If we do take a WR...

Ed Hochuli 3:16

Which one do you want?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Trade down in the 1st and take Bey.
    • Trade down in the 1st and take Britt.
    • Take Maclin with the 18th pick overall.
    • Take Nicks in the 2nd.

Why oh why would you want to bring in another short WR who's only real tool is speed?

He had over 100 receptions 1200+ yards and 13 TD's, he's hardly just a one tool player. He's under the category of "Special" because he's all purpose and can help you on special teams. I'd take him in a heartbeat if we stand pat and falls to us at 18 (If that is indeed what we do).

I'd take OSU's WR Robiske in round 2 or 3.

He runs fantastic routes and his Dad has taught him well.

Not even wide receivers coach Drake can hinder him from becoming a very good NFL receiver.

The last thing I want the BEARS to do is draft a WR in the first when Drake is the receivers coach.

I don't even think Maclin will be available when our pick comes around so we'd have to trade up to get him. He's the only receiver other than Hayward Bay that I really want.

Out of curiosity- why wouldn't you want Britt.

Maclin Reminds me of Steve Smith, He is the only WR I would want in the first round.

Yeah, and so does Hester- look where that's gotten us so far.

I'd take OSU's WR Robiske in round 2 or 3.

He runs fantastic routes and his Dad has taught him well.

Not even wide receivers coach Drake can hinder him from becoming a very good NFL receiver.

The last thing I want the BEARS to do is draft a WR in the first when Drake is the receivers coach.

He is actually pretty slow and his blocking sucks.

Why oh why would you want to bring in another short WR who's only real tool is speed?

Maclin would only make sense if the Bears were planning on bringing in Mike Martz to be the OC. I will admit though that Maclin reminds me a lot of Desean Jackson and I don't give a crap how small Jackson is I'd love to have him on the Bears. I just wish the Bears still had Berrian.

I also believe Maclin will be there when the Bears pick but they have a bigger need at DE (even though our WR's are awful a top pick at DE has a greater chance of making a significant impact in year one).

He is actually pretty slow and his blocking sucks.

He has outstanding speed and was on the Buckeyes runner-up relay team last yr.

Blocking sucks ?? Not from what I've seen and oh by the way I'm no Ohio State fan.

He has outstanding speed and was on the Buckeyes runner-up relay team last yr.

Blocking sucks ?? Not from what I've seen and oh by the way I'm no Ohio State fan.

He ran a 4.52 for his last recorded time. Not good for a WR. I think he'll be the best WR right away but eventually guys like Britt and Heyward-Bey will be very good while Robiskie will be just a good player.

And I don't know, just watch tomorrow night. His blocking is too inconsistent for me.

Whoever said Hester looks like Steve Smith? Maybe as fast as Steve Smith But he is no Steve Smith.

Don't act like you've never heard the comparisons of Devin to Smith. Every week it seems like I hear either a Chicago sports analyst mention it or a caller to a radio station. Small guys with great speed. Only problem is- Smith can make a huge catch in traffic or a slant down the middle and take a huge hit, both of which I haven't seen Hester do.

Maclin has speed but he's not a one trick pony. He's much bigger than a guy like Desean Jackson and he makes tough catches in traffic.

Yes, Maclin and Desean Jackson are about as different as you get besides the fact that they returned punts and kickoffs. Maclin is 6'1 200 pounds and Jackson is 5'10 175 pounds, so their builds are different. I don't think Jackson is a possession type of receiver like I think Maclin could be.

Yea, many talked about how Hester "could be" similar to Steve Smith. Smith has a similar frame, speed, and also was a huge weapon on returns. So the reasons for comparison were valid, in so far as pointing to a WR w/ similar attributes. But that doesn't mean the two players were ever truly compared, as some begin to believe.

Its sort of like before the draft. When looking at a scouting report, many will point to a player w/ similar makeup. That doesn't mean the rookie-to-be is being touted as the next _________. It just is giving a point of comparison or reference.

To me, the comparison is fine. Not to mean Hester will ever be as good as Steve Smith, but I would use Steve Smith as an example of how we should be striving to use Hester. While Hester has a LONG way to go, I would like to point out that Carolina does a lot more for Smith that could benefit Hester.

For example, I remember reading a couple years ago about how teams were playing Smith. They would put a physical corner on Smith at the LOS. This would serve two purposes. One, it would not ever allow Smith an easy or clean release, and two, it hindered his ability to catch easy slants and turn them upfield. They would also then devote a safety to play the "over" position on Steve Smith. Carolina began to move Smith around more. They moved him between the X, Y and slot positions to free him up. They also began to use him in motion a lot more. By doing all this, they allowed him better matchups and were able to get him off the LOS more easily. I can't say I recall us doing this at all w/ Hester, even though I saw teams often pressing him at the LOS.

Again, this is not to say I think Hester could ever be Steve Smith, but I do think the point of reference is okay, and just wish we would try to play Hester more like Carolina does Smith.

Don't act like you've never heard the comparisons of Devin to Smith. Every week it seems like I hear either a Chicago sports analyst mention it or a caller to a radio station. Small guys with great speed. Only problem is- Smith can make a huge catch in traffic or a slant down the middle and take a huge hit, both of which I haven't seen Hester do.

Yea, many talked about how Hester "could be" similar to Steve Smith. Smith has a similar frame, speed, and also was a huge weapon on returns. So the reasons for comparison were valid, in so far as pointing to a WR w/ similar attributes. But that doesn't mean the two players were ever truly compared, as some begin to believe.

Its sort of like before the draft. When looking at a scouting report, many will point to a player w/ similar makeup. That doesn't mean the rookie-to-be is being touted as the next _________. It just is giving a point of comparison or reference.

To me, the comparison is fine. Not to mean Hester will ever be as good as Steve Smith, but I would use Steve Smith as an example of how we should be striving to use Hester. While Hester has a LONG way to go, I would like to point out that Carolina does a lot more for Smith that could benefit Hester.

For example, I remember reading a couple years ago about how teams were playing Smith. They would put a physical corner on Smith at the LOS. This would serve two purposes. One, it would not ever allow Smith an easy or clean release, and two, it hindered his ability to catch easy slants and turn them upfield. They would also then devote a safety to play the "over" position on Steve Smith. Carolina began to move Smith around more. They moved him between the X, Y and slot positions to free him up. They also began to use him in motion a lot more. By doing all this, they allowed him better matchups and were able to get him off the LOS more easily. I can't say I recall us doing this at all w/ Hester, even though I saw teams often pressing him at the LOS.

Again, this is not to say I think Hester could ever be Steve Smith, but I do think the point of reference is okay, and just wish we would try to play Hester more like Carolina does Smith.

Hester actually ran pass routes this year and it was a big improvement over what he did in 07. Expecting him to work from 3 different positions on the field is too much to ask of him at this point. Perhaps next season we slide him around a bit but I don't think that would have worked well for him this year. We have to walk before we run with this guy.

Maybe expecting him to know all three WR positions his first year as a true WR is asking too much, but I still think we could have done far more to help him. Having him go in motion to me would have been a great way to help him. Putting him in motion would serve two purposes. One, it would allow him to get off the LOS clean, which he really struggled to do. Two, when you send a WR in motion, a defense is often forced to "show" what their plan is. Are they playing zone or man. You know this w/ a WR in motion. Is the S going to specifically double cover your speed WR, or play a deep field zone. How the FS moves when the WR goes into motion will show this. You also often force the LBs to motion to one area or the other, which again, provides a tell. Sending a WR into motion is something many offenses do, and for the reasons listed above, but how often did we see use try to use Hester that way. The only player I really saw us send in motion was Olsen, and he happened to be one of the few who didn't struggle against press coverage.

Hester actually ran pass routes this year and it was a big improvement over what he did in 07. Expecting him to work from 3 different positions on the field is too much to ask of him at this point. Perhaps next season we slide him around a bit but I don't think that would have worked well for him this year. We have to walk before we run with this guy.

I would of loved to get Eddie Royal (short wr) in last years draft instead of Bennett but I think the Broncos took him in the 2nd round. But do agree that me need someone in the Brandon Marshall mold!