Shanahan fired

adam

Per Rotoworld:

Broncos fired head coach Mike Shanahan.

The better decision would have been to strip Shanahan of his personnel duties, but owner Pat Bowlen made the reactionary move to fire him outright. Bowlen is very unlikely to find a better in-game strategist and influence on Jay Cutler. It's also now unclear what will become of the team's zone-blocking running system, a longtime Broncos staple. Shanahan finishes his 14 years in Denver with a 136-86 record, two Super Bowl wins, and seven playoff appearances. This is a foolish firing by the Broncos.

Who's next?

I thought for sure the D-Coordinator would get canned but Shanahan I thought would've wound up being one of those guys that'd eventually just walk away from the team. I think the fact that they couldn't keep a RB healthy all season (they had something absurd like 7 RBs on IR), they'd have given him a bit of a pass.

He's gonna get a HC job... he's arguably the top, or 2nd best HC available. Bill Cowher being the one challenging him for the top spot.

However, I hope he (and Cowher) decides to sit out for a year. Because if the Bears are bad next year, which is a very distinct possibility with as many holes we have on the team now, Lovie could very well be fired, and I'd love to see Shanny in as our HC, or Cowher if we want to stick with D for our HC's.

As for Shanny's replacement, Spagnuolo seems like the perfect fit for Denver.

He's gonna get a HC job... he's arguably the top, or 2nd best HC available. Bill Cowher being the one challenging him for the top spot.

However, I hope he (and Cowher) decides to sit out for a year. Because if the Bears are bad next year, which is a very distinct possibility with as many holes we have on the team now, Lovie could very well be fired, and I'd love to see Shanny in as our HC, or Cowher if we want to stick with D for our HC's.

As for Shanny's replacement, Spagnuolo seems like the perfect fit for Denver.

Shanahan is an Illinois native. I beleive he played QB at Oak Forest or Park Forest in high school before going on to EIU where he began his coaching career. Would be great to have an offensive mind and established HC hear in Chicago. The Bears should at least hire him as a consultant to revamp this offense!

wikipedia is your friend... born in oak park, played at east leyden high school, and then played at Eastern Illinois until a hit that ruptured one of his kidneys that almost killed him. Needless to say, he stopped playing football after that.

However, I have heard that his downfall with the broncos wasn't his coaching, but rather the fact he was the GM as well. He's a great coach, but not as good at pretty much getting the players he needed on the team. I would love to see a Jerry Angelo-Mike Shanahan connection as our GM-HC duo in 2010.

I believe Shanahan had control over the personnel decisions and that may have played a factor into letting him go. Word is that the owner wants to get back to a separate GM - coach setup.

That has to be what happened. Bolen probably said I am going to relieve you of your GM duties and Shanny said no and this is why they went in a new direction. I agree he needed to give up the GM stuff but too bad that they could not work this out.

wikipedia is your friend... born in oak park, played at east leyden high school, and then played at Eastern Illinois until a hit that ruptured one of his kidneys that almost killed him. Needless to say, he stopped playing football after that.

However, I have heard that his downfall with the broncos wasn't his coaching, but rather the fact he was the GM as well. He's a great coach, but not as good at pretty much getting the players he needed on the team. I would love to see a Jerry Angelo-Mike Shanahan connection as our GM-HC duo in 2010.

Heck...what if Shanahan were to come to Chicago in 2010 and then bring Cutler with him? Now that would be sweet!!!

Heck...what if Shanahan were to come to Chicago in 2010 and then bring Cutler with him? Now that would be sweet!!!

The flaw in the logic of all of you talking about the changes in 2010 is:

Why would we want to hire a new HC and bring in a new QB in 2010 after we win the Super Bowl in 2009 and Lovie is named HC of the year and Orton the Super Bowl MVP?

dream scenario in 2010... Shananahan HC and complete control over the offense, with some guy of his picking gets the title of OC. And then, Jim Johnson as DC, with complete control over the D!

I know this will never happen, but it's fun as hell to dream.

dream scenario in 2010... Shananahan HC and complete control over the offense, with some guy of his picking gets the title of OC. And then, Jim Johnson as DC, with complete control over the D!

I know this will never happen, but it's fun as hell to dream.

OK, let's go from pipedream to wet dream.

Cowher as HC

Shanahan as OC

Johnson as DC

Toub as Toub

Ahhhhhhhhhh!

OK, let's go from pipedream to wet dream.

Cowher as HC

Shanahan as OC

Johnson as DC

Toub as Toub

Ahhhhhhhhhh!

JC man, take it easy on an old man will ya. I turn 60 in a couple of weeks. I do not think my heart can take this wet dream. To have a staff like that, WOW. Fun to dream, but obviously never will happen.

Shanahan will be a HC somewhere in 2009 unless he wants to take some time off. Johnson will never leave Philly unless it is for a HC job. Cowher from what I hear will not be coaching anywhere in 2009, he wants more time off.

Excuse me while I take a shower and change my shorts. :rolleyes: