Bears have 16th pick....

ASHKUM BEAR

Not sure how it works with teams with worse records making the playoffs, but the Bears shouldn't be to much lower than the 16th pick.

Here's what I'd like to see them draft.

1-16 Everette Brown DE FSU Bears sack totals have fallen off the charts and without pressure on the QB, this defense just will not work. Oguneleye has never lived up to his Miami days and will most likely be cut leaving a Brown/Brown combo at DE.

2-48 Phil Loadholdt OT OU With St. Clair's contract expiring, the Bears draft Loadholdt just in case St. Clair signs else where. John Tait, on the other hand didn't step up like expected when the Bears shifted him from the LT side to the RT. He wasn't the weak link, but he's not playing up to his salary.

3-81 Trevor Canfield G Cin Canfield is a big-run blocking guard who should help fortify the youth movement to the OLine. Hence the word Fortify (FORTE)

3-97 (comp) Brian Robiske WR OSU - The Bears were awarded a 3rd RD pick for losing Benard Berrian, so they select a WR who they hope in a year or two can pick up were BB left off.

4-112 Zack Follet OLB Cal - Follet has size 6-2 235 and speed 4.6 40 that Lovie likes. Follet is a tackling machine who likes to get after the QB.

5-145 Darcel McBath FS Texas Tech - McBath is quick for his size 6-1 198, 4.45 40. Has a knack for the ball 6 int/ 70 tackles, and an All Big XII caliber player. Not quite Taylor Mays size 6-4 225 or Willam Moore 6-1 227, but just as fast and he means just as much to the Red Raiders as a player as Mays/Moore.

6-176 Marcus Thigpen RB IU - Thigpen is brought in to add some lighting to Fortes thunder. Thigpen is a smaller/quicker back that is needed to change up the pace. Thipen is listed at 5-9 195, so he's bigger/quicker than Wolfe.

7-209 Drew Willy QB BUF - For all the MAC fans, this wet willy is for you.

We need to draft a QB higher...

Not sure how it works with teams with worse records making the playoffs, but the Bears shouldn't be to much lower than the 16th pick.

1-16 Everette Brown DE FSU Bears sack totals have fallen off the charts and without pressure on the QB, this defense just will not work. Oguneleye has never lived up to his Miami days and will most likely be cut leaving a Brown/Brown combo at DE.

2-48 Phil Loadholdt OT OU With St. Clair's contract expiring, the Bears draft Loadholdt just in case St. Clair signs else where. John Tait, on the other hand didn't step up like expected when the Bears shifted him from the LT side to the RT. He wasn't the weak link, but he's not playing up to his salary.

3-81 Trevor Canfield G Cin Canfield is a big-run blocking guard who should help fortify the youth movement to the OLine. Hence the word Fortify (FORTE)

3-97 (comp) Brian Robiske WR OSU - The Bears were awarded a 3rd RD pick for losing Benard Berrian, so they select a WR who they hope in a year or two can pick up were BB left off.

4-112 Zack Follet OLB Cal - Follet has size 6-2 235 and speed 4.6 40 that Lovie likes. Follet is a tackling machine who likes to get after the QB.

5-145 Darcel McBath FS Texas Tech - McBath is quick for his size 6-1 198, 4.45 40. Has a knack for the ball 6 int/ 70 tackles, and an All Big XII caliber player. Not quite Taylor Mays size 6-4 225 or Willam Moore 6-1 227, but just as fast and he means just as much to the Red Raiders as a player as Mays/Moore.

6-176 Marcus Thigpen RB IU - Thigpen is brought in to add some lighting to Fortes thunder. Thigpen is a smaller/quicker back that is needed to change up the pace. Thipen is listed at 5-9 195, so he's bigger/quicker than Wolfe.

This draft won't completely anger me, but the first pick would. I don't think the Bears should go DE in the first round. DE isn't even in the top five need positions for the Bears (e.g. OT, OG, QB, WR, FS).

This draft won't completely anger me, but the first pick would. I don't think the Bears should go DE in the first round. DE isn't even in the top five need positions for the Bears (e.g. OT, OG, QB, WR, FS).

DE is absolutely one of our top 5 needs. Brown can stay but Ogy has got to go. He is not worth the salary he is paid. We need pressure from our D-line and we are not getting it. I would replace QB with DE as a top 5 need. Draft a QB in the 4th round or lower to develop if you want.

Peace :dabears

DE is absolutely one of our top 5 needs. Brown can stay but Ogy has got to go. He is not worth the salary he is paid. We need pressure from our D-line and we are not getting it. I would replace QB with DE as a top 5 need. Draft a QB in the 4th round or lower to develop if you want.

I can buy that. It's a slight disagreement, but something I could live with provided the Bears' went hot and heavy for OLinemen in FA, the Draft, or both. Orton can be good, if not great, behind a stud OL, but with the current OL we may have already seen his plateau.

Here's the question: Do you think it's easier to find a late round steal to fill the DE athlete role, or is it easier to find the late round steal to fill the QB role? I'd say there are far more athletes in the late rounds than QBs, and the chance of finding a hidden gem is greater when simply looking for an athlete.

I can buy that. It's a slight disagreement, but something I could live with provided the Bears' went hot and heavy for OLinemen in FA, the Draft, or both. Orton can be good, if not great, behind a stud OL, but with the current OL we may have already seen his plateau.

Here's the question: Do you think it's easier to find a late round steal to fill the DE athlete role, or is it easier to find the late round steal to fill the QB role? I'd say there are far more athletes in the late rounds than QBs, and the chance of finding a hidden gem is greater when simply looking for an athlete.

You are most likely correct. Some thoughts:

- WTF happened to Mark Anderson? We should have never tried to make him a full time DE. I blame this on Babich and Brick Haley.

- Our other needs warrant us drafting a QB lower or not at all. To me, OL, FS, DE, and WR all would come before QB. I don't think we can afford to draft a QB before the 5th. Personally, I would simply bring in a FA to compete with Orton.

- I think Orton will be better with a better surrounding cast.

we will pick ahead of all the playoff teams, but after that, new england is the only team with a better record

21-32 will be the 12 playoffs teams, the patriots will pick 20th....then it comes to the 9-7 non playoff teams - Tampa, NYJ, Bears, Dallas

According to this the bears had the toughest schedule of those teams .... http://www.theredzone.org/strength.asp

thus the bears will pick 19th i believe

DE appears to be pretty deep this year, while safety is very thin...IMO bears 1st day picks should be spent on WR, DE, OL

we pick 18, and if the Chargers make it to the super bowl, then we pick 17.

daa84, playoffs don't determine the draft position. It goes by record. There are only two times playoffs determine the order... (1) the superbowl winner gets pick 32 and the runner up gets 31, regardless of regular season record and (2) as a tie breaker for teams with the same record (usually it is strength of schedule, but if you make it to the playoffs, you automatically pick last of all the tied teams).

Here is the current draft order:

http://www.gbnreport.com/weeklydraftorder.html

You are most likely correct. Some thoughts:

- WTF happened to Mark Anderson? We should have never tried to make him a full time DE. I blame this on Babich and Brick Haley.

I think that Anderson's use is perhaps the best possible argument that you can make against Babich, in terms of not realizing he's a very effective pass rusher but is blown up by the run. He needs to be a guy you rotate constantly in and out depending on the situation.

we pick 18, and if the Chargers make it to the super bowl, then we pick 17.

daa84, playoffs don't determine the draft position. It goes by record. There are only two times playoffs determine the order... (1) the superbowl winner gets pick 32 and the runner up gets 31, regardless of regular season record and (2) as a tie breaker for teams with the same record (usually it is strength of schedule, but if you make it to the playoffs, you automatically pick last of all the tied teams).

Here is the current draft order:

http://www.gbnreport.com/weeklydraftorder.html

Thanks, I wasn't sure how it worked since we had a better record than SD and tied w/ ARZ. I am know rooting for SD to win it all : )

My problem is that routinely throughout the season we'd send a guy at the QB untouched, and he'd dump off a short pass to a guy who's wide open in space and run for 10 more yards.

IMO our D-linemen can't be effective when either the coverage or scheme is awful.

Either way, Babbich must go.

First off, when you say late RD, are you talking about late RD1 or are you talking about later rounds 4-7? Looking at it as later RD1 through RD2, since we can really use a legit starting quality DE and it won't hurt to find a real QB.

Looking back the past 4 drafts, there were 11 QBs taken between 15-64. 3/11 are starters, 4/11 are decent #2's, 2/11 complete unknowns and 2/11 looked to have failed so far. Odds of landing a starting QB: 27%

Out of the 21 DE's taken, 15-RD64: 11/21 starting (some at DT/OLB) 9/21 backs getting situational time, 1 completely out of football (DAN BAZUIN). Odds of landing a starting DE: 52% (some of the DE's drafter were converted to OLB/DT)

1-18 QB Joe Flacco BAL - quality starter

1-28 DE Lawrence Jackson SEA quality starter

1-29 DE Kentwan Balmer SF back up

2-32 DE Phillip Merling MIA quality starter

2-50 DE Calais Campbell ARZ back up at DT

2-52 DE Quentin Groves JAX back up

2-54 DE Jason Jones TEN back up at DT

2-56 QB Chad Henne MIA - unknown #2

2-57 QB Brian Brohm GB - #3, beat out by a 7th RD pick for #2

1-17 DE Jarvis Moss DEN - back up

1-22 QB Brady Quinn CLE - quality #2, verdict still out for #1

2-36 QB Kevin Kolb PHI - unknown #2, still needs work