Our Free Agents

Wesson44

IMHO this is what I think the Bears should do in the FA period if all possible.

In the secondary

Let M.Brown and McGowan go & get Sean Jones from Clev.and Asomugha from the Raiders

Move Payne to SS and Vasher/Manning to the nickel

DE see if Peppers is still there to Ogun

WR get either C. Johnson. T.O or T.J. Hous, Bouldin or oneone to be the number one.

Move Williams to LT, sign ST. Clair at LG move Buenning to RG and find someone to back up Tait

Find a center in the draft...kruetz is getting old

In the secondary

Let M.Brown and McGowan go & get Sean Jones from Clev.and Asomugha from the Raiders

WR get either C. Johnson. T.O or T.J. Hous, Bouldin or oneone to be the number one.

Move Williams to LT, sign ST. Clair at LG move Buenning to RG and find someone to back up Tait

I think they are grooming Beekman as a replacement for Kruetz. He was forced into service as a guard this year and did ok for himself, but I think center is his more natural position.

In the secondary

The Bears will not spend the money on bringing in talent...so no Asomugha or any of those WRs. Their idea of bringing in talent was bringing Booker back. WTF

Its called restructure of contract, cutting etc, where there is a will there's a way!

None of the guys we would need to restructure would actually do it. As far as cutting goes, you cant just cut guys with big contracts because of the cap penalties. When you cut guys with big guaranteed money (which is anyone we would want to cut) you have to account for the dead cap space. Theres guys on our roster that some might want us to cut who would cost us more to cut than to keep them . You cant just cut a bunch of players with big contracts, it will destroy the cap. Its also difficult to trade for guys with big contracts because the same cap hits apply to the team trading the player.

That being said, thats how we know the Bears arent going to be in the market for that corner from Oakland, its simply not gonna happen. I wouldnt be TOO surprised to see us at least talk to TJs agent but there is no way they are going to talk to Dallas about TO and its unlikely they would get involved with Boldin. If a WR of that caliber becomes available via trade for picks, you would have to assume that the Eagles or Redskins are going to outbid everyone.

The biggest improvements the team will likely make in FA will be offensive line and a pass rusher (hopefully). It also sounds like we are going to go after a veteran QB, hopefully Garcia.

None of the guys we would need to restructure would actually do it. As far as cutting goes, you cant just cut guys with big contracts because of the cap penalties. When you cut guys with big guaranteed money (which is anyone we would want to cut) you have to account for the dead cap space. Theres guys on our roster that some might want us to cut who would cost us more to cut than to keep them . You cant just cut a bunch of players with big contracts, it will destroy the cap. Its also difficult to trade for guys with big contracts because the same cap hits apply to the team trading the player.

That being said, thats how we know the Bears arent going to be in the market for that corner from Oakland, its simply not gonna happen. I wouldnt be TOO surprised to see us at least talk to TJs agent but there is no way they are going to talk to Dallas about TO and its unlikely they would get involved with Boldin. If a WR of that caliber becomes available via trade for picks, you would have to assume that the Eagles or Redskins are going to outbid everyone.

The biggest improvements the team will likely make in FA will be offensive line and a pass rusher (hopefully). It also sounds like we are going to go after a veteran QB, hopefully Garcia.

Yes i understand all that....but we need to make some changes and I don't see why we can't cut Vasher lose like the rumor is we will and pick up that corner from Oakland. I really didn't have my hopes up for any of these guys because i know the Bears track record in FA to go get players that are medicore at best to fill need spots.

I think they are grooming Beekman as a replacement for Kruetz. He was forced into service as a guard this year and did ok for himself, but I think center is his more natural position.

Beekman started 34 games at G for Boston College and 3 games at center for BC.

In an emergency he could play some center. IMO Guard is Beekman's best position and if BEARS want a replacement for Olin they should draft one.

All in all I felt Beekman exceeded my expectations the past season.

Yes i understand all that....but we need to make some changes and I don't see why we can't cut Vasher lose like the rumor is we will and pick up that corner from Oakland. I really didn't have my hopes up for any of these guys because i know the Bears track record in FA to go get players that are medicore at best to fill need spots.

Based on all the needs the team has and the fact that cutting Vasher doesnt do anything to help us with the cap they cant afford to sign that guy. Dont get me wrong, I would love it if they did, but he is going to get HUGE money and we already have very large contracts for Peanut and Vasher regardless if we cut Vasher or not it still hits the cap and adding this guy wouldnt just be too much money for the CB position, it would be WAY TOO much money at one position. That money would be better spent on Suggs or Peppers or some type of pass rusher. Its a bigger need and a good year FA wise to get one and we can afford to cut ties with any of our DEs financially to make room and not be affected to much. They also still need help at QB, OL, WR, FS, DL. Its just not a good year to go after a luxury over a need.

In the secondary

Johnson, Boldin, and TO aren't FA's.

Beekman started 34 games at G for Boston College and 3 games at center for BC.

In an emergency he could play some center. IMO Guard is Beekman's best position and if BEARS want a replacement for Olin they should draft one.

All in all I felt Beekman exceeded my expectations the past season.

He played guard in college but I believe most scouts pinned him as a better center prospect for the pro's and the Bears have said some pretty good things about his prospects at center as well. I believe we'll see the Bears pick up another tackle and guard in the off-season (one via FA, one via the draft) and than target a DE and QB in the first two rounds while looking to the FA market for the WR position and going with Hester/Bennet/Booker as the guys that compliment the #1 WR brought in.

He played guard in college but I believe most scouts pinned him as a better center prospect for the pro's and the Bears have said some pretty good things about his prospects at center as well. I believe we'll see the Bears pick up another tackle and guard in the off-season (one via FA, one via the draft) and than target a DE and QB in the first two rounds while looking to the FA market for the WR position and going with Hester/Bennet/Booker as the guys that compliment the #1 WR brought in.

So you think we keep Booker? I am not sure. He does not seem to have much left in the tank.

So you think we keep Booker? I am not sure. He does not seem to have much left in the tank.

He's pretty cheap and I do think the Bears need to have a veteran receiver. I think the better teams in the league tend to have vets in the slot. Maybe it won't be Booker but they'll need someone, imo. It just sickens me to think about how horrendous the WR corps has been the past few years (sans Berrian).

He's pretty cheap and I do think the Bears need to have a veteran receiver. I think the better teams in the league tend to have vets in the slot. Maybe it won't be Booker but they'll need someone, imo. It just sickens me to think about how horrendous the WR corps has been the past few years (sans Berrian).

Last year when MV was QB in Atlanta many said the same thing about the Falcon's WRs. They sucked. They couldn't catch the ball. They couldn't gain seperation. I agreed with the critics. MV was a piss poor QB who was a running back with a strong arm out of position, IMO. As a result their WR cops looked horrible.

Now that they have a legitimate QB the same WRs (White & Jenkins) are looking pretty darn good. They might not be Pro Bowl WRs, but I do not see them being criticized as they were last year.

What a difference a legitimate QB can make! I suspect if our QB play improved (as well as the protection he is afforded by our OL) our WRs may not be quite as bad as what they would appear to be.

Yes, we do need to upgrade. However, if our QB play doesn't improve, our WRs will continue to struggle. Even if we had an Andre Johnson, A Boldin, TJH, etc... if our QB doesn't have the time to allow them to run their routes, and/or if our QB doesn't have the ability to hit them in stride, it will not benefit us that much. agian, just MHO.

At this point for me, the biggest question is what free agents of our own to we resign? Especially since some of these players we're talking about will have their deals redone, or like Asomugha, get the franchise tag slapped on them. Luckily for the Bears, we're a 9 & 7 team and we don't have major holes to fill, other then WR. From the free agents I can think of:

John St. Clair: He's solid & versatile. I'd like to see him become our starting LG. Not to mention, how much can we really trust Chris Williams to be healthy AND good. We need to bring him back.

Brandon Lloyd: He's in a contract year and refuses to suit up until he's 100%??? See ya jackass.

Dan Buenning: We didn't hear a damn thing about him. I'm really curious to see where he stands with the team. I leave this as a ???

Mike Brown: Unless we find a better safety, we might as well continue to run him out there. Payne looks ok, Steltz is mediocre, and I never want to see D Manning do anything but play the nickel and return kicks. Sign him.

Brandon McGowan: We're likely to draft another safety so it's unlikely we'll have room for him. Let him walk.

Rashied Davis: LOVE him as a #5 WR and ST's player. Sign him.

In the secondary

At this point for me, the biggest question is what free agents of our own to we resign? Especially since some of these players we're talking about will have their deals redone, or like Asomugha, get the franchise tag slapped on them. Luckily for the Bears, we're a 9 & 7 team and we don't have major holes to fill, other then WR. From the free agents I can think of:

John St. Clair: He's solid & versatile. I'd like to see him become our starting LG. Not to mention, how much can we really trust Chris Williams to be healthy AND good. We need to bring him back.

Brandon Lloyd: He's in a contract year and refuses to suit up until he's 100%??? See ya jackass.

Dan Buenning: We didn't hear a damn thing about him. I'm really curious to see where he stands with the team. I leave this as a ???

Mike Brown: Unless we find a better safety, we might as well continue to run him out there. Payne looks ok, Steltz is mediocre, and I never want to see D Manning do anything but play the nickel and return kicks. Sign him.

Brandon McGowan: We're likely to draft another safety so it's unlikely we'll have room for him. Let him walk.

Rashied Davis: LOVE him as a #5 WR and ST's player. Sign him.

1. And put Beekman where?

2. Davis signed a 3 year deal this past offseason, I believe.

1. And put Beekman where?

2. Davis signed a 3 year deal this past offseason, I believe.

1. Beekman's a fringe starter at best. The guy works his ass off, but he's not very big and he's not very fast.

Regardless of where St. Clair plays, we need to sign him as insurance for Chris Williams. Not to mention Tait may be gone after next year. He's not what I want in replacement, but he can play the position.

2. Thanks for pointing that out about Rashied Davis. You're correct. According to rotoworld he signed a 3 year 3.87 million $$$ contract. He's one of those guys like Adrian Peterson who are great for rounding out your roster and can do multiple things, as long as you don't expect too much from them.

The Sun Times reported that Nick Roach is an exclusive rights free agent but he's expected to return.

He played guard in college but I believe most scouts pinned him as a better center prospect for the pro's and the Bears have said some pretty good things about his prospects at center as well.

After he played all of 3 games at center and 34 games at guard. Scouts pinned him a better center prospect ?

Exactly who were these scouts and where did you get your information ? A source ??

The guys that got the most reps during pre-season at center were Olin and Oakley.

After he played all of 3 games at center and 34 games at guard. Scouts pinned him a better center prospect ?

Exactly who were these scouts and where did you get your information ? A source ??

The guys that got the most reps during pre-season at center were Olin and Oakley.

I don't know who the scouts were, but last off-season the Bears viewed Beekman as being better at center. During OTA's Beekman played center. Not to mention During the first week of training camp, Kreutz was injured, and Beekman became the #1 center while he was out. I don't remember the exact time-table, but what happened was:

--Kreutz returned

--Williams suffered the back injury forcing us to move St. Clair to LT permanently (we'd planned on starting him at LG)

--Terrance Metcalf got injured, and we discovered that Beekman wasn't as bad as Metcalf. Thus Beekman kept the job.

I view Beekman as being a good back-up who can play both guard spots and center.