Wolfe out for 3-4 wks

Connorbear

Wow, another one of JA's picks that never saw the field won't see the field?

Is that really news? ;)

(...yes, I knew he did ok on ST...but just saying...)

Looks like Jones will be active again. I'm sure Bears88 will be happy.

Peace :dabears

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2008/12/ha...fe_34.html#more

Wow, another one of JA's picks that never saw the field won't see the field?

Is that really news? ;)

(...yes, I knew he did ok on ST...but just saying...)

I still think Wolfe is one of JAs top 5 worst draft picks. We didnt need him at KR or RB and we used a 3rd on him which was a huge reach as it is. Ill never understand this draft pick, the only lifeline to him on this team is good special team play, which doesnt warrant his draft position.

The legacy of baffling decisions continues on...

I still think Wolfe is one of JAs top 5 worst draft picks. We didnt need him at KR or RB and we used a 3rd on him which was a huge reach as it is. Ill never understand this draft pick, the only lifeline to him on this team is good special team play, which doesnt warrant his draft position.

How can anyone really get down on Wolfe?! Seriously. Everyone's disdain for him is baffling. The dude has gotten absolutely zero chance to get on the field and carry the ball, and when he has gotten the ball he's been severely misused. Give the guy a chance! Instead, however, we get to watch Forte absolutely run into the ground, with AP - known to bust his butt yet remain consistently average - getting the "breather carries". Meanwhile, Kevin Jones (a talent known to be clearly better than AP), and Wolfe (a nearly completely unknown when it comes to actually playing at the position for which he was drafted) have to sit and wonder if they'll ever get a chance.

Meanwhile, Wolfe's fought hard as hell to get a shot to do something, and despite the size that gets used against him during arguments and debates, he's turned into a complete stud on special teams. Nobody saw him coming, but because of his skill-set and his desire, he's gone above and beyond expectations of his nay-sayers.

But, yeah, this coaching staff has a legacy and history of intelligent personnel decisions. They have shown time and again that they start the right players, and bench the guys who are worse. The continually show the forward thinking to take chances with new guys and young guys when they simply out-perform incumbent veterans. :rolleyes:

All hatred or negativity directed towards Wolfe is completely unwarranted and without merit. I'd say it borders on ignorant since he's so rarely seen the backfield. Granted, he was probably a reach pick. However, if he's never used, or given a chance, then, yeah, it's a wasted pick. But the waste doesn't necessarily mean that he was a failure; it just means that the guy never got a shot.

If it wasn't for Olsen, that 07 draft would be really ugly right now... Bazuin, Okwo, and Wolfe... ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Well, you have to consider Olsen. Also, you are leaving out Beekman, Graham, Payne, and McBride (plus Roach who he pulled from the SD practice squad). All of them have contributed this year.

Point well made...

While he hasn't really done anything...I oddly do think a different staff could have figured out a way to utilize his skills better.

How can anyone really get down on Wolfe?! Seriously. Everyone's disdain for him is baffling. The dude has gotten absolutely zero chance to get on the field and carry the ball, and when he has gotten the ball he's been severely misused. Give the guy a chance! Instead, however, we get to watch Forte absolutely run into the ground, with AP - known to bust his butt yet remain consistently average - getting the "breather carries". Meanwhile, Kevin Jones (a talent known to be clearly better than AP), and Wolfe (a nearly completely unknown when it comes to actually playing at the position for which he was drafted) have to sit and wonder if they'll ever get a chance.

Meanwhile, Wolfe's fought hard as hell to get a shot to do something, and despite the size that gets used against him during arguments and debates, he's turned into a complete stud on special teams. Nobody saw him coming, but because of his skill-set and his desire, he's gone above and beyond expectations of his nay-sayers.

But, yeah, this coaching staff has a legacy and history of intelligent personnel decisions. They have shown time and again that they start the right players, and bench the guys who are worse. The continually show the forward thinking to take chances with new guys and young guys when they simply out-perform incumbent veterans. :rolleyes:

All hatred or negativity directed towards Wolfe is completely unwarranted and without merit. I'd say it borders on ignorant since he's so rarely seen the backfield. Granted, he was probably a reach pick. However, if he's never used, or given a chance, then, yeah, it's a wasted pick. But the waste doesn't necessarily mean that he was a failure; it just means that the guy never got a shot.

Great post. He was a reach pick but he has not been used correctly. He has excelled at special teams and needs to be given chances on offense. This staff is going to run Forte into the ground.

The reason he hasnt gotten a chance on the field is because he isnt needed. Thats why I hated the pick. It tells us a lot that he didnt even get much playing time at the end of last year. They obviously werent planning on using him as a RB or a KR, so why did they draft him? The reach of the pick is what makes it worse too. He was not a third round pick, so to take him there without using him makes it a terrible pick.

Looks like Jones will be active again. I'm sure Bears88 will be happy.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2008/12/ha...fe_34.html#more

You might be right but I still think it's still a possibility that KJ's still inactive vs Saints.

IMO someone who can play special teams will have to take Wolfe's spot more so than be the #3 rb.

The reason he hasnt gotten a chance on the field is because he isnt needed. Thats why I hated the pick. It tells us a lot that he didnt even get much playing time at the end of last year. They obviously werent planning on using him as a RB or a KR, so why did they draft him? The reach of the pick is what makes it worse too. He was not a third round pick, so to take him there without using him makes it a terrible pick.

I don't recall whether you were for the Forte draft pick. If you were, then you're being hypocritical about the need for a RB. The need was there. That's why Forte was drafted. I love the fact that the Bears have Forte, but who's to say the Bears would needed/drafted him if Wolfe had been given a little bit of P.T. and shown that he was good enough to be a pro RB. Then the Bears could have just picked up KJ like they did, split the carries between the two, and the Bears could have addressed yet another need in the draft. But without seeing what a player has, the point unfortunately is moot.

As for whether or not anything "tells us a lot", I'd disagree. I don't think it tells us much at all. Unless, of course, you're talking about the ineptitude this coaching staff continues to display when it comes to evaluating talent. Now, if the staff picked him and had the intention of not playing him - which would have been completely stupid, but not unbelievable from this crew - then you have a point.

A very good chance BEARS could have gotten Wolfe in rd 5.

Angelo had it in his head Wolfe was the next Warren Dunn and made a huge reach and drafted him in rd 3.

JA deserves all the crap thrown his way on the Wolfe pick. I know many folks including my self who hated

the pick from the moment it was announced.

I also happen to agree with Jason.

I don't recall whether you were for the Forte draft pick. If you were, then you're being hypocritical about the need for a RB. The need was there. That's why Forte was drafted. I love the fact that the Bears have Forte, but who's to say the Bears would needed/drafted him if Wolfe had been given a little bit of P.T. and shown that he was good enough to be a pro RB. Then the Bears could have just picked up KJ like they did, split the carries between the two, and the Bears could have addressed yet another need in the draft. But without seeing what a player has, the point unfortunately is moot.

As for whether or not anything "tells us a lot", I'd disagree. I don't think it tells us much at all. Unless, of course, you're talking about the ineptitude this coaching staff continues to display when it comes to evaluating talent. Now, if the staff picked him and had the intention of not playing him - which would have been completely stupid, but not unbelievable from this crew - then you have a point.

Im not shitting on Wolfe directly. Im not questioning anything about him. I personally dont think too highly of him as a player, but I havent seen anything of him so Im not going to simply say he sucks without justifying it. I did like us drafting a back last year but that was because the three we had last year didnt appear to be NFL caliber starters, any of them. Im also, saying, if the Bears werent planning on using him at RB, and we already had Hester, it was ridiculous to take him in the third round when he probably would have been there in the fifth or beyond. What was the point in drafting him, thats why its a terrible draft pick.

As far as him not playing last year, it tells me that he didnt do enough to justify getting any carries, even in a lost season where AP was carrying the load. To me, that says there might have been some questions about his ability in practice.

Im not shitting on Wolfe directly. Im not questioning anything about him. I personally dont think too highly of him as a player, but I havent seen anything of him so Im not going to simply say he sucks without justifying it. I did like us drafting a back last year but that was because the three we had last year didnt appear to be NFL caliber starters, any of them. Im also, saying, if the Bears werent planning on using him at RB, and we already had Hester, it was ridiculous to take him in the third round when he probably would have been there in the fifth or beyond. What was the point in drafting him, thats why its a terrible draft pick.

As far as him not playing last year, it tells me that he didnt do enough to justify getting any carries, even in a lost season where AP was carrying the load. To me, that says there might have been some questions about his ability in practice.

The first part I don't have a problem with. If the coaches didn't plan on using him, then there was no real need to draft him. If I recall, however, one of the reasons was to put him on the kick return team as an up-man to punish the opponents for kicking away from Hester. Yet another plan that sounds good, yet screwed up by the coaches.

The last part of your comments, in bold, I disagree with completely. This coaching staff has proven time and again that they are somewhat incompetent at best, and borderline saboteurs at worst. If Wolfe, or any other player for that matter (read: Bennett, Riddeau, Lloyd, Haas, etc.) don't get on the field, it's not an automatic mark against their abilities. It could just as easily be a blight on this coaching staff's already stained resume. You can't possibly believe that ALL of what goes into the coaches decisions has to do with talent. The coaches are humans and will naturally have favorites. It's entirely possible that some better players are on the bench, but they aren't buddies with Lovie, Turner, and Babich. It happens in every other job in the world; I don't see why it wouldn't happen with the Bears.

The first part I don't have a problem with. If the coaches didn't plan on using him, then there was no real need to draft him. If I recall, however, one of the reasons was to put him on the kick return team as an up-man to punish the opponents for kicking away from Hester. Yet another plan that sounds good, yet screwed up by the coaches.

He was one of the up-men on kickoffs last yr and the beginning of this yr. He did have 2 to 3 nice returns on kick offs that went away from Hester.