Tommie Harris, Vasher, Urlacher and Kyle

canadianbear

Just a series of questions, but please feel free to add.

Now that the season is over, can we please find out what is wrong with all injured players.

Tommie Harris

His knee (or knees). How bad are they?

If he requires surgery, can he please have it NOW and be at 100% next season.

As he did have flashes of brilliance and he does play hard, the only reason for his downturn in numbers and performance must be the injury.

I think if he is 100% next year, we will be ok on the inside of the line (with whomever playing next to him)

Vasher

Did he have surgery yet? Will he be back at 100% Again, why the drop off in production?

Urlacher:

What the hell was wrong with him anyway? He is not a running back. He should still be able to play in his 30's. Last year he finshed with 100+ tackles, 5 picks and 5 sacks. He played with speed. Is it the system that destroyed his production? He has never been good at shedding blocks, so I dont think that is the only answer.

Kyle:

Does he require surgery or is time the best way to heal his ankle?

I have always been under the impression you cant teach arm strength, but is there a way? Can he add yards and velocity to his deep ball?

Defense as a whole:

Can the defense rebound under a new system? Or are the players truly to blame? In terms of our DE sack production, the most telling quote has to be Brown's when he described why it seems that they stopped rushing the QB after 3 steps. He was not happy (I dont have the link)

Very curious...

a lot of NFL analysts I have been listening to on the Score have talked about how it isnt that Urlacher has lost a step or is ineffective, but rather that Bob Babich never knew how to use him properly and pretty much took Urlacher out of any position to make a consistent impact. They ahve talked about how his strength is running sideline to sideline, yet Babich is consistently blitzing Urlacher which is probably his worst skill.

I dunno, I think if a new DC is installed, then we will know more about Urlachers skills and if they are declining

Tommie has another year IMO to get healthy and get his head on straight. This also gives us some time to see if Marcus Harrison can take over that spot.

I agree with the issues surrounding our use of the LBs up close to the LOS. The most frustrating part of that for me was all the inside slants we gave away game after game after game. The cover 2 is all really about the front 4 and if there's no pressure from those guys on both run downs and especially passing downs then you will always be in trouble. We had no pressure up the middle all year long and occasional pressure from the outside.

Just a series of questions, but please feel free to add.

Now that the season is over, can we please find out what is wrong with all injured players.

Tommie Harris

His knee (or knees). How bad are they?

If he requires surgery, can he please have it NOW and be at 100% next season.

As he did have flashes of brilliance and he does play hard, the only reason for his downturn in numbers and performance must be the injury.

I think if he is 100% next year, we will be ok on the inside of the line (with whomever playing next to him)

Vasher

Did he have surgery yet? Will he be back at 100% Again, why the drop off in production?

Urlacher:

What the hell was wrong with him anyway? He is not a running back. He should still be able to play in his 30's. Last year he finshed with 100+ tackles, 5 picks and 5 sacks. He played with speed. Is it the system that destroyed his production? He has never been good at shedding blocks, so I dont think that is the only answer.

Kyle:

Does he require surgery or is time the best way to heal his ankle?

I have always been under the impression you cant teach arm strength, but is there a way? Can he add yards and velocity to his deep ball?

Defense as a whole:

Can the defense rebound under a new system? Or are the players truly to blame? In terms of our DE sack production, the most telling quote has to be Brown's when he described why it seems that they stopped rushing the QB after 3 steps. He was not happy (I dont have the link)

Very curious...

Alot of good questions there. On the defense as a whole, I have to think it is coaching and scheme. The Bears had one of the dominant defenses in the league a couple years ago. They still have basically the same exact starters except for a couple positions. I can't imagine that Ian Scott/Tank Johnson, Manning Jr. in at Nickel and Chris Harris's losses would have been major factors in it's decline. The core of the starters are still pretty young and other then Brown(due to yearly season injuries) clan blame age for a major decline. They just aren't that old. I also think the team has better depth then they had then.

Then again, Ron Rivera may have just been that good of coach and had this team playing better then they are. Since he took over as DC i when the Chargers were 3-5, the team won 5 of their next 8 to win their division and make the play offs.

Then again, Ron Rivera may have just been that good of coach and had this team playing better then they are. Since he took over as DC i when the Chargers were 3-5, the team won 5 of their next 8 to win their division and make the play offs.

Even without Merriman, the Chargers still have a ton of talent on the defensive side of the ball as well. That Nose Tackle who's name I can't remember right now, Phillips, Cromartie, Jammer, etc.

I liked Rivera a lot and did not like seeing him leave. However, I suspect the Chargers reached the playoffs not because of Rivera and their 25th ranked defense, but their 11th ranked offense, an extremely weak division, and QB Rivers throwing over 4000 yds.