Our NO #1 problem?

Wesson44

With Jerry firing the DB coach already it's safe to say where he thought the problems are this year and I agree. But with that loss we need to get players and a coach that can really help this defense in the secondary. In FA these three guys stand out to me as players we need to turn the corner in the D-backfield.

Nnamdi Asomugha, UFA, Oakland Raiders

Asomugha’s numbers don’t overwhelm other than his eight interceptions in ’06, but the big reason that he has only 241 career tackles and 10 interceptions is because opponents attack the side of the field that Asomugha isn’t on. He has 40 passes defensed over the past three seasons prior to ‘08 and he’s one of the NFL’s best in coverage. He’s held some of the game’s best receivers in check in single coverage and when he becomes a free agent, he may command the most attention of the lot.

Dawan Landry, RFA, Baltimore Ravens -- Veteran who would be nice in our secondary

It is difficult to imagine that the Ravens would let Landry get away considering he is young and showed major potential during his first two seasons in the NFL. Landry, a safety, made a significant impact in his first year when he made 69 tackles and had five interceptions as well as three sacks. While his sacks and interceptions dropped in year two, he tallied 83 tackles, still making plays on the ball but just not coming up with turnovers.

Sean Jones, UFA, Cleveland Browns

With Jerry firing the DB coach already it's safe to say where he thought the problems are this year and I agree. But with that loss we need to get players and a coach that can really help this defense in the secondary. In FA these three guys stand out to me as players we need to turn the corner in the D-backfield.

Nnamdi Asomugha, UFA, Oakland Raiders

Asomugha’s numbers don’t overwhelm other than his eight interceptions in ’06, but the big reason that he has only 241 career tackles and 10 interceptions is because opponents attack the side of the field that Asomugha isn’t on. He has 40 passes defensed over the past three seasons prior to ‘08 and he’s one of the NFL’s best in coverage. He’s held some of the game’s best receivers in check in single coverage and when he becomes a free agent, he may command the most attention of the lot.

Dawan Landry, RFA, Baltimore Ravens -- Veteran who would be nice in our secondary

It is difficult to imagine that the Ravens would let Landry get away considering he is young and showed major potential during his first two seasons in the NFL. Landry, a safety, made a significant impact in his first year when he made 69 tackles and had five interceptions as well as three sacks. While his sacks and interceptions dropped in year two, he tallied 83 tackles, still making plays on the ball but just not coming up with turnovers.

Sean Jones, UFA, Cleveland Browns

Quick note: If cutting and pasting from publications, you need to give the source credit.

Disagree on that being our #1 problem. I would argue that Babich and Lovie did a far worse job, as he answered to Babich who answered to Lovie. Also, the D-line NOT getting pressure absolutely killed our DB's this year. The LB's lined up on the LOS and us blitzing is a close 2nd, if not a tie. I can see Haley and Babich possibly gone today, Monday at the latest.

Quick note: If cutting and pasting from publications, you need to give the source credit.

Disagree on that being our #1 problem. I would argue that Babich and Lovie did a far worse job, as he answered to Babich who answered to Lovie. Also, the D-line NOT getting pressure absolutely killed our DB's this year. The LB's lined up on the LOS and us blitzing is a close 2nd, if not a tie. I can see Haley and Babich possibly gone today, Monday at the latest.

This I agree with.

If the DL had more pressure, the DBs would look better.

If the LBs were coached into a void, the DBs would have better underneath support.

If the CBs were coached to be anywhere near the opposing WRs, the Safeties would be better able to cover their area.

It's all pretty simple, and the Bears screwed it up big time.

Besides, until the Bears don't suck on offense - which they have forever - the #1 flaw on the Bears has to be on offense. And that obviously starts with the OL. Until the OGs are tough, and until the ice-skates are taken off of the OTs, the Bears will never know how good their RBs, WRs, or QBs are, or could possibly be. When Orton - who is not really mobile to begin with - has to worry about being planted on nearly every play, it's natural for the passing plays to be less effective. And we won't even get into the travesty that this OL has created with the running game over the last five years or so. Fix the OL; that's the number one priority.

It's all pretty simple, and the Bears screwed it up big time.Agreed whole heartedly!

Besides, until the Bears don't suck on offense - which they have forever - the #1 flaw on the Bears has to be on offense. And that obviously starts with the OL. Until the OGs are tough, and until the ice-skates are taken off of the OTs, the Bears will never know how good their RBs, WRs, or QBs are, or could possibly be. When Orton - who is not really mobile to begin with - has to worry about being planted on nearly every play, it's natural for the passing plays to be less effective. And we won't even get into the travesty that this OL has created with the running game over the last five years or so. Fix the OL; that's the number one priority.Agreed on fixing the OL as #1 again. Disagree on the offense being the weakest link. Our D killed us this year. I'm hoping JA puts his foot up Lovies ass and gets him more motivated and puts the fear of loss of livelyhood into some of our wasted talent. IMO - the O improved and the D declined. The ST's even declined a little due to Hester.

Fix the OL. It all starts in the trenches. And I'd expect Marinelli, when Lovie gets him, will bring some umph to the D line.

Keep grooming Beekman to take over for Kreutz, keep St. Clair to push Beekman at LG, get a solid sub for Tait and get us a RG that can bulldoze for Forte.

Fix the OL. It all starts in the treces. And I'd expect Marinelli, when Lovie gets him, will bring some umph to the D line.

Keep grooming Beekman to take over for Kreutz, keep St. Clair to push Beekman at LG, get a solid sub for Tait and get us a RG that can bulldoze for Forte.

Isn't Garza like a pro-bowl alternate this year?