http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3804004

Jones: Favre's play warranted benching

ESPN.com news services

Updated: January 1, 2009, 4:27 PM ET

* Comment

* Email

* Print

Thomas Jones Has Harsh Words For Brett Favre

Team owner Woody Johnson has stated clearly that he wants Brett Favre to be the New York Jets' quarterback next season, but some players seem to be bristling at the thought.

Days after the Jets' 1-4 finish left them out of the playoffs and helped trigger Eric Mangini's firing as coach, running back Thomas Jones blasted Favre's final-game performance and seemed to suggest the QB's play -- nine interceptions and only two touchdown passes in the final five games -- called for his benching.

"We're a team and we win together ... but at the same time, you can't turn the ball over and expect to win," Jones said in an interview Tuesday with New York Hot 97 FM. Favre threw three interceptions in the Jets' season-ending 24-17 loss to Miami that clinched the AFC East for the Dolphins.

"The other day, the three interceptions really hurt us. I mean, that's just reality," Jones told the radio station. "If I were to sit here and say, 'Oh, man, it's OK,' that's not reality. ... I don't like it, I know everybody else on the team doesn't like it.

Reviewing Favre vs. Rodgers

Wins say Brett Favre. Stats say Aaron Rodgers. Neither made the playoffs. So who had the better year? Depends on how you measure it, Gene Wojciechowski writes. Column

"If somebody is not playing well, they need to come out of the game," Jones told Hot 97 FM. "You're jeopardizing the whole team because you're having a bad day. To me, that's not fair to everybody else. You're not the only one on the team. So when you get to the wire and somebody is just giving the game up, I mean, it's just not [fair]."

Many believed the Jets were built to win now. They traded for Favre in August, spent $140 million on personnel moves last offseason, started 8-3 after knocking off New England and then-unbeaten Tennessee, then watched it all unravel.

But a lot of the blame has landed at Favre's feet.

Favre

Favre

Thomas Jones

Jones

"In this league, when you're the head coach or the quarterback and things don't go well, you're going to get a lot of the blame," safety Kerry Rhodes said earlier this week, adding that if Favre chooses to commit to the Jets for his 19th NFL season, he's got to be all in.

"If he's dedicated and he wants to come back and do this, and do it the right way ... and be here when we're here in training camp and the minicamps and working out with us ... then I'm fine with it," Rhodes said. "But don't come back if it's going to be half-hearted or he doesn't want to put the time in with us."

Miami Dolphins New York Jets

NFL.com Video

Watch highlights from the Miami Dolphins' 24-17 win over the New York Jets.

A veteran Jets player, quoted anonymously by Newsday, described Favre as a "distant" teammate who, when at the Jets' practice facility, spent his down time away from teammates in an office specially designated for him.

"There was a lot of resentment in the room about him. He never socialized with us, never went to dinner with anyone," the player told Newsday.

Favre played hurt in the final weeks of the season, and he has been told by doctors that pain in his right shoulder is from a torn biceps tendon and some calcification in the area, sources told ESPN's Ed Werder. The sources said Favre would need nothing more than arthroscopic surgery to repair the injury, but that he might be able to avoid the procedure altogether even if he decides to play in 2009.

A source told Werder that Favre is expected to deliberate for several weeks, perhaps to allow New York time to hire Mangini's successor.

Like I said when the trade was made, we already had Rex Grossman on our team to throw INTs so we didn't need Favre. He (Favre) backed up my prediction with his outstandingly bad play at the end of the year. Two Jet's players have thrown him under the bus, he won't return to the NFL and he won't get that $20 million from Green Bay to sit at home.

:lolhitting

I just find it very amusing that he winds up on a team that isn't going to let him bend them over a barrel like Green Bay did now that his true colors are showing. He's pulled this crap for how many years now? Honestly though the Jets should have known they were trading for damaged goods. But chose to take their chances. So it sounds as though the king decided not to mingle with his subjects but rather sit alone in his throne room. Where's your crown king nothing?

It's clear why Mangini didn't want him or wasn't too high on bringing him there. Even funnier the guy they rejected became a star in Miami lol. I remember a game a few years back when Pennington went down to injury and the crowd cheered so they could put in the backup. The Jets got punked.

I can understand just about all of the Coaching changes announced so far except for this one. Mangini I feel was given a bad deck of cards to play with. His team was playing very good football and it wasn't unit Favre started to throw INTs and reverted back to "bad" Favre that the team began to struggle. If they had kept Pennington, who I always felt was a solid QB (lots of injury problems but still very good) this team would now be in the Playoffs and division champs. Now the entire organization look like chumps.

With all the heat Urlacher is getting for suggesting the blame for the defense poor play needs to be spread around I am surprised no one is saying anything about TJ calling out the QB and laying it all on him.

With all the heat Urlacher is getting for suggesting the blame for the defense poor play needs to be spread around I am surprised no one is saying anything about TJ calling out the QB and laying it all on him.

I'll call TJ out. Sure he may be right. Favre was clearly the main culprit in their demise. But, you don't call out your teammates or coaches that way. There is never any reason to trash a player/coach that is trying to win. I think what Url did was fine, as he didn't elude to any player or coach. He simply said don't blame me. Frankly, I'd be sick of it too.

Like I said when the trade was made, we already had Rex Grossman on our team to throw INTs so we didn't need Favre. He (Favre) backed up my prediction with his outstandingly bad play at the end of the year. Two Jet's players have thrown him under the bus, he won't return to the NFL and he won't get that $20 million from Green Bay to sit at home.

Agreed. I hated the idea when people mentioned it. I still say it's blasphemous to even ponder Brett Farv as a Bear player. I would have hated this year if he were the QB.