Bum thumb to sideline Hillenmeyer

Wesson44

Bum thumb to sideline Hillenmeyer

By Vaughn McClure | Tribune reporter

9:52 PM CDT, October 28, 2008

A source close to Hunter Hillenmeyer said there is "no chance" the linebacker will play against Detroit on Sunday after the linebacker underwent surgery on his right thumb last week.

Hillenmeyer is expected to be out a few weeks, according to the source. Nick Roach is expected to replace Hillenmeyer as the starter at strong-side linebacker.

Hillenmeyer did not practice Monday and declined to discuss his injury status. Coach Lovie Smith did not publicly rule out any player for Sunday's game.

Hillenmeyer started the first seven games, recording 21 tackles and a sack. He registered a season-high nine tackles in the Bears' last game, a 48-41 victory over Minnesota.

Related links

2008 Bears schedule, results Hillenmeyer's early-season struggles in coverage prompted the coaching staff to give Roach some reps during a Week 4 victory over Philadelphia. Roach has been a major contributor on special teams despite injuring his left shoulder against the Lions the first time the teams met.

<_ since when does a linebacker need thumbs this strikes me as slightly ridiculous...put it in soft cast wrap up and play.>

Sometimes I think that these injuries give the coaches excuses to sit a player and bring in new blood, instead of making the tough decision to sit a vet. Hopefully it's not the case, but Lovie has shown himself lath to sit vets.

I agree with that on Lovie being slow to replace poorly performing vet players the last couple years. However, this year seems to be different, much more like he was in his first year as the Bears coach. Before he got hurt Vasher was already giving up snaps to Graham. Before Roach got hurt he was taking snaps from Hillenmeyer. Metcalf went out with an injury in camp but never recovered his starting job from Beekman.

We are doing fine in terms of injuries because, save for Harris who was injured before this year, all these guys should heal relatively quickly and be back. I'm not saying we don't have any injury difficulties right now, but let's be honest, what we've seen this year is nothing compared to the average Bear year. If it keeps going like this (as it did in 2006) we're going to be not just a playoff team, but one of the better ones. Considering we've had 1 decently healthy season in the last half-decade, we're still owed another IMO. Why not this season?