Buyer's Market for Defensive Coordinators

dawhizz

From Don Banks' "Snap Judgments" at cnnsi.com:

By some estimates, it's going to be a double-digit year in terms of NFL head coaching changes. But if there's any silver lining to all that impending turnover, it's that teams looking for an upgrade at defensive coordinator might find an unbelievably deep buyer's market to choose from.

How so? Well, consider the potential defensive coordinator prospects if there's a bloodbath in the head coaching ranks: Wade Phillips, Romeo Crennel, Marvin Lewis, Rod Marinelli, Jim Haslett, Dick Jauron, Herman Edwards and Mike Singletary are all ex-defensive coaches who are thought to be in varying degrees of jeopardy.

And then there are the current defensive coordinators who could be free if the head coach they work for gets canned: Oakland's Rob Ryan, Philadelphia's Jim Johnson, Cincinnati's Mike Zimmer, Minnesota's Leslie Frazier, Kansas City's Gunther Cunningham, and San Diego's Ron Rivera. Throw into that group one more name: Ex-San Diego defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell, who was fired and replaced by Rivera in October.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the Bears defense clearly not getting it done against the pass, I wonder if a change at defensive coordinator would be in order considering the strong crop Banks mentions. I know the name everyone will jump on is Singletary, but that seems like it would be a horrible idea if you're someone who actually wants Lovie to succeed, because after the first loss, everyone in Chicago will be clamoring for Singletary as head coach. But a guy like Crennel or Lewis, if they just had to focus on defense, could be as important an addition as the Bears can make this offseason.

Why is it I'm drawn to Ryan...?

From Don Banks' "Snap Judgments" at cnnsi.com:

By some estimates, it's going to be a double-digit year in terms of NFL head coaching changes. But if there's any silver lining to all that impending turnover, it's that teams looking for an upgrade at defensive coordinator might find an unbelievably deep buyer's market to choose from.

How so? Well, consider the potential defensive coordinator prospects if there's a bloodbath in the head coaching ranks: Wade Phillips, Romeo Crennel, Marvin Lewis, Rod Marinelli, Jim Haslett, Dick Jauron, Herman Edwards and Mike Singletary are all ex-defensive coaches who are thought to be in varying degrees of jeopardy.

And then there are the current defensive coordinators who could be free if the head coach they work for gets canned: Oakland's Rob Ryan, Philadelphia's Jim Johnson, Cincinnati's Mike Zimmer, Minnesota's Leslie Frazier, Kansas City's Gunther Cunningham, and San Diego's Ron Rivera. Throw into that group one more name: Ex-San Diego defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell, who was fired and replaced by Rivera in October.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the Bears defense clearly not getting it done against the pass, I wonder if a change at defensive coordinator would be in order considering the strong crop Banks mentions. I know the name everyone will jump on is Singletary, but that seems like it would be a horrible idea if you're someone who actually wants Lovie to succeed, because after the first loss, everyone in Chicago will be clamoring for Singletary as head coach. But a guy like Crennel or Lewis, if they just had to focus on defense, could be as important an addition as the Bears can make this offseason.

"X" takes a square!

...and also, while the team as a whole is bad, the Raiders D isn't bad.

Hey, I wouldn't mind getting him based on his coaching ability. The fact that he is the son of that nimrod, hpwever, should have nothing to do with it.

Peace :dabears

I'm going to guess because his dad is Buddy.

I like Ryan as well but I see no chance that Lovie will hire the guy.

lovie is a schmuck...this team needs some character. This is a very mundane, ho-hum, lifeless team. When was the last time you have seen lovie get into it with a ref. we need some fire and a coach that will light a fire under the players.

our best bet it to hire Cowher and let him run the show...of course the lame ownership will not do that.