Rashied Davis

Wesson44

Bears' receiving corps gets makeover: Rashied Davis out as starter

December 23, 2008

Rashied Davis didn't hide his frustration leading into Monday night's game as criticism of his play mounted. Imagine how the Bears' receiver feels now after being benched.

Davis, who entered the game with a team-high seven drops, was replaced in the starting lineup by Brandon Lloyd. Davis had started the previous five games and 12 of the team's 14.

"It's not easy to be sitting back and watching when you know you're capable enough to be out there playing," Davis said. "I just did my job. I thank God that I was able to go out and have some opportunities to make some plays [on special teams]."

Rookie Earl Bennett entered Monday's game as the third receiver on the Bears' first series. Marty Booker was the fourth receiver to see the field after missing the last game with a rib injury.

Davis stood on the sideline the first half, removing his parka just for special teams assignments. The shakeup was easy to understand: Bears receivers entered the game 29th in the league in receptions with 111 and 27th in receiving yards with 1,503.

"We shook it up a little bit," offensive coordinator Ron Turner said. "Marty was still banged up a little bit with his ribs. The biggest thing was getting Earl in there. ... Rashied is a great competitor, and he's not happy with the way he's played, but he'll work his way out of it. He's a team guy."

The main thing about this article is that it signifies how slowly this coaching staff makes decisions and adjustments.

You know how you'll hear someone say something, and you have a incredibly hilarious, witty, sharp, biting comment as a retort...but you think of it the next day? Well, that's this coaching staff. Except they think of the retort weeks and months later.

I'm quite positive Turner had his first child because he put the condom on after sex.

Agreed. He hit the wall hard. I really thought he'd add some veteran savvy. Man was I wrong about that...

Agreed, looking back, and I can't believe I'm saying this but, we should have just hung on to Moose. At the start of the season though there was little support to keep Moose and I was one of us who was happy we picked up Booker but man has that been a waste.