Urlacher on His Critics--They Don't know football

bradjock

From Profootballtalk.com

URLACHER ON HIS CRITICS: ‘THEY DON’T KNOW FOOTBALL’

Posted by Aaron Wilson on January 1, 2009, 6:26 p.m.

Chicago Bears middle linebacker Brian Urlacher unleashed a personal blitz package after being knocked by critics who questioned whether his game is slipping, lashing out after the Bears didn’t make the playoffs and he was only voted as a third Pro Bowl alternate for the NFC squad.

“I’m tired of criticism that is unwarranted,” Urlacher told the Chicago Tribune. “People who say stuff about me, they don’t know our defense. They don’t know football. Yes, I wish I would have made a lot more big plays. Obviously, everyone could say that on our defense. I wish I was around the ball more, but I wasn’t. Just the way things worked out this season.”

Urlacher didn’t lead the Bears in tackles this season, finishing third on the defense with 107 stops after recording 171 in 2005 when he was named the NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

Urlacher sounds genuinely miffed about regularly taking flack for defensive breakdowns, playing the sarcasm card to the hilt.

“Yeah, that was my fault,” Urlacher said regarding a 47-yard run by Texans rookie Steve Slaton in a regular-season finale on which a playoff appearance was hinging. “Every long touchdown we gave up this season, it was my fault. Every time a receiver caught a pass for a touchdown, it was my fault too. In Atlanta, when the guy caught that pass that allowed them to kick the field goal, that was my fault.”

Although Bears general manager Jerry Angelo was generally upbeat in his comments about Urlacher, a six-time Pro Bowl selection, coach Lovie Smith was more guarded and probably realistic in his take.

“Brian, at times, played well this past year,” Smith said. “And other times, he needed to pick up a little bit.”

Based on Urlacher’s lucrative contract and perennial high expectations, he’ll need to reclaim his old form next year.

He's not really wrong. The Dline was a big reason why Urlacher struggled at times. If you noticed, once Anthony Adams started, Urlacher's game improved a lot.

Not saying he played up to his contract, but he played a lot better then people give him credit for. And a lot of casual football fans who don't know a whole lot about the strategy of the game don't understand what type of role the players around a certain player plays.

With this scheme the Bears run, Urlacher will never live up to the standards of the fans. 50% of the time he is dropping back to the middle of the field, the other 50% Babich has him lined up at the line giving him no angle's to pursuit the RB. The only thing playing him at the line does is make an offensive lineman commit to blocking him instead of doubling a DT. Hopefully that part of the experiment is over and we can line up as a more balanced D.

I agree, this year they had him lined up too damn close to the line of scrimage. He was less effective because of this. I am sure if he could do so he would have a few choice words to say about Babich. I am sure he is frustrated as hell.

Well Urlacher was at his best when he was playing Behind Big Ted Washington and Keith Traylor. Maybe take a hint JA?

As the MLB you have to read and react. But this year with Urlacher up close to the line there is no way you can do this. So one block by the center or guard and he is out of the play that's why our DB'S had so many tackles this year

As the MLB you have to read and react. But this year with Urlacher up close to the line there is no way you can do this. So one block by the center or guard and he is out of the play that's why our DB'S had so many tackles this year

Give this man a cigar. You are correct. He was placed in a position that took away his best asset, speed.

and that's where I believe a lot of the Bears problems were this year.

It's one thing to have tallent, it's another thing to know how to utilize it. We put URL too close to the line and it nullified his greatest asset his speed. Getting him caught up in the traffic kept him from playing his game. We all know he has a weakness when it comes to shedding blocks, so what does Babich do puts him closer too those blocks.

The same could be said in other places on the team. For example Booker was used often to run deep routes when he is not that type of receiver at least in this stage of his career. Developing hands of stone doesn't help him either but he wasn't utilized to his strengths.

There are others but the point being that I look at this team and I say the blame is 50/50. I still believe this team has talent and are capable of a much higher level of play. But watching players being put in a lose lose situation is frustrating to watch. Seeing URL get swallowed up in the traffic. Watching our DB's play 10 yards off the ball while the opposing offenses simply slanted us to death.

IMO you have 5 yards from the line of scrimmage to jam the receiver we say no thanks I'll just sit back in trail technique and hope I can cover him deep. Use the 5 yards rough him up, redirect him. We make it far too easy for opposing QBs. As a QB you know where you're receivers are supposed be and we simply allow them to be where they are supposed to be. We let anyone from pee wee league level QB's all the way through all pros pick us apart blind folded. Our only saving grace is when a receiver slips, there's a bad throw, or we get a pick. I'm tired of watching a wide open receiver running loose in the secondary catch the ball then have 4 guys converge on him but not a single one of those four guys decided to cover him.

one of the plays that sticks out in my mind from the Texan game is the deep pass where Tillman is pointing to Manning because manning is out of position. You know what, instead of pointing to a teammate stay with him. I know this leaves your man uncovered on the sidelines but wasn't the ball already in the air when he was pointing. If Peanut stays with him there's a chance that he might break that up. Instead Tillaman holds up and points at Manning and by doing so allows plenty of separation. Then after they contact him the push him into the end zone (not the only time the bears tackled someone and pushed them forward a few yards in the process.

IMO Babich must go. Firing the position coaches won't have any effect. The Scheme is set by the DC and HC. The position coaches mainly focus on coaching the responsibilities of their respective positions in that scheme not to define their role in it. However because Lovie has a lot of say in the defensive schemes and is the one pulling the strings on whomever the puppet is that's playing the part of DC means replacing the puppet doesn't guarantee the result will be any better. But I think it does have a lot to do with a coach getting the most out of his players. Rivera rode his players hard and pushed them. Not sure what Babich is doing, any other team and he wouldn't be a DC he was GIVEN the spot because he's a friend of Lovie's. I'd like to see Marinelli take Babiches job. The lions went 0-16 but not all due to him. There is just very little talent on that team and there's also a culture there that accepts losing or is at least so used to it that they don't expect much more. Imagine if Rod had some talent to coach? When a team that has as bad a record as Detroit did played they're hearts out despite it tells me he can motivate but was handicapped by a talentless team.

Also the players we have need to step up and play better we let a back gash us and they just say wall I was in the wrong gap. The players themselves keep making the same mistakes over and over. They are played too much money to do that and it tells me they have little to no sense of accountability, whether they just don't respect the authority of their coaches or the coaches don't come down on them for those mistakes.

IMO Babich must go. Firing the position coaches won't have any effect. The Scheme is set by the DC and HC. The position coaches mainly focus on coaching the responsibilities of their respective positions in that scheme not to define their role in it. However because Lovie has a lot of say in the defensive schemes and is the one pulling the strings on whomever the puppet is that's playing the part of DC means replacing the puppet doesn't guarantee the result will be any better.

I will have to disagree that position coaches don't have effect. They teach the technique and provide interpretations for the gameplan that is laid out early in the week. As an example: The coaches study film on Monday and lay out a plan for the week. Practice time comes and the DB coach has laid it out wrong to his players. Now, you've created confusion. The players are now rolling their eyes at someone. This also creates trust issues, as the separate units have less faith.

The part I highlighted is what I totally agree with. Holding Lovie as the #1 person accountable for our defensive collapse is a must. However, it's not happening. It's like treating a symptom instead of the root cause. Lovie has to know what is going on at all times. He said "trust me". I don't.

Holding Lovie as the #1 person accountable for our defensive collapse is a must. However, it's not happening. It's like treating a symptom instead of the root cause. Lovie has to know what is going on at all times. He said "trust me". I don't.

Yep! But you know that Babich is going to be made the scapegoat and Lovie, once agian, dodges responsibility. I don't trust him either.

Totally agree, BearSox.

A MLB is great when he has good or great DT's. This year, the only solid DT was Adams.

Exactly. Im sick of people complaining about Urlacher that dont realize how key the DTs are to his success. Which is magnified by his style of play. He isnt Ray Lewis, he is a side line to side line finesse linebacker (for the most part) and isnt at top form when guards and centers are getting to him untouched.

Who mention Ray Lewis, but even Lewis saw a drop in his play when the team changed schemes and Lewis didn't have the bit/talented DTs in front of him. When they changed back (scheme) and he again had the big boys in front of him, his play shot back up.

Exactly. Im sick of people complaining about Urlacher that dont realize how key the DTs are to his success. Which is magnified by his style of play. He isnt Ray Lewis, he is a side line to side line finesse linebacker (for the most part) and isnt at top form when guards and centers are getting to him untouched.

We have all, often, talked about how we lined Urlacher up on the LOS. One thing I never understood was, doing this seemed to contradict what we always talked about needing from the LB position, as well as most position. I recall a couple years ago Lovie making a big point to talk about how he wanted to have Urlacher always moving downhill. The meaning of this was to have Urlacher running toward the LOS and attacking. He made a point to say that is when Urlacher is at his best. But instead, this year we always had Urlacher running backward.

Not only did this not make sense to me, and this board, but it seemed to contradicat what Lovie previously said was how we wanted to utilize Urlacher. We took away his downhill role. We took away his ability to read and react, as he often had to put his back to the QB to run into deep coverage. We took away his ability to attack, and made him more of a chase/reactive player.

I just never understood this.

I am sure that is what is frustrating Urlacher also. I have no doubt that is why his stats looked so bad this year. He knows he is out of position to perform his best. That is why I knd of understand why he would be so upset.

Let's face it, he was never a great interview. He will never be a commentator when he retires. I think that is why he does not like to be interviewed. When he is cornered into an interview, he never seems to come out looking good.

Who mention Ray Lewis, but even Lewis saw a drop in his play when the team changed schemes and Lewis didn't have the bit/talented DTs in front of him. When they changed back (scheme) and he again had the big boys in front of him, his play shot back up.

I mentioned Ray Lewis. I was trying to use him as an example of a different type of MLB that everyone would know. Lewis is a more physical, downhill LB and can handle offensive lineman better and Urlacher is more sideline to sideline and coverage. I was just trying to point out how crucial the defensive line is in terms of Urlachers play.

From Profootballtalk.com

URLACHER ON HIS CRITICS: 'THEY DON'T KNOW FOOTBALL'

Posted by Aaron Wilson on January 1, 2009, 6:26 p.m.

Chicago Bears middle linebacker Brian Urlacher unleashed a personal blitz package after being knocked by critics who questioned whether his game is slipping, lashing out after the Bears didn't make the playoffs and he was only voted as a third Pro Bowl alternate for the NFC squad.

"I'm tired of criticism that is unwarranted," Urlacher told the Chicago Tribune. "People who say stuff about me, they don't know our defense. They don't know football. Yes, I wish I would have made a lot more big plays. Obviously, everyone could say that on our defense. I wish I was around the ball more, but I wasn't. Just the way things worked out this season."

Urlacher didn't lead the Bears in tackles this season, finishing third on the defense with 107 stops after recording 171 in 2005 when he was named the NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

Urlacher sounds genuinely miffed about regularly taking flack for defensive breakdowns, playing the sarcasm card to the hilt.

"Yeah, that was my fault," Urlacher said regarding a 47-yard run by Texans rookie Steve Slaton in a regular-season finale on which a playoff appearance was hinging. "Every long touchdown we gave up this season, it was my fault. Every time a receiver caught a pass for a touchdown, it was my fault too. In Atlanta, when the guy caught that pass that allowed them to kick the field goal, that was my fault."

Although Bears general manager Jerry Angelo was generally upbeat in his comments about Urlacher, a six-time Pro Bowl selection, coach Lovie Smith was more guarded and probably realistic in his take.

"Brian, at times, played well this past year," Smith said. "And other times, he needed to pick up a little bit."

Based on Urlacher's lucrative contract and perennial high expectations, he'll need to reclaim his old form next year.

Urlacher is making me sick. He needs to shut up and quickly. I don't question his work ethic or heart when it comes to football but I question what he says and I am sick of his act. He's constantly making excuses for the Bears poor play and thats not what the defensive leader should be doing. I want Urlacher to stand up and say your right, I didn't have my best season nor did the defense. We need to make some adjustments and get things fixed and I know I still have a lot left and that I'll be able to play at a pro bowl level. Thats it....shut up with your excuses and don't tell me I don't know football because it didn't take an expert to notice you were playing slower and missed more tackles. Certainly the Bears were playing you so close to the line 90% of the time that you weren't even able to utilize your speed or get involved in plays (because when you weren't right on the line you were way way deep).

Ted Phillips needs to hire a "PR" guy that acts like a lawyer and coaches the players what to say when interviewed. Maybe some of our beloved Url, Harris, Briggs, etc won't make asses out of themselves so often.

And to all those that are know crowning Briggs, don't forget about the things he said about the Bears, if I remember right, there were alot of "we don't need him" and "his stats are padded b/c that's how the system is set up". I'm glad we have Briggs, but I'm just as glad we have Url. I want them both to retire as Bears and be remembered as Greats. Right now, our D is down, lost, and confused and needs something new to bring in them back in. Hopefully Marinelli can be that guy that brings discipline in running assignments correctly b/c that is the only thing that makes this D sucessful. As even Briggs said, that was there main problem(staying in there gaps/discipline).

Ted Phillips needs to hire a "PR" guy that acts like a lawyer and coaches the players what to say when interviewed. Maybe some of our beloved Url, Harris, Briggs, etc won't make asses out of themselves so often.

And to all those that are know crowning Briggs, don't forget about the things he said about the Bears, if I remember right, there were alot of "we don't need him" and "his stats are padded b/c that's how the system is set up". I'm glad we have Briggs, but I'm just as glad we have Url. I want them both to retire as Bears and be remembered as Greats. Right now, our D is down, lost, and confused and needs something new to bring in them back in. Hopefully Marinelli can be that guy that brings discipline in running assignments correctly b/c that is the only thing that makes this D sucessful. As even Briggs said, that was there main problem(staying in there gaps/discipline).

Agreed. There was no accountability for blown assignments by the coaches. But there was also no leadership from the captains. If you are a captain, you need to lead by example and get in others grills when they dont do their job.

Agreed. There was no accountability for blown assignments by the coaches. But there was also no leadership from the captains. If you are a captain, you need to lead by example and get in others grills when they dont do their job.

This is why I would love to have Marrinelli. He is known for making his players accountable for there mistakes. The problem is Detroit was the GM was so stupid in drafting that he screwed Marinelli I believe.