Good article on Toub

Connorbear

Thanks for the post Connor! Good read.

I wonder if there's a good possibility he'll be our HC after Smith's contract is up...

Fits the mold somewhat... He'll be had fairly cheap coming in w/o any HC experience...

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...-bear19.article

I think he will be a head coach in the next 5 yrs.

Peace :dabears

I'm really starting to buy into the idea of special teams coordinators being some of the best fits for head coaches. I was first kind of skeptical about Harbaugh as a HC at first, but now I am sold. And when you think about it, it makes perfect sense. Special teams coordinators need to work with everyone on a team. They work with WR's, DB's, LB's, RB's, FB's, DL, OL, TE's, as well as all the LS, P, and K. For example, while a coach specialized on defense will interact with and be around everyone on D, they will barely interact with anyone on O. They might talk to guys on O and such, but there won't be that type of connection they have with their defensive players. Toub however interacts with everyone and makes connections with almost everyone on the team, most likely. Also, being a special teams coordinator, you have to work with new players every week. Look at us, and how many times we'd lose players and sign players off of other teams. I guarantee no other coach on the staff has worked with as many different players as Toub has.

Another thing, Toub has consistently had to work different players into his schemes every week. This is something very difficult to do, and yet, the special teams has kept improving over the weeks. Also, as a HC, Toub would likely not interfere with his coaches at all, and let them coach. Toub has been mainly a special teams coach his whole career and is not specialized in anything but that. I feel sometimes, with a lot of teams, that the HC tries to coach too much. Toub would be able to let his OC and DC do their job, which is a must, IMO.

And most importantly, from everything I have heard, read, and seen for myself, Toub is a very intelligent person, and most importantly, he gets fired up and is not afraid to get in someone's face. To me, he doesn't seem like the type of coach you would stay away from because he is a psycho, but rather he is a cool and calm guy who will stay that way unless you're not doing what you're suppossed to be doing.

Sign me up for Dave Toub as HC after we hopefully fire Lovie after next season.

Great analysis BearSox!

I'm sold!

I'm really starting to buy into the idea of special teams coordinators being some of the best fits for head coaches. I was first kind of skeptical about Harbaugh as a HC at first, but now I am sold. And when you think about it, it makes perfect sense. Special teams coordinators need to work with everyone on a team. They work with WR's, DB's, LB's, RB's, FB's, DL, OL, TE's, as well as all the LS, P, and K. For example, while a coach specialized on defense will interact with and be around everyone on D, they will barely interact with anyone on O. They might talk to guys on O and such, but there won't be that type of connection they have with their defensive players. Toub however interacts with everyone and makes connections with almost everyone on the team, most likely. Also, being a special teams coordinator, you have to work with new players every week. Look at us, and how many times we'd lose players and sign players off of other teams. I guarantee no other coach on the staff has worked with as many different players as Toub has.

Another thing, Toub has consistently had to work different players into his schemes every week. This is something very difficult to do, and yet, the special teams has kept improving over the weeks. Also, as a HC, Toub would likely not interfere with his coaches at all, and let them coach. Toub has been mainly a special teams coach his whole career and is not specialized in anything but that. I feel sometimes, with a lot of teams, that the HC tries to coach too much. Toub would be able to let his OC and DC do their job, which is a must, IMO.

And most importantly, from everything I have heard, read, and seen for myself, Toub is a very intelligent person, and most importantly, he gets fired up and is not afraid to get in someone's face. To me, he doesn't seem like the type of coach you would stay away from because he is a psycho, but rather he is a cool and calm guy who will stay that way unless you're not doing what you're suppossed to be doing.

Sign me up for Dave Toub as HC after we hopefully fire Lovie after next season.