per kffl Lovie to meet with Marinelli today

GakMan23

Bears | Smith to meet with Marinelli

Fri, 02 Jan 2009 13:05:46 -0800

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports Chicago Bears head coach Lovie Smith is scheduled to meet with former Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli Friday, Jan. 2, about the possibility of Marinelli joining the Bears coaching staff. Marinelli is expected to take the Bears coaching job, but his agent says there are other opportunities. "Rod has a number of opportunities and he is seeing Lovie and they're sitting down and talking. It's a visit," agent Frank Bauer said.

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports Chicago Bears head coach Lovie Smith is scheduled to meet with former Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli Friday, Jan. 2, about the possibility of Marinelli joining the Bears coaching staff. Marinelli is expected to take the Bears coaching job, but his agent says there are other opportunities. "Rod has a number of opportunities and he is seeing Lovie and they're sitting down and talking. It's a visit," agent Frank Bauer said.

Just read that with some interest. And Babich, Turner and Marinelli have the same agent. So how does Babich see all this? Keep him ad DC and make Marinelli Dline coach/assistant head coach? Just dump Babich, please.

Interesting...I hope we get him on board quickly because he'd be a welcome addition. He's still one of Lovie's guys but he brings a completely different attitude and style to the table while using a similar philosphy.

Just read that with some interest. And Babich, Turner and Marinelli have the same agent. So how does Babich see all this? Keep him ad DC and make Marinelli Dline coach/assistant head coach? Just dump Babich, please.

I wouldn't be shocked if Babich ended up getting demoted back to his previous job. Anyone think Mike Brown ends up getting hired as our new secondary coach (if he decides to retire?).

I wouldn't be shocked if Babich ended up getting demoted back to his previous job. Anyone think Mike Brown ends up getting hired as our new secondary coach (if he decides to retire?).

I'd love to see Brown retained as a DB coach. Normally, though, newbies do it on a volunteer basis, see Rivera. But still, he's got the knowledge for it.

Interesting...I hope we get him on board quickly because he'd be a welcome addition. He's still one of Lovie's guys but he brings a completely different attitude and style to the table while using a similar philosphy.

I like it. Hopefully he would have our DL playing better, which would make the defense much better.

I like it. Hopefully he would have our DL playing better, which would make the defense much better.

If JA/Lovie are really serious about adding Marinelli, they better make it enticing b/c his next trip is to Seattle to possibly be offered the DC job.

My thought is, Marinelli will bring out more with our D Line. We need to get back to Bear football and back to leading the NFL in sacks. The Bears are all-time 1st (84') & 3rd (87') in team sacks, maybe Marinelli can find a little Warren Sapp in Tommie and a little Simeon Rice in Mark Anderson/rookie.

Another thought, if we add Marinelli, we better see results out of the dlilne as being a top 10 unit, and the linebackers better be a top 5 unit with having two LB coaches in Lovie/Babich.

I'd love to see Brown retained as a DB coach. Normally, though, newbies do it on a volunteer basis, see Rivera. But still, he's got the knowledge for it.

Gil Byrd was the asst defensive backs/safeties coach. I would assume he takes the job. Here is the info on him:

http://www.chicagobears.com/team/coach.asp?coach_id=17

Peace :dabears

If we hire Marinelli as our DLine coach/Assistant HC (which I wanted in the first place), it would likely mean that Babich will stay as DC. I figure if we wanted to make a change at coordinator, we'd first get the new DC before we made hired new assistant coaches.