Kyle Orton

canadianbear

I am in a little disbelief that you guys are giving Orton another free pass and essentially crowning him our starter for years to come.

Yes, he had a good first few games, but ever since his injury he has been very poor.

He is incapable of throwing a deep ball. We cant stretch the field with him. Teams next year will simply play the saftey closer to the line and completely shut off his strength being the show passing game.

You cant teach arm strength. He doesnt have "it", never will.

Kyle missed at least 5 deep balls today to open receivers. That could have been the difference in the game.

Today, contrary to popular belief, I felt he was bad. He locked onto receivers (to the level of grand frustration) and held onto the ball too long in the pocket. As previously mentioned, he missed several open deep receivers.

Better receivers wont help us if Kyle cant get the ball downfield.

If Donovan is available, I pray the Bears go after him. Cassel would be fine too. But Kyle is not the answer, but he can be a solid #2.

Today was BS.

Before the injury I, as many others here, thought that we had something going here....As of now I see him as a great quality backup or a low line starter that I will still give another shot next season if Angelo doesn't go after anybody. He showed great promise this season and for whatever reason that ankle injury threw him off his rhythm. After the demise of this season I see us brining in a new OC and we'll see if he can produce under another scheme. Give him a 2 year extension to start for us while we bring someone else up is the route I see us going....I don't see Angelo bringing in any FA and I don't want Cassel.

Draft a good QB. Groom, and next season, have Orton, the draftee and Hanie fight it out...

I am in a little disbelief that you guys are giving Orton another free pass and essentially crowning him our starter for years to come.

Yes, he had a good first few games, but ever since his injury he has been very poor.

He is incapable of throwing a deep ball. We cant stretch the field with him. Teams next year will simply play the saftey closer to the line and completely shut off his strength being the show passing game.

Kyle missed at least 5 deep balls today to open receivers. That could have been the difference in the game.

Today, contrary to popular belief, I felt he was bad. He locked onto receivers (to the level of grand frustration) and held onto the ball too long in the pocket. As previously mentioned, he missed several open deep receivers.

If Donovan is available, I pray the Bears go after him. Cassel would be fine too. But Kyle is not the answer, but he can be a solid #2.

Today was BS.

There was a stat out there that we were the only team in the NFL without a pass longer than 30 yards (or something like that). Not yards after catch, but an actual pass longer than 30 yards. That makes it really easy for teams to shut us down and makes Forte's performance that much more amazing.

We need a QB that can stretch the field. Orton is great for game management, and he won't lose many games on his own, but he won't win many on his own either.

The WR situation clouds my judgment, because it is hard to judge how Orton performed with that sorry excuse for a WR corps.

Today was BS.

I'm in complete agreement. I think Kyle is like Rex in many ways. Some games good, some games bad. Kyle minimizes mistakes more than Rex, but he doesn't have the homerun aspect. Kyle is a great backup, but the Bears obviously need something more. I'd love it if the Bears got McNabb.

I'm in complete agreement. I think Kyle is like Rex in many ways. Some games good, some games bad. Kyle minimizes mistakes more than Rex, but he doesn't have the homerun aspect. Kyle is a great backup, but the Bears obviously need something more. I'd love it if the Bears got McNabb.

The Bears are not getting McNabb.

Peace

When the sorry ass WR are wide open and Orton misses them it's not hard to make a judgment on where the problem is. How many times does he have to underthrow Hester deep?

For those who think Turner is leaving there's no way. He got something out of nothing with this offense. Orton was at best average this year, he had one good 3 game run but besides that did nothing noteworthy. Nobody outside of Bears fans can name our WR other than Hester. Forte is a stud but everyone knows he's the only guy they have to stop and that's not all that hard to do with our Oline.

Orton looked good today. He will most likely be given the job next yr. Wait until 5 or 6 games in before deciding to extend him. Bring in a vet to compete with him (Garcia is my choice).

Peace

Orton looked good today? Come on now. Thats just biased. He was OK. I think his stats were better than his play (Dropped int's, missed opportunities etc).

He looked good throwing intermediate passes against a poor defense.

He stared down his receivers resulting in countless incompletions.

He held the ball far too long in the pocket.

Did I mention he rarely threw to his second option?

He missed passes downfield when they were open all day.

He simply doesnt have the arm strength. With our "receivers", we need a qb that can throw deep, or throw the out pass. Kyle can do neither.

I believe Kyle's success at the start of the year was due to the same set of circumstances Rex had success two years ago. No one knew what he could do well or poorly. Once they figured him out, they started taking away the short pass and dared him to complete something deep. He cant.

We need a new QB. Kyle can be our back up.

Now please just explain why Donovan is out of the question and what is wrong with Cassell?

Now please just explain why Donovan is out of the question and what is wrong with Cassell?

I am not against bring in a UFA QB or even drafting on high in the draft. I do think Orton would be a good backup. I am not as confident he will be an elite starter. I do also think Hanie has a bright future but I am not sure when he will get a legitimate chance to start.

Now if you are talking trading picks for a starting QB the only thing I have to say is "Rick Mieir"

Besides, until we can get WRs who can gain separation and "catch" the ball, will we ever have a passing game to compliment Forte and our running game? How much can we expect from any QB with the WRs we currently have and the OL we have giving him protection? How much is this vacancy of Offensive talent on our team handcuffing Turner?

Orton looked good today? Come on now. Thats just biased. He was OK. I think his stats were better than his play (Dropped int's, missed opportunities etc).

He looked good throwing intermediate passes against a poor defense.

He stared down his receivers resulting in countless incompletions.

He held the ball far too long in the pocket.

Did I mention he rarely threw to his second option?

He missed passes downfield when they were open all day.

He simply doesnt have the arm strength. With our "receivers", we need a qb that can throw deep, or throw the out pass. Kyle can do neither.

I believe Kyle's success at the start of the year was due to the same set of circumstances Rex had success two years ago. No one knew what he could do well or poorly. Once they figured him out, they started taking away the short pass and dared him to complete something deep. He cant.

We need a new QB. Kyle can be our back up.

Biased??? Whatever. I share same opinion as Dan Hampton on Orton. Call my biased if you like.

McNabb is out the question because he is still under contract with Philly and they just made the playoffs. He is not going anywhere.

Cassell - no thanks. He's surrounded by all-pros in NE. I personally can't imagine him having success here with WRs and O-line we have.

Peace :dabears

Biased??? Whatever. I share same opinion as Dan Hampton on Orton. Call my biased if you like.

McNabb is out the question because he is still under contract with Philly and they just made the playoffs. He is not going anywhere.

Cassell - no thanks. He's surrounded by all-pros in NE. I personally can't imagine him having success here with WRs and O-line we have.

Does Dan Hampton think he has a strong arm? Does he think he throws a good deep ball? Our receivers were open deep all year. He didnt complete one pass.

Look, we all want the same thing, but please stop with Kyle is the answer.

The receivers we have and want are home run threats. Whats the point if you cant get the ball to them?

I find it hard to believe Orton had no passes over 30yds in the air, regardless, he does after today.

The Chicago Bears should never stop looking for the next Peyton Manning or Brett Favre. It's their job. Nevertheless, new QB is no longer a priority. He's already better than half the starting Qb's in the NFL and he's only had one season as a 1st string starter (as opposed to 3rd string starter). Even when he has a poor day we never get a "bad Kyle" day.

Most importantly, we're the Chicago Bears, and wouldn't it be foolish to hold out for a Tom Brady when we've got a Kyle Orton and about 10 other positions that need improving more? In all your desire to have an elite QB, don't forget to rejoice we've finally got a good one with a strong arm, great height, leadership, work ethic, ball protection, and poise. Negatives are there, but don't come close to overpowering the positives. Feel free to discuss it anyway.

Does Dan Hampton think he has a strong arm? Does he think he throws a good deep ball? Our receivers were open deep all year. He didnt complete one pass.

The receivers we have and want are home run threats. Whats the point if you cant get the ball to them?

Hampton thinks Orton will return to the form he showed at the beginning of the yr when healthy. He also thinks our receivers are crap.

I think you need to please stop with Kyle is not the answer. ;) This is a discussion board and that is my opinion. I respect your opinion and will not ask you to change it. Please don't ask me to change mine.

The only home run threat we have is Hester. Davis is a 5th wide receiver who is a good special teamer. Lloyd does not have break away speed but isn't really a possession receiver. Booker was to be our possession receiver this yr but completely disappointed and looks to be gone. Bennett hardly saw the field.

We need a WR that can fight for the ball and move the chains. Whoseyourmamma is that player.

qfe

Orton is our QB for years to come. We scored more points this season, than we have in the past 10 years. (Excluding our SB season, which was about 90 points more).

Our defense is the reason we lost many games this season. Poor CB and LB plays (Briggs was a beast, don't get me wrong) ruined our season. Most points given up since 2002. Ugly play, everyone knows it. Don't blame Kyle - lowest INT thrown by the Bears in years. Sacked only 25 times all season long.

I say, not bad for technically a first year player. Can't count the rookie season by any means. Give Orton some WR that can actually run the routes and catch the balls (Booker and Rashied prime examples of the mistakes...) and he will be able to surprise all the haters.

IF THE DEFENSE SHOWED UP THIS SEASON, we would be 12-4 instead of 9-7. Carolina, Tampa Bay, and Atlanta were all lost due to 4th quarter meltdowns by the defense.

/flame off

Cassel is what he is because he has Moss, Welker, and plenty of other guys. Give Orton Moss and Welker, and he's Cassel.

McNabb is going to get a new deal and came on strong late in the season to yet again win back the faith of Philly fans and their organization. There is no way he is playing for a team next year that has something other then 2 wings on a green helmet.

Cassel is what he is because he has Moss, Welker, and plenty of other guys. Give Orton Moss and Welker, and he's Cassel.

McNabb is going to get a new deal and came on strong late in the season to yet again win back the faith of Philly fans and their organization. There is no way he is playing for a team next year that has something other then 2 wings on a green helmet.

With all due respect to you guys, but how can you continuously ignore the fact that Kyle is uncapable of throwing the ball down field?

Hester had beaten his coverage deep at least 15 times this year. Kyle was able to get him the ball a total of maybe 3 times. All under thrown balls and adjustments by hester.

Next year I promise you Kyle is going to look terrible because of his glaring inability to stretch the field.

Rex looked great and then teams adjusted, and even then his deep throw was respected. They will do the same to Kyle, taking away his short game and giving him the deep pass.

If an NFL QB cant make all the throws, he can NEVER be great. Name one that has.

I am worried, and feel it would be a huge mistake to simply accept Kyle as our future.

Garcia is not the answer. He will probably stay in TB. I dont want that guy at all. I would rather hanie be given a shot then another washed up running QB. I hate that guy. Rex is gone, Booker is gone along with Davis. I would keep Lloyd for another minimum deal. His height and catches he made were eye opening till the injury. And stupid head games by the coaching staff kept him off the field longer then should have been. Orton can hold the fort until the New guy is ready, but I say open up the training camp again to a legit competition and watch Hanie win it. There is just something about that kid that makes me think he is next big thing. If we let him go we will pay for it big time. Like Atlanta did when they traded Farve away.

Have you watched any of Cassells games? in case you have not, he makes good decisions, can play in cold weather and throws a very accurate deep ball.

Garcia is not the answer. He will probably stay in TB. I dont want that guy at all. I would rather hanie be given a shot then another washed up running QB. I hate that guy. Rex is gone, Booker is gone along with Davis. I would keep Lloyd for another minimum deal. His height and catches he made were eye opening till the injury. And stupid head games by the coaching staff kept him off the field longer then should have been. Orton can hold the fort until the New guy is ready, but I say open up the training camp again to a legit competition and watch Hanie win it. There is just something about that kid that makes me think he is next big thing. If we let him go we will pay for it big time. Like Atlanta did when they traded Farve away.

Grizz, I agree there is something very intringueing with this kid. I think he should be givien a shot next season because we need a total new approach on offense and def for that matter. I still like Cassells as a veteran to comae in a challege KO as well.

Have you watched any of Cassells games? in case you have not, he makes good decisions, can play in cold weather and throws a very accurate deep ball.

Yes, I have watched him play. He has looked very good at times. Of course, he is playing under the best coach in the league with a huge amount of talent around him.

Bottom line, we are not going to bring him in. He is going to make Rodgers money this offseason (approximately 60 million). We have too many other needs to throw that type of cash at him.

Agreed. We don't need another Chandler/Stewart...