Are we playing prevent for 60 min?

madlithuanian

I'm not disecting the details of what's going on, but looking at it as a broad brush stroke.

I don't think the Titans had a pass over 20 yards last Sunday.

Could it be, we're employing the "bend don't break" philosophy and are actually bending and breaking?

I just swear, we're giving up everything in front and nothing in back...and to me that screams "prevent". Which we all know prevents winning...

I do realize that...don't get me wrong. I know they aren't playing "according to Hoyle" prevent.

I mean more in philosophy. It just seems that whatever hybrid of the cover 2 we are playing, the results are similar to a prevent defense...other than stopping the run.

Opponents are just passing silly on us short to med...

On that Larry Meyer "3 questions" thing on the Bears website, he said they actually barely played it.

Sapp actually touched on this a bit, as have others. Our scheme is not a prevent, but it is a sort of bend/don't break. Basically, in the cover two, you simply try to keep everything in front of you. That doesn't mean if the WR runs 30 yards downfield, you just keep him in front of you. It means you line up your LBs and DBs at certain points on the field, and keep everything in front.

As Sapp, and others said, in this system, the idea is to make the offense drive 10 plays (or whatever) to get downfield and into the endzone. The idea is that, in that period of time, your defense will make a play, whether that is a sack that forces a kick or a turnover.

But there lies the problem. We are doing it right, keeping everything in front of us, but we are not making plays. We are not getting sacks. We are not forcing fumbles, or picking off the ball. Because our defense is not making plays, the other team may need 10 plays to get downfield, but they do get downfield and eventually score.

Yeah...

It just seems to me that teams that rely on the turnover are a tease. It pretty much means if you don't get a few turnovers, you'll lose. Seems to me we're are too reliant on the turnover...

Don't get me wrong, it's great when it happens. But if it's expected, it usually spells trouble. I think the key is to have a defense that can hold teams to under 20...and we can't do that.

Sapp actually touched on this a bit, as have others. Our scheme is not a prevent, but it is a sort of bend/don't break. Basically, in the cover two, you simply try to keep everything in front of you. That doesn't mean if the WR runs 30 yards downfield, you just keep him in front of you. It means you line up your LBs and DBs at certain points on the field, and keep everything in front.

As Sapp, and others said, in this system, the idea is to make the offense drive 10 plays (or whatever) to get downfield and into the endzone. The idea is that, in that period of time, your defense will make a play, whether that is a sack that forces a kick or a turnover.

But there lies the problem. We are doing it right, keeping everything in front of us, but we are not making plays. We are not getting sacks. We are not forcing fumbles, or picking off the ball. Because our defense is not making plays, the other team may need 10 plays to get downfield, but they do get downfield and eventually score.