 contributing. Like you said, we brought in Roach and thought he was a better option than Okwo. If Roach didn't pan out, you can bet Okwo would probably still be here. Whether or not he'd be contributing, we will never know. Also, at the time when we drafted Bauzin, we had no idea if we'd have Alex Brown or not. He was upset with the Bears and they were trying to trade him. Bauzin would've been more important and maybe have contributed, but injuries and his slowness to learn led him to be cut.

Looking at the draft last year and now this year, maybe JA has a somewhat of a clue.

Williams -/+ yet to be seen, but he is now ready to step in. The question is, do we break the chemistry the oline has created.

Forte + Looked great early on, but hasn't been getting those rushing yds we want lately. Still a great pick, and the experts thought we should have taken Brohm instead. 3rd string Brohm sitting behind Flynn.

Bennett - Hasn't had his chance yet, but looked great at times in TC and also looked poor. I think once the team/coaches give him a chance and Kyle hits him w/ some passes, he will come along.

Harrison + Has stepped up and shined in a crowded DT crew. Future looks good for him.

Steltz -/+ got a little playing time against MIN, looked alright. He is basically a SS and as long a Payne stays healthy, Steltz won't see much time on the D.

Bowman -/+ Looked pretty good in his one game (Dusty II ?) Named co-NFC player of the week. Too bad he is out for the year b/c I think with our brittle CB's he'd see a lot of time. Are we blessed or cursed with our CB's

Tillman,Vasher,Graham,Manning,McBride, and Bowman. I can see a future w/ Tillman at FS and Vasher at Nickle.

Kellen Davis -/+ Looked great in TC, but is behind some pretty good TE's right now. Once he gets his footwork down on blocking this kid will be a steal.

Baldwin - on the practice squad right now, but he may develop, still some hope.

Adams - showed promise in TC, but got hurt. Right now, I believe he is not signed, but once healthy we get first dibs.

LaRoque - on 53 man roster and playing ST, if he can get some big plays, maybe he gets a +

Barton - Was waived with intentions to sign to practice squad, but MIA claimed him, then SF claimed him from MIA

Monk - was waived and then signed with NYG which they cut and he is currently not in NFL

Technically, it's better if your later round picks are great and your early round picks bust than the reverse. Later round picks are cheaper.

Typically, however, the later round picks that step up only look great because they were later round picks. It's nice to find the sleeper in the 6th that ends up playing like a 3rd, because it does wonders for the salary cap management, but I'd rather find some first day guys that look like All-Pros.

Not bad 5 out of 8 contributing. Like you said, we brought in Roach and thought he was a better option than Okwo. If Roach didn't pan out, you can bet Okwo would probably still be here. Whether or not he'd be contributing, we will never know. Also, at the time when we drafted Bauzin, we had no idea if we'd have Alex Brown or not. He was upset with the Bears and they were trying to trade him. Bauzin would've been more important and maybe have contributed, but injuries and his slowness to learn led him to be cut.

Looking at the draft last year and now this year, maybe JA has a somewhat of a clue.

Williams -/+ yet to be seen, but he is now ready to step in. The question is, do we break the chemistry the oline has created.

Forte + Looked great early on, but hasn't been getting those rushing yds we want lately. Still a great pick, and the experts thought we should have taken Brohm instead. 3rd string Brohm sitting behind Flynn.

Bennett - Hasn't had his chance yet, but looked great at times in TC and also looked poor. I think once the team/coaches give him a chance and Kyle hits him w/ some passes, he will come along.

Harrison + Has stepped up and shined in a crowded DT crew. Future looks good for him.

Steltz -/+ got a little playing time against MIN, looked alright. He is basically a SS and as long a Payne stays healthy, Steltz won't see much time on the D.

Bowman -/+ Looked pretty good in his one game (Dusty II ?) Named co-NFC player of the week. Too bad he is out for the year b/c I think with our brittle CB's he'd see a lot of time. Are we blessed or cursed with our CB's

Tillman,Vasher,Graham,Manning,McBride, and Bowman. I can see a future w/ Tillman at FS and Vasher at Nickle.

Kellen Davis -/+ Looked great in TC, but is behind some pretty good TE's right now. Once he gets his footwork down on blocking this kid will be a steal.

Baldwin - on the practice squad right now, but he may develop, still some hope.

Adams - showed promise in TC, but got hurt. Right now, I believe he is not signed, but once healthy we get first dibs.

LaRoque - on 53 man roster and playing ST, if he can get some big plays, maybe he gets a +

Barton - Was waived with intentions to sign to practice squad, but MIA claimed him, then SF claimed him from MIA

Monk - was waived and then signed with NYG which they cut and he is currently not in NFL

I fear he'll end up like Bradley. He'll be a guy who appears to have more talent than the other WRs, but can't get on the field. With Bradley is was mostly injuries, but when healthy he was in Lovie's doghouse. Bennett may be fourth or fifth on the depth chart, and could end up being a wasted pick.

i have to disagree with *reservations. if you look at our needs as a team vs. individual positions drafted, 2007 is a poor draft for the health of our franchise. round 1 i expect very good to excellent starters. round 2 i expect good to very good starters. round 3 i expect good+ starters/backups who may take a year or two to develop into quality starters. here is why i question this...

offense:

linemen - without any doubt we were at critical mass to draft offensive linemen. we virtually had no left tackle, our left guard remembers the maine, our center is aging fast, our right guard has played average, and we have a good+ right tackle playing the wrong position (LOT) and is himself getting up in age. it's innexcusable for a gm to not to take this into account!! to draft ONE lineman in the 4th round, a smaller replacement projected to play center in probably the strongest position on our aging offensive line, is mindboggling.

if you want quality players you draft tackles in rounds 1-2 and quality guards in rounds 2-3. rounds 4-5 for project guards and good depth.

quarterback - was also a real need. we were going into the 2007 season with an eratic, oft injured grossman whose contract was UP at the end of the season. his backup was griese, an aging vet nobody would project as a quality starter for the long haul, and orton a young qb who had played average at best the previous year. a first day pick, if the quality was there, was certainly warranted.

if you want quality players you draft qb's on the first day.

wide receiver? - the only real threat to play #1 was on the last year of his contract. it could be said this would have been a wasted pick without any real qb in our future and maybe so.

running back - we were set with our 5th pick in the draft and even let a producing free agent running back, jones, leave. so that left us solid at that position with peterson and any ham and egg free agent to fill in at #3.

tight end: fairly solid but not spectacular at that point. usually picked in rounds 3-4 unless one is exceptional.

defense:

defensive ends - good to very good DE's with plenty of depth. brown, ogy, anderson, odoniji. no need what-so-ever.

tackles - all pro harris, tank a good+ tackle plus a lot of depth. no need there for a first day pick.

linebackers - probably the most solid position on our entire team. all-pro's briggs and url with an average hilly, and plenty of depth even if briggs was in the final year of his contract.

safeties - this was the only position on defense that warranted a first day pick. manning was failing to fill in the free safety spot and brown was always injured. this is a critical position in the defense we run.

cornerback - again a solid starting crew in vasher and peanut. no first day priority.

that leaves us with offensive need at the top of the list and safety for the first day. and what do we do? other than olson, a no brainer pick in the first round, we draft at every position of strength on our team. we draft bazuin, an injured de from a small school in round 2, a position we are in no need at all, we draft okwo in round 3 a physical reach at a position we are strongest in, and our 2nd pick in the 3rd round we pick a small runningback from a small school who projects as a special team player due to his size in another very strong position on our team. this does not lead to "panning out very well", in my opinion, when you ignore completely the real needs of your team on the first day.

- Olsen + (looks to be breaking out) - a solid pick but a no brainer as he dropped further than expected for this good of a player.

- Bazuin - (el busto) - a complete mistake drafting not only a player of this calibre from a small school but a defensive end at all.

- Okwo - (el busto but Angelo did go get Nick Roach who has looked very good on special teams) - a REACH for a player of this talent into a position of strength on our defense.

- Wolfe + (leads special teams in tackles this yr; just scored his 1st TD) - again another reach for a player whose physical aspects project him as a special teams player or at best a #2 runningback.

in my opinion, you DON'T draft first day players to be special team players or for depth!!! these should be the quality potential all-pro pro-bowl calibre talent.

2nd day picks: i question angelo on trading down from higher picks to draft these late round players in the 7th round when we usually just cut them. where is the value in that? anyway...

- Payne + (starting and leading the team in tackles and interceptions) a decent 5th round pick at a need position. so far he is playing average at best with a lot of room for imporvement.

- Graham + (has started last 3 games and is a special teams stud) - another decent 5th round pick. the problem does rise as to whether we needed another defensive back or offensive lineman more.

- McBride + (started 9 games last yr and did a very good job in relief last week) - again a good pick at this position in the draft (7th round)

so on a final note, first day picks round 1-3 are critical picks to get right. not only is this where you are putting up major portions of your salary cap, but is where you find the best athletes you expect to be QUALITY starters. this is where angelo has failed to a major degree.

*it's too early to give any of these players a true grade as to their value at this time.

Completely forgot Beekman was our 4th round pick last yr. Didn't sniff the field last yr but has played above expectations this yr.

I agree it is too early to really judge any of these players seriously. After next yr is when you really look back on a draft (3 yrs removed).