ORTON'S THE MAN?

Wesson44

Chicago Bears QB Kyle Orton's Great Game Against the Vikings Could Have Been Greater

Posted Oct 21st 2008 11:47AM by Michael David Smith (author feed)

Filed under: Bears

Bears quarterback Kyle Orton had a fantastic game on Sunday against the Vikings, and he's looking nothing at all like the guy who started for the Bears in 2005.

Orton completed 21 of 32 passes for 283 yards, with two touchdowns and no interceptions, for a passer rating of 114.5 on Sunday -- the sixth best passer rating in the league in Week 7. But he actually did that on a day when his receivers didn't do him any favors.

Marty Booker dropped what should have been a 14-yard touchdown pass at the start of the second quarter. He also dropped what should have been a 24-yard touchdown pass late in the second quarter. And Desmond Clark fumbled what should have been a 36-yard touchdown pass at the 1-yard line.

So what would Orton's numbers have looked like if his receivers had held onto the ball on those three plays? He would have had two more completions, 39 more yards and three more touchdowns, meaning he would have gone 23 of 32 for 322 yards, with five touchdowns and no interceptions. That's a passer rating of 143.5, which would have been the best passer rating in the NFL on the week.

So, yes, Orton had a great game on Sunday. Even greater than the numbers suggest.

We will find out what we have when we play the Titans.

I agree it will be intersting to see how he does against Tenn, but I am not sure we should say that is the barometer. That is a hell of a D, and not one I think we should expect Orton to play great against.

I agree it will be intersting to see how he does against Tenn, but I am not sure we should say that is the barometer. That is a hell of a D, and not one I think we should expect Orton to play great against.

Everyone needs to realize he is going to have some bad games this year. Let's just hope he minimizes the mistakes and does not have a disaster game like Rex was prone to have.

Peace :dabears

Where has Re...I mean Bears 88 been?

I'm right here. Here we go again with the Orton/Rex arguing.

I hope both leave after this year. It'd save me the headache.

Now, i'm getting called Rex. Nice try bud. I caught that part. ;)

Wow...can we put that in a headline?

That you want both Rex and Orton to be gone next year!

Man, talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater...

I'm right here. Here we go again with the Orton/Rex arguing.

I hope both leave after this year. It'd save me the headache.

Now, i'm getting called Rex. Nice try bud. I caught that part. ;)

I realize Orton will have a bad game somewhere down the line. However, if he wants to be thought of as a big time QB (and paid like one as many have suggested) in this league he needs to play like one in the big games. I'll wait to see how we fair against the Titans and it's a home game so that should make things better for our Oline.