For all the Cowher man crushers

Alaskan Grizzly

Head coaching record Cill Cowher

Team Year Regular Season Post Season

PIT 1992 11 5 0 .688 1st in AFC Central 0 1 .000 Lost to Buffalo Bills in AFC Divisional Game.

PIT 1993 9 7 0 .563 2nd in AFC Central 0 1 .000 Lost to Kansas City Chiefs in AFC Wild-Card Game.

PIT 1994 12 4 0 .750 1st in AFC Central 1 1 .500 Lost to San Diego Chargers in AFC Championship Game.

PIT 1995 11 5 0 .688 1st in AFC Central 2 1 .667 Lost to Dallas Cowboys in Super Bowl XXX.

PIT 1996 10 6 0 .625 1st in AFC Central 1 1 .500 Lost to New England Patriots in AFC Divisional Game.

PIT 1997 11 5 0 .688 1st in AFC Central 1 1 .500 Lost to Denver Broncos in AFC Championship Game.

PIT 1998 7 9 0 .438 3rd in AFC Central - - - -

PIT 1999 6 10 0 .375 4th in AFC Central - - - -

PIT 2000 9 7 0 .563 3rd in AFC Central - - - -

PIT 2001 13 3 0 .812 1st in AFC Central 1 1 .500 Lost to New England Patriots in AFC Championship Game.

PIT 2002 10 5 1 .656 1st in AFC North 1 1 .500 Lost to Tennessee Titans in AFC Divisional Game.

PIT 2003 6 10 0 .375 3rd in AFC North - - - -

PIT 2004 15 1 0 .938 1st in AFC North 1 1 .500 Lost to New England Patriots in AFC Championship Game.

PIT 2005 11 5 0 .688 2nd in AFC North 4 0 1.000 Super Bowl XL Champions.

PIT 2006 8 8 0 .500 3rd in AFC North - - - -

PIT Total 149 90 1 .623 12 9 .571

Total[10] 149 90 1 .623 12 9 .571

Lovie Smith

CHI 2004 5 11 0 .312 4th in NFC North - - - -

CHI 2005 11 5 0 .688 1st in NFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Carolina in Divisional Round

CHI 2006 13 3 0 .812 1st in NFC North 2 1 .666 Defeated Seattle in Divisional Playoff

Defeated New Orleans in Conference Final

Lost to Indianapolis in Super Bowl XLI

CHI 2007 7 9 0 .437 4th in NFC North - - - -

CHI 2008 9 6 0 .600 'Season in progress'

' - - - -

Total 45 34 0 .570 2 2 .500

Overall Total 47 36 0 .566

Now imagine if the Pittsburgh folks had given up in '98, would they have gotten that second Super Bowl appearance? Let alone win it? I am sure this post will spark some debate but that is good. I still think keep Lovie and look out Houston.

Head coaching record Cill Cowher

PIT 1992 11 5 0 .688 1st in AFC Central 0 1 .000 Lost to Buffalo Bills in AFC Divisional Game.

PIT 1993 9 7 0 .563 2nd in AFC Central 0 1 .000 Lost to Kansas City Chiefs in AFC Wild-Card Game.

PIT 1994 12 4 0 .750 1st in AFC Central 1 1 .500 Lost to San Diego Chargers in AFC Championship Game.

PIT 1995 11 5 0 .688 1st in AFC Central 2 1 .667 Lost to Dallas Cowboys in Super Bowl XXX.

PIT 1996 10 6 0 .625 1st in AFC Central 1 1 .500 Lost to New England Patriots in AFC Divisional Game.

PIT 1997 11 5 0 .688 1st in AFC Central 1 1 .500 Lost to Denver Broncos in AFC Championship Game.

PIT 1998 7 9 0 .438 3rd in AFC Central - - - -

PIT 1999 6 10 0 .375 4th in AFC Central - - - -

PIT 2000 9 7 0 .563 3rd in AFC Central - - - -

PIT 2001 13 3 0 .812 1st in AFC Central 1 1 .500 Lost to New England Patriots in AFC Championship Game.

PIT 2002 10 5 1 .656 1st in AFC North 1 1 .500 Lost to Tennessee Titans in AFC Divisional Game.

PIT 2003 6 10 0 .375 3rd in AFC North - - - -

PIT 2004 15 1 0 .938 1st in AFC North 1 1 .500 Lost to New England Patriots in AFC Championship Game.

PIT 2005 11 5 0 .688 2nd in AFC North 4 0 1.000 Super Bowl XL Champions.

PIT 2006 8 8 0 .500 3rd in AFC North - - - -

PIT Total 149 90 1 .623 12 9 .571

Total[10] 149 90 1 .623 12 9 .571

Lovie Smith

CHI 2004 5 11 0 .312 4th in NFC North - - - -

CHI 2005 11 5 0 .688 1st in NFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Carolina in Divisional Round

CHI 2006 13 3 0 .812 1st in NFC North 2 1 .666 Defeated Seattle in Divisional Playoff

Defeated New Orleans in Conference Final

Lost to Indianapolis in Super Bowl XLI

CHI 2007 7 9 0 .437 4th in NFC North - - - -

CHI 2008 9 6 0 .600 'Season in progress'

' - - - -

Total 45 34 0 .570 2 2 .500

Overall Total 47 36 0 .566

Now imagine if the Pittsburgh folks had given up in '98, would they have gotten that second Super Bowl appearance? Let alone win it? I am sure this post will spark some debate but that is good. I still think keep Lovie and look out Houston.

What would have happened if Pittsburgh gave up in 1998? They would have given up on a coach who took them to 5 division titles in 7 yrs, the playoffs 6 yrs straight AND 3 AFC chanmpionships and 1 SB with a winning PCT of 633. But let's look at what makes Cowher different, aside from the fact that his record of success is undoubtedly better. Cowher was known as a guy who could adjust very quickly IN-GAME, he was constantly challenging his assistants to challenge him, keep him on his toes and the communication was open. While his skills as a talent evaluator were ok, his skill at getting the most out of his players is his most important trait. This is also a guy who would tell his players, hey, I made a mistake but I'm learning, stick with me guys. Lovie Smith, after 5 years has nowhere near THAT type of resume and I doubt after 7, it will be near what Cowhers was. One other thing stat really stood out about Cowher was when I watched the Tennessee-Pittsburgh game last week, I watched Cowher as he remarked about the Titans stamping on the terrible towels and you could see the bile rising in him and he said HE would not forget that and THAT would be where he would start motivating his guys. The REAL concern I have about Smith is that he just does NOT seem to understand the in game adjustment part of this business. His defensive scheme is failing and he's doing nothing but defending it, HE doesn't have it in him to admit he made a mistake and maybe that's because he he's too stubborn to listen to anyone else. He launched the one guy who could tweak his scheme and make it work but THAT guy challenged him and he didn't like it. Hey, just look at the Packers game. Here is the biggest game of the year, at home, playoffs hopes, rivalry and HIS team came out flat. Nothing. Could you imagine Lovie Smith invoking some old fashioned venom in his players? Hell no. He doesn't have it in him. I don't know what he said at halftime and I don't care, if he had been in tune with his coaches and his team, he would have known by Thursday that they weren't ready to play. His attitude is too laid back, he has no sense of urgency and THAT is what makes him an average coach. The great ones have a sense of urgency and believe there is no tomorrow, they don't have to get to the must win game to know that. They operate with that mentality.

If nothing else, we need new Coordinators and Lovie better do something THIS off season or next season will definitely be his last.

Well said...

What would have happened if Pittsburgh gave up in 1998? They would have given up on a coach who took them to 5 division titles in 7 yrs, the playoffs 6 yrs straight AND 3 AFC chanmpionships and 1 SB with a winning PCT of 633. But let's look at what makes Cowher different, aside from the fact that his record of success is undoubtedly better. Cowher was known as a guy who could adjust very quickly IN-GAME, he was constantly challenging his assistants to challenge him, keep him on his toes and the communication was open. While his skills as a talent evaluator were ok, his skill at getting the most out of his players is his most important trait. This is also a guy who would tell his players, hey, I made a mistake but I'm learning, stick with me guys. Lovie Smith, after 5 years has nowhere near THAT type of resume and I doubt after 7, it will be near what Cowhers was. One other thing stat really stood out about Cowher was when I watched the Tennessee-Pittsburgh game last week, I watched Cowher as he remarked about the Titans stamping on the terrible towels and you could see the bile rising in him and he said HE would not forget that and THAT would be where he would start motivating his guys. The REAL concern I have about Smith is that he just does NOT seem to understand the in game adjustment part of this business. His defensive scheme is failing and he's doing nothing but defending it, HE doesn't have it in him to admit he made a mistake and maybe that's because he he's too stubborn to listen to anyone else. He launched the one guy who could tweak his scheme and make it work but THAT guy challenged him and he didn't like it. Hey, just look at the Packers game. Here is the biggest game of the year, at home, playoffs hopes, rivalry and HIS team came out flat. Nothing. Could you imagine Lovie Smith invoking some old fashioned venom in his players? Hell no. He doesn't have it in him. I don't know what he said at halftime and I don't care, if he had been in tune with his coaches and his team, he would have known by Thursday that they weren't ready to play. His attitude is too laid back, he has no sense of urgency and THAT is what makes him an average coach. The great ones have a sense of urgency and believe there is no tomorrow, they don't have to get to the must win game to know that. They operate with that mentality.

If nothing else, we need new Coordinators and Lovie better do something THIS off season or next season will definitely be his last.

Why should a coach have to get you pumped to play your hated rivals in a game that will keep you in the playoff hunt?

I would like Lovie to get more fired up too, but that BS is on the Vets.

Why should a coach have to get you pumped to play your hated rivals in a game that will keep you in the playoff hunt?

I would like Lovie to get more fired up too, but that BS is on the Vets.

This really has nothing to do with getting fired up. This has everything to do with keeping a pulse on your players and knowing whether they are ready to play. I think it's obvious by now that we don't have a leader on this team or if we do, he sure is keeping a low profile. You saw ray Lewis and Ed Reed in their game against Dallas? THAT is a leader. As I've said before, I think lovie Smith has neutured these players just like he's neutured the coaching staff.

I don't give a shit whether Smith EVER gets animated. I just want to know that he has his head in the game and knows whether his guys are giving their best effort and I don't think he does.

This really has nothing to do with getting fired up. This has everything to do with keeping a pulse on your players and knowing whether they are ready to play. I think it's obvious by now that we don't have a leader on this team or if we do, he sure is keeping a low profile. You saw ray Lewis and Ed Reed in their game against Dallas? THAT is a leader. As I've said before, I think lovie Smith has neutured these players just like he's neutured the coaching staff.

I don't give a shit whether Smith EVER gets animated. I just want to know that he has his head in the game and knows whether his guys are giving their best effort and I don't think he does.

Oh right, because before Lovie got here Url was a Lewis clone. Not even close, bro.

What makes you think that Lovie doesn't know when players aren't giving their best effort? And what is he supposed to do about it? If Url takes a play off, is Lovie supposed to bench him for Jamar Williams? Come on man, these are professionals. If they aren't ready to earn their huge checks before a huge game that is on them.

Oh right, because before Lovie got here Url was a Lewis clone. Not even close, bro.

What makes you think that Lovie doesn't know when players aren't giving their best effort? And what is he supposed to do about it? If Url takes a play off, is Lovie supposed to bench him for Jamar Williams? Come on man, these are professionals. If they aren't ready to earn their huge checks before a huge game that is on them.

No, I don't think that dumbshit knows when his guys are ready, whether they are giving their best effort or what their best effort is. Don't hand me that bullshit about these guys being professionals. Professionals don't get major paydays and then do nothing. AND a HC with his fingers on the pulse of his team doesn't let that happen.

If the lunatics are running the asylum, why do we even need a HC?

Great question...

A = Lions, Raiders, knicks... I know it's all in good fun, but when leadership is not present from the top down it does, will, and has occurred. We all have to remember, these guys are pro's but also very young men prone to lapses in character. I would be willing to bet my life that any of our players would mind playing for a great leader who jumped in their ass occassionally. Everyone knows we will never hire Cowher, as Lovie has done enough for another year. Next year will definately have to take another upswing.

No, I don't think that dumbshit knows when his guys are ready, whether they are giving their best effort or what their best effort is. Don't hand me that bullshit about these guys being professionals. Professionals don't get major paydays and then do nothing. AND a HC with his fingers on the pulse of his team doesn't let that happen.

Ahh so its bullshit, huh.

Whats bullshit is you attitude for a coach who, if he wins today, will have 3 ten win seasons in five years. Plus a Superbowl appearance.

This aint high school. Lovie should have to hand out little notes and put up BB material for his guys to be emotionally ready to play the PACKERS!!!!

A = Lions, Raiders, knicks... I know it's all in good fun, but when leadership is not present from the top down it does, will, and has occurred. We all have to remember, these guys are pro's but also very young men prone to lapses in character. I would be willing to bet my life that any of our players would mind playing for a great leader who jumped in their ass occassionally. Everyone knows we will never hire Cowher, as Lovie has done enough for another year. Next year will definately have to take another upswing.

So what happened when Larry Brown was with the Knicks? Great coach. Selfish players. Brown didn't forget how to coach.

Again, even if they did hire Cowher they would have to get rid of all the vets on defense that wouldn't go for his in your face style.

Look at Coughlin. They tried to ride is butt out of town. Then he slowly began replacing the vets with kids who do respond to that style.

Apparently Smith needs to...because the players sure as heck weren't ready to rock last Monday...

Ahh so its bullshit, huh.

Whats bullshit is you attitude for a coach who, if he wins today, will have 3 ten win seasons in five years. Plus a Superbowl appearance.

This aint high school. Lovie should have to hand out little notes and put up BB material for his guys to be emotionally ready to play the PACKERS!!!!

Apparently Smith needs to...because the players sure as heck weren't ready to rock last Monday...

So why dont you blame Url and Brown?

Its their defense.

Everyone wants to bring up Lewis and Reed. It would matter if Ronald McDonald was their coach. The defense would be ready to go.

Mad, you are at a point where if the wind blows the ball a certain way you blame Smith.

You need to take a step back and look at the body of work.

What was your projection for wins this year?

Brown isn't playing today...and even if he were, he'd probably be the only guy playing with all his heart & soul. I do blame Urlacher. But the buck stops at the coach. Why does he get a pass?

My projection was basically .500. So we are better than that. However, my initial thoughts were based on Forte being run of the mill, not potential ROY candidate. That alone changes expectations. And given the body of work and mishaps involved by this staff...I think they've performed poorly. Games are being won on blocked FG's, and PI calls... THis is not how you reall become a champion in the NFL. You play hard, you play smart. THis staff does not have the team doing either of those things.

So why dont you blame Url and Brown?

Its their defense.

Everyone wants to bring up Lewis and Reed. It would matter if Ronald McDonald was their coach. The defense would be ready to go.

Mad, you are at a point where if the wind blows the ball a certain way you blame Smith.

You need to take a step back and look at the body of work.

What was your projection for wins this year?