Bears D = 'steal' curtain

madlithuanian

I have no problem bashing the DT position, but I think it should rank 3rd on the list of theft.

Number One should go to the DEs, who slightly edge the CBs. While the DT is key in our scheme, so is the DE position. Both are expected to get to the QB. I consider our DEs greater thieves than the DT unit because (1) while Harris is paid a ton, Dusty/Harrison/Adams are really not getting much coin. On the other hand, both starting DEs are making nice money, and Brown is coming off a new deal. So I see one thief v two here. And (2) while Harris doesn't have the numbers, I have seen far more effort out of him than from the DE position. Harris is getting double teams and fighting. Brown and Wale seem more likely to run a coupel steps, stand up and hope to swat the ball. They act as if they are scared the QB will spit on them if they get too close. So DE is my #1 theft position.

Number two has to go to the CBs. Again, as w/ the logic above, we have two starters who were recently given large deals, and both have stunk. He we have two players who were considered pro bowl caliber, and yet neither have even looked like starter grade. At DT, you have one pro bowler, and a bunch of unknowns or unproven commodities.

Number three then goes to DT. The above logic is why I put DE and CB higher on the theft list, but that doesn't mean our DTs are not thieves.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....-d-steal-c.html

Normally, I dislike this writer, but I couldn't help but laugh at the name for the D he came up with!

I have no problem bashing the DT position, but I think it should rank 3rd on the list of theft.

Number One should go to the DEs, who slightly edge the CBs. While the DT is key in our scheme, so is the DE position. Both are expected to get to the QB. I consider our DEs greater thieves than the DT unit because (1) while Harris is paid a ton, Dusty/Harrison/Adams are really not getting much coin. On the other hand, both starting DEs are making nice money, and Brown is coming off a new deal. So I see one thief v two here. And (2) while Harris doesn't have the numbers, I have seen far more effort out of him than from the DE position. Harris is getting double teams and fighting. Brown and Wale seem more likely to run a coupel steps, stand up and hope to swat the ball. They act as if they are scared the QB will spit on them if they get too close. So DE is my #1 theft position.

Number two has to go to the CBs. Again, as w/ the logic above, we have two starters who were recently given large deals, and both have stunk. He we have two players who were considered pro bowl caliber, and yet neither have even looked like starter grade. At DT, you have one pro bowler, and a bunch of unknowns or unproven commodities.

Number three then goes to DT. The above logic is why I put DE and CB higher on the theft list, but that doesn't mean our DTs are not thieves.

Of course, I'd amend that to read:

1) Lovie - for requesting/keeping Babich

2) Babich - for having no clue

3) DEs - bad, but coached to "circle the wagons"

4) CBs - bad, but coached to give the cushion and the slant

5) DTs - bad, but having a difficult time when the rest of the D is not doing their job

Of course, I'd amend that to read:

1) Lovie - for requesting/keeping Babich

2) Babich - for having no clue

I know you are not looking for an argument here. Obviously, I was just looking at the players, but I am on record many times saying I feel our #1 problem is coaching. I simply have too hard of a time believing that our players all got this bad this fast.

3) DEs - bad, but coached to "circle the wagons"

No argument, but at the same time, (a) I have not seen the intensity I have seen in the past and (B) as little as I think of Babich, he was the DC last year, and we had far more sacks. Wale (9), Urlacher & Anderson w/ 5 each and Alex Brown (4.5), and Brown did that basically after only getting in as a starter the final month of the season. So I agree Babich is hurting this unit, but I also do not believe the unit is w/o their share of blame.

4) CBs - bad, but coached to give the cushion and the slant

That is why I have not blasted the CBs for giving up inside slant routes. At the same time, I don't think you can ignore the weak tackling and coverage (outside of the slants). Also, there have been several times our CBs gave up the out pass, and if we believe Vasher, that should never happen as that is one of the few routes they should be primed to take away.

5) DTs - bad, but having a difficult time when the rest of the D is not doing their job

To be honest, this is one of the few areas where I think personnel is key. I think Harris is working hard, but Dusty is doing too little next to him. That is why I feel we should be starting Harrison (his lack of playing time is on the coaches). Harris had what, 8 sacks last year. He is on pace for 1/2 that this year. I think the other areas key off harris more than visa versa. I can easily factor coaching, but at the same time, I also think our #2 DT position is failing to get it done, and that is hurting Harris.

Regarding the defense...

1. It seems that rumors of Dusty Dvoracek's competence were GREATLY overstated. He played very well in last year's opener before getting hurt, so there was a feeling that the Bears had the prototypical nose tackle for their scheme. Unfortunately, Lovie and Babich putting 8-9 in the box on every play leading up to the Packer disaster disguised Dusty's shortcomings - he can't hold the point of attack, something a nose tackle MUST do. In 2005 and 2006, the Bears had Ian Scott and Alphonso Boone playing the nose - while neither was a prototypical "Lovie" tackle, they were both much more stout than Dusty, who may be another Angelo bust-out if this trend continues. Dusty shouldn't even be in uniform on Sunday. I've NEVER seen a Bear DT get butchered the way he was on Sunday. He should have worn a dress to work.

2. The DE's. Ogun has slowed down and Alex Brown was NEVER the prototypical RDE in Lovie's scheme. Both are pretty solid against the run, but neither have much quickness or get off the ball. Mark Anderson? Stick a fork in him. He's the ultimate flash in the pan.

3. The Bears have no free safety. Mike Brown can't run well enough to play the position and Kevin Payne SUCKS. Jerry Angelo has found ONE bona-fide safety in the draft since he's been in Chicago - and he now plays for Carolina. Danneal Manning? Nice KO returner, BRUTAL safety and clueless nickle back.

4. Nate Vasher's Bear career should be hanging in the balance. Corey Graham is hardly a top-flight corner, but he at least gets after it - Vasher is playing not to get hurt.

5. Since his shoulder injuries, Peanut Tillman has been a lousy corner as well. Hopefully, it's a health issue.

6. Brian Urlacher? He's slowing down

7. Tommie Harris? The ultimate thief. A charlatan and a fraud. This guy needs to find a new address.

8. With all of this said, it's fair to expect the defense NOT to be as dominant as they were, but they shouldn't be as rancid as they are now. A HUGE part of the problem is how Lovie and Babich reacted to last year's defensive disaster. Determined to a. stop the run at all costs and b. prevent any and all big pass plays - the Bears put their entire roster "in the box" on almost every play. They also play their safeties 20-22 yards off the LOS - deeper than perhaps any team. They also refuse to take inside position, thus giving up the slant time and again. The pass rush is weak to begin with, but it has been hampered by receivers breaking open IMMEDIATELY. They TRIED to change this in the Green Bay game with disastrous results, as Mike McCarthy was one step ahead of Lovie and Babich the entire afternoon. This defense plays SCARED - the coaches and players.

9. Lovie Smith and Jerry Angelo are approaching a cross-roads. Lovie, whose defensive acumen when he arrived was a bit overstated - the Rams didn't want him the in the first place (they wanted Marinelli) and, by the time he left, the Rams defense was already on a steep decline. The presence of larger NT's, Brian Urlacher and Chico Rivera uplifted the Bear defense for a couple of years. Will Lovie allow pride to prevent him from making the necessary move of dumping his overwhelmed buddy Bubba Gump Babich and hire a real defensive coordinator? Relying on smaller, quicker players CAN work - it does for the Giants - but you need creativity, you need to adapt immediately when teams adjust to what you're doing. Lovie, because he's NOT a true defensive savant, is only comfortable with his "system." Ron Rivera took him out of his comfort zone so, at the first opportunity, he dumped him. Lovie needs to decide if he wants to be a long-term success as a head coach OR if he wants to be just another schmuck who got lucky and stole $20 million from his employer. Jerry Angelo? He allowed the Bears to go into the 2008 season with one of the most laughably awful group of offensive players one will ever see. Much to everyone's delight, up until the last two weeks, that offense overachieved. While there's plenty to criticize Ron Turner for, let's recall just how little Bear cap $$ is invested on that side of the ball. Look at the wide receivers. Look at the offensive line. HOPEFULLY, Kyle Orton's uber-lousy performance against Green Bay was injury induced and NOT part of a trend - if it's the former, the Bears have something. In lieu of TRULY addressing the offense, Angelo has spent most of the Bears' cap space on defense. After last year's collapse, people assumed it was mostly due to injuries - which certainly played a role but, arguably, a defense should NEVER go from 5th in the NFL in 28th in the NFL in one year, injuries or not. So, Angelo dumps his money there...and no team is getting LESS from its investment in a unit than the Bears and their defense. While Angelo is safe until the end of his contract, if his performance continues to set the Bears back - if he continues to waste McCaskey money on malcontents and no-talent draft picks - if Virginia passes on, he could be on thin ice.

Great post!

Regarding the defense...

1. It seems that rumors of Dusty Dvoracek's competence were GREATLY overstated. He played very well in last year's opener before getting hurt, so there was a feeling that the Bears had the prototypical nose tackle for their scheme. Unfortunately, Lovie and Babich putting 8-9 in the box on every play leading up to the Packer disaster disguised Dusty's shortcomings - he can't hold the point of attack, something a nose tackle MUST do. In 2005 and 2006, the Bears had Ian Scott and Alphonso Boone playing the nose - while neither was a prototypical "Lovie" tackle, they were both much more stout than Dusty, who may be another Angelo bust-out if this trend continues. Dusty shouldn't even be in uniform on Sunday. I've NEVER seen a Bear DT get butchered the way he was on Sunday. He should have worn a dress to work.

2. The DE's. Ogun has slowed down and Alex Brown was NEVER the prototypical RDE in Lovie's scheme. Both are pretty solid against the run, but neither have much quickness or get off the ball. Mark Anderson? Stick a fork in him. He's the ultimate flash in the pan.

3. The Bears have no free safety. Mike Brown can't run well enough to play the position and Kevin Payne SUCKS. Jerry Angelo has found ONE bona-fide safety in the draft since he's been in Chicago - and he now plays for Carolina. Danneal Manning? Nice KO returner, BRUTAL safety and clueless nickle back.

4. Nate Vasher's Bear career should be hanging in the balance. Corey Graham is hardly a top-flight corner, but he at least gets after it - Vasher is playing not to get hurt.

5. Since his shoulder injuries, Peanut Tillman has been a lousy corner as well. Hopefully, it's a health issue.

6. Brian Urlacher? He's slowing down

7. Tommie Harris? The ultimate thief. A charlatan and a fraud. This guy needs to find a new address.

8. With all of this said, it's fair to expect the defense NOT to be as dominant as they were, but they shouldn't be as rancid as they are now. A HUGE part of the problem is how Lovie and Babich reacted to last year's defensive disaster. Determined to a. stop the run at all costs and b. prevent any and all big pass plays - the Bears put their entire roster "in the box" on almost every play. They also play their safeties 20-22 yards off the LOS - deeper than perhaps any team. They also refuse to take inside position, thus giving up the slant time and again. The pass rush is weak to begin with, but it has been hampered by receivers breaking open IMMEDIATELY. They TRIED to change this in the Green Bay game with disastrous results, as Mike McCarthy was one step ahead of Lovie and Babich the entire afternoon. This defense plays SCARED - the coaches and players.

9. Lovie Smith and Jerry Angelo are approaching a cross-roads. Lovie, whose defensive acumen when he arrived was a bit overstated - the Rams didn't want him the in the first place (they wanted Marinelli) and, by the time he left, the Rams defense was already on a steep decline. The presence of larger NT's, Brian Urlacher and Chico Rivera uplifted the Bear defense for a couple of years. Will Lovie allow pride to prevent him from making the necessary move of dumping his overwhelmed buddy Bubba Gump Babich and hire a real defensive coordinator? Relying on smaller, quicker players CAN work - it does for the Giants - but you need creativity, you need to adapt immediately when teams adjust to what you're doing. Lovie, because he's NOT a true defensive savant, is only comfortable with his "system." Ron Rivera took him out of his comfort zone so, at the first opportunity, he dumped him. Lovie needs to decide if he wants to be a long-term success as a head coach OR if he wants to be just another schmuck who got lucky and stole $20 million from his employer. Jerry Angelo? He allowed the Bears to go into the 2008 season with one of the most laughably awful group of offensive players one will ever see. Much to everyone's delight, up until the last two weeks, that offense overachieved. While there's plenty to criticize Ron Turner for, let's recall just how little Bear cap $$ is invested on that side of the ball. Look at the wide receivers. Look at the offensive line. HOPEFULLY, Kyle Orton's uber-lousy performance against Green Bay was injury induced and NOT part of a trend - if it's the former, the Bears have something. In lieu of TRULY addressing the offense, Angelo has spent most of the Bears' cap space on defense. After last year's collapse, people assumed it was mostly due to injuries - which certainly played a role but, arguably, a defense should NEVER go from 5th in the NFL in 28th in the NFL in one year, injuries or not. So, Angelo dumps his money there...and no team is getting LESS from its investment in a unit than the Bears and their defense. While Angelo is safe until the end of his contract, if his performance continues to set the Bears back - if he continues to waste McCaskey money on malcontents and no-talent draft picks - if Virginia passes on, he could be on thin ice.