Angelo looking for QB

OmahaBear

I'm hoping for Kerry Collins. The Titans have to hand the ball over the Young at some point, so that could lead to us being able to get Collins. He'd be perfect in a role where he competes for the job, but also would provide a very solid backup and someone to help the progression of Hanie.

I'm hoping for Kerry Collins. The Titans have to hand the ball over the Young at some point, so that could lead to us being able to get Collins. He'd be perfect in a role where he competes for the job, but also would provide a very solid backup and someone to help the progression of Hanie.

When did Hanie become good, or something you develop. Lets shoot a bit higher shall we. We haven't had a good QB in a long long time. Lets not continue the progression of crappy old player + less than talented underling. Ripping up the 4th string defense in exhibition games is not the way we can evaluate QBs.

This is the first time I can remember JA talking this way about QB. It would have had me pumped a few years ago. It's like it's finally clicked with him. With his state of mind in this interview, it really makes me wonder if he is going to get into a bidding war over Cassell. I really can't see another QB available this offseason that can fix the position. Plus, it would keep Minny from getting something they desperately needs.

"I know there's going to be a lot of talk about a No. 1 receiver. Guys, it starts with the quarterback. It's all about the quarterback. You don't win because of wide receivers."

This line above is what sort of bothers me. It has me scared that he is going to try get a way too late band aid type player like he did with Lloyd last year. I hope he's not jaded over adding Moose and it failing.

When did Hanie become good, or something you develop. Lets shoot a bit higher shall we. We haven't had a good QB in a long long time. Lets not continue the progression of crappy old player + less than talented underling. Ripping up the 4th string defense in exhibition games is not the way we can evaluate QBs.

That "less talented underling" is probably be starting very soon for someone. And we will regret not giving him shot. He was far superior to any 3rd stringer he played against, give him more then you will have a better idea of what he truly is, rather then calling him less talented.

I don't know if you actually watched him play at all in preseason, but he clearly out preformed every QB on the team, in preseason. Granted it was against mainly 2nd and 3rd stringer, but he was afterall a UDFA from Colorade (St?), and he outpreformed every 3rd and a lot of 2nd string QB's I saw in preseason. He's a keeper.

I don't know if you actually watched him play at all in preseason, but he clearly out preformed every QB on the team, in preseason. Granted it was against mainly 2nd and 3rd stringer, but he was afterall a UDFA from Colorade (St?), and he outpreformed every 3rd and a lot of 2nd string QB's I saw in preseason. He's a keeper.

I agree he's a keeper in the sense that you can't just dump or replace him yet...but I for one would really be unhappy if the only 2 QB's on the Bears' roster next year were Hanie and Orton. That's just a disaster waiting to happen.

In the context of playing in pre-season against 3rd string defenses, playing simple packages, using limited blitzes, against guys trying to make the team as special teamers sure he looked great. I think he should be our 3rd string QB. But if you are suggesting that he is the future of this franchise based on him ripping up people who are fringe players is a bit much.

In the context of playing in pre-season against 3rd string defenses, playing simple packages, using limited blitzes, against guys trying to make the team as special teamers sure he looked great. I think he should be our 3rd string QB. But if you are suggesting that he is the future of this franchise based on him ripping up people who are fringe players is a bit much.

Please point to me where I said he was the future of the organization.

I simply said getting a QB like Collins would help his development. While the odds of Hanie being the next Romo or Delhomme are very slim, it's not like he doesn't have potential. In fact, with a couple seasons of development, he could turn into a solid QB. He's definitely an option for the future, but he shouldn't and won't be the only option.

The SCORE talked about this a ton today. Here's what I've gathered:

1. JA said competition. That means he's not talking about Donovan McNabb or even Matt Cassell. We pay big money, it's not a competition.

2. Whoever we bring in it's likely to be the equivalent of Rex vs. Kyle. In other words, not much of a competition.

3. Rex is gone and Caleb Hanie's not NFL worthy. That's what we've learned.

Ultimately Angelo wants Kyle to stay away from the whiskey bottle, continue to improve, and not bitch about his contract. We'll either bring in an NFL cast-off at a bargain price, or draft someone, not in round one. That's it.

1. JA said competition. That means he's not talking about Donovan McNabb or even Matt Cassell. We pay big money, it's not a competition.

2. Whoever we bring in it's likely to be the equivalent of Rex vs. Kyle. In other words, not much of a competition.

Ultimately Angelo wants Kyle to stay away from the whiskey bottle, continue to improve, and not bitch about his contract. We'll either bring in an NFL cast-off at a bargain price, or draft someone, not in round one. That's it.

That's exactly what I took from all this as well. If we're throwing 10s of millions of dollars at McNabb or whomever, the competition will be over at that press conference.

Who the hell said that Hanie is not NFL worthy? That is unbievable that anyone would say that when the kid has not been given a chance to do anything except play a few snaps last preseason. I tell you what, he looked darn good to me, and I do not care if he was playing against 2nd or 3rd stringers. I am hoping he gets some time to show what he can do this year against 1st stringers. You can not say he is not NFL worthy after one year of being the #3.

You can not dismiss him just because he was an UDFA. He may not be the answer to our QB situation, but do not completely dismiss him without giving him a chance to develop.

If the question is can Hanie average 170 yards passing per game as Orton did in his last 7 starts then I'd be willing to bet yes. I wouldn't blame JA if he went hard after a guy like Cassel. He's had nothing but a merry-go-round between Grossman and Orton and other QB drifters that have come through town. He just watched a guy like Matt Shaub, who was a backup in Atlanta, light up his defense. I'd hate to spend all that money on a guy who's only done it in less than a full season. Is JA willing to draft another QB high and then wait for him to develop or does he now feel it's best to just go get a guy who has already done some good things in an NFL game. From his press conference he seems to be leaning toward the latter.

Who the hell said that Hanie is not NFL worthy? That is unbievable that anyone would say that when the kid has not been given a chance to do anything except play a few snaps last preseason. I tell you what, he looked darn good to me, and I do not care if he was playing against 2nd or 3rd stringers. I am hoping he gets some time to show what he can do this year against 1st stringers. You can not say he is not NFL worthy after one year of being the #3.

You can not dismiss him just because he was an UDFA. He may not be the answer to our QB situation, but do not completely dismiss him without giving him a chance to develop.

Here's how I look at it:

1 - Bring in an established vet to compete with Orton (either an older vet in the mold of Collins or Garcia, or a younger vet in the mold of Boller or Ramsey).

2 - Draft a QB in the later rounds to develop

3 - Keep Hanie (he completes with the drafted QB for the roster spot)

I agree with you Pix. I want to see Hanie given a chance. I really like what we saw from him last yr. I personally think he will beat out anyone we draft in a lower round.

Peace :dabears

Here's how I look at it:

1 - Bring in an established vet to compete with Orton (either an older vet in the mold of Collins or Garcia, or a younger vet in the mold of Boller or Ramsey).

2 - Draft a QB in the later rounds to develop

3 - Keep Hanie (he completes with the drafted QB for the roster spot)

I agree with you Pix. I want to see Hanie given a chance. I really like what we saw from him last yr. I personally think he will beat out anyone we draft in a lower round.

Peace :dabears

If he wants to go after a legitimate starting caliber #1 QB fine, but I am tired of washed up QBs being brought in as a stop gap solution. If Orton can develop into a solid starter, fine. If you want to bring in a legitimate starter, fine. I do not want a Garcia or Collins type of QB brought in. I want something more long term. I do not care if it is Orton, Hanie, or a 1st round pick. I just want a permanent soltion so that we can turn our attention to other needs like WR and OL.

Yes, I agree 100% Pix. What did everyone think when NE drafted Cassel when he did not even start at USC and look at what he has done this year after being the 3rd stringer for a few years. I like Hanie alot and we need to develop him for the future and see what we get.

A permanent solution at QB ?

That is the impossible dream for the Chicago Bears.

That is why they are going to over pay to get the franchise QB that thus far this franchise has yet to be able to draft or develop. I watched some of Cassel's game here and there and the dude has talent and throws a nice deep ball with touch and accuracy. But I would not mind trading for McNabb or Carson Palmer either at this point I a sick of the 3 and outs because we can not complete passes to help open the running game.

That is why they are going to over pay to get the franchise QB that thus far this franchise has yet to be able to draft or develop. I watched some of Cassel's game here and there and the dude has talent and throws a nice deep ball with touch and accuracy. But I would not mind trading for McNabb or Carson Palmer either at this point I a sick of the 3 and outs because we can not complete passes to help open the running game.

I dont see it, Any old Vet would be a waste of money, and bringing Cassel on here would be a recipe for disaster. The system in NE is set up for QB's, He would never make it chicago. We would see another Rick Meir situation. I say if your go after anyone get it in the draft, let hanie start some Preseason games and let the new guy do the hanie thing like last year. I think Orton will do fine.

I can agree with #s 1 & 2, but we don't know if Hanie is "not NFL worthy." I am with many of the other posters here in believing Hanie to be a keeper based on his preseason performance.If he can stay off thefield and learn for at least one more year it will mean he's more "NFL worthy" and that those ahead of him on the depth chart are getting the job done.

Hanie is a keeper.

Good sleuthing on that!

The one positive is he doesn't appear to be blinded with Orton love...

Pix, I'm with you!

Garcia or Collins don't do it for me at all! I think Kyle can hold down the fort while we groom a top prospect.

Although I still amsomewhat open to McNabb. It 's his Chicago roots and that he still puts up good numbers... Not saying I'm sold, but I'd listen.

If he wants to go after a legitimate starting caliber #1 QB fine, but I am tired of washed up QBs being brought in as a stop gap solution. If Orton can develop into a solid starter, fine. If you want to bring in a legitimate starter, fine. I do not want a Garcia or Collins type of QB brought in. I want something more long term. I do not care if it is Orton, Hanie, or a 1st round pick. I just want a permanent soltion so that we can turn our attention to other needs like WR and OL.