Field position no excuse?

Ed Hochuli 3:16

After the game, I heard Rex say about how the offense was put into a hole with such bad field position consistently. Well, according to Larry Meyer, that is no excuse..

I keep hearing and reading how the bad field position was the reason the Bears offense couldn’t get anything going against the Titans. But I seem to remember the Bears overcoming bad field position in previous games with Kyle Orton at quarterback. Am I crazy?

Phil J.

Evanston, Illinois

I’m not qualified to evaluate your mental health, but you’re right about the offense overcoming bad field position in previous weeks. In seven and a half games with Kyle Orton at quarterback, the Bears had 12 possessions that started inside their own 15-yard line. They picked up at least one first down on eight of those drives, marched at least 56 yards five times (86, 84, 67, 59, 56), scored one touchdown and one field goal and averaged 37.5 yards on those possessions. In a game and a half with Rex Grossman at quarterback, the Bears had eight possessions that started inside their own 15-yard line. They picked up at least one first down on only two of those drives, never marched more than 25 yards, scored no points and averaged just 6.8 yards per possession.

Thoughts?

Quite simply, a team with Devin Hester on it should not lose the field position game.

It was the offense being in effective at moving the ball that ended up with them being in bad field position.

The numbers that stood out to me wasn't exactly who did better in those situations. It was the number of times each QB had faced that situation. Orton played in what, 7.5 games and Grossman 1.5 games. Orton was only in that position 12 times and Grossman 8 in only 1 and a half games.

You have to expect the O to be able to at least change the field position and they couldn't. And a part of the offense's problem was not having a competent QB.

I personally think the D is getting a bad rap for the game on Sunday, and I mainly blame the O.

It was a self perpetuating problem. They got pinned deep and kept going three and out so what do expect when Brad is consistently punting from the end zone. They are going to get the ball back at mid field or on your side of the field. So what if you hold them they pooch punt it and pin you deep again. I don't have the interest to go back and watch but I'd be curious to know how much of the game time wise was spent on the Bears side of the 50.

To blame bad field position in this game holds little credibility. it's like me putting my hand in boiling water and whining cause it's hot. If you get pinned deep and can't move the chains how do you expect to not have bad field position. IMO quit blaming the result of your own ineptitude and do something about it. I don't know maybe complete some of those passes, make good decisions, etc. It's also play calling Rex had a good first drive and then the offense went into hibernation after that. Watching this game it seemed like we were polar opposites of the Titans. We had success running and we were stuffing their running game which I believe was 3rd in the league. However that success at running the ball and our ability to stop the run was negated by our lack of ability in the passing game and their success in the passing game. So what if we stopped their run game we made Kerry Collins look like Joe Montana despite the fact that they are likely the one team in the league who might be able to challenge us for the worst WR corp in the league. We made little or no adjustment to how they were attacking us. On you saw what a quality coordinator does when somethings not working Tenn abandoned the run game for the most part and went with what was working. When they were picking us appart we continued to stack the box, why? By contrast we continued to throw despite the fact that Rex couldn't hit the broad side of the barn.

Watching this game got me to thinking about the differences between Rex and Orton. I get the sense that Kyle can do more with less in the passing game than Rex can. Let's face it we don't exactly have a who's who of receivers. We have backups masquerading as starters. Booker was good once but he simply doesn't have it anymore. Davis is so so. Olsen IMO has made up for some of his past mistakes by making some pretty athletic catches which a couple of those he turned into first downs. Hester is really surprising me with his development I no longer think of him playing WR as a gimmick and more of it as a legit WR. Loyd is still not playing, Clark has been steady. IMHO Rex will only thrive in a system where all the other pieces are in place, meaning solid line, top quality receivers, solid run game. We have a line that's played better than expected, a respectable running game, and mediocre overall receiver corp. It seems like Orton gets more out of this offense as it stands than Rex does.

I've been a fan of Rex in the past. He's got the tools and skills, he's got the arm. What he seems to lack is the tool that counts the brains. I just question whether he has the mental fortitude to handle the QB position in the NFL. We all know he's done in Chicago... I might go as far as to say he's done in the NFL. I'm sure someone will sign him but I just don't see him returning to anywhere near the success he had early in 2006.

Stupid is as stupid does. Get bad field position and go three and out, then complain about having bad field position on the next possession? No leadership there. It's as bad a statement as Tommie Harris blaming 3 step drops for the lack of QB pressure. I didn't think it possible but Rex and Harris are making Briggs sound smart.

But the two sides of that go together.

You get pinned deep, and go three and out. You punt the ball, and your defense then makes a stand, but you end up getting the ball back in crap position again.

Our offenses inability to pickup 1st downs and get out of those bad field positions only meant that either (a) the defense was going to allow a short field score or (B) our offense would get the ball back, but in crap field position again.

Orton has been in bad field position, but because our offense w/ him under center does a better job of at least picking up a couple first downs, you punt the ball deeper, and thus (if the D holds) avoid being right back where you started from.

It was the offense being in effective at moving the ball that ended up with them being in bad field position.

The numbers that stood out to me wasn't exactly who did better in those situations. It was the number of times each QB had faced that situation. Orton played in what, 7.5 games and Grossman 1.5 games. Orton was only in that position 12 times and Grossman 8 in only 1 and a half games.

You have to expect the O to be able to at least change the field position and they couldn't. And a part of the offense's problem was not having a competent QB.

I personally think the D is getting a bad rap for the game on Sunday, and I mainly blame the O.

I think the D looked like crap, but also tend to agree the O was mainly to blame. I do not know, as I don't have the stats in front of me, but I thought I heard on the radio that each of Tenn's TDs were like 50 yard drives, or less. One was much less. Tenn was getting the ball w/ great field position all day, and we really just didn't give up that much.

W/ that said, I think two key reasons our D is getting ripped are: a pass rush that was so bad, it has become a national talking point and our inability to make stops on 3rd downs. Two go together, but still. Sapp talked about we gave up a 3rd and 10. He talked about how 3rd and 10 in the cover two is "gravy" and should never be converted, but we showed such a lack of discipline in giving it up (I think it was a bootleg).

I definitely don't think the D looked good, and due to the talent/salary we have on D, there is more than enough reason to rip them in general, but in terms of why we lost this game, I agree that is far more on Rex.