venting a little frustration

nfoligno

The Texans, who finished the year (thanks to us) at .500, didn't do well on defense, and fired a handful of their defensive coaches. Expectations for this defense were never high, but after finishing 22nd in the rankings, it was low enough to make a statement.

GB had greater expectations entering the season for their defense, and after finishing 20th in the rankings, basically fired all defensive coaches.

Now, those are two programs I would say made statements. They finished the season and said changes were necessary after not playing well.

We entered the season w/ high expecations, at least for the defense. Two years ago, the D helped carry the team to the SB. Last year, our D stunk, but it was written off as being largely due to injuries. This was supposed to be our comeback year. W/ the exception of ONE player (Tank) we had all of our SB defense back. While Tank was gone, we had Dusty ready to go, and a rookie w/ high expectations also ready to fill in. But not only did our D fail to return to top 5 form, they were not even top 20. The defense flat out stunk, and this time was w/o the injury excuses. So what statement do we make? We fire our DB coach, and begin a search for our 4th DB coach in the last 6 years. We also are likely to lose our DL coach (Thank God) but only because he has an offer elsewhere.

This is not what I call making a statement, which is simply sad. I had no expectation that Lovie would depart, but I truly felt there was a more than decent chance Babich would be on the outside looking in. Not only has that not happened, but the lead story is about the potential of Lovie hiring yet another of his friends. Sorry, but this is ridiculous. I really hoped Angelo would step in, but it appears Lovie is running the show. He is not going to fire his friends, and in fact, only plans to hire more friends.

Sorry for the rant. I know this doesn't really add much of anything new, but after reading about how GB cut loose their defensive coaches, I just needed to vent.

1 week after the end of the season is a little early for me to get bent about this situation. I will wait to see how everything plays out.

I agree that Angelo needs to step in and make Lovie drop BB. We'll have to see how this all plays out. There is still plenty of time for a change to be made.

Peace :dabears

The Texans, who finished the year (thanks to us) at .500, didn't do well on defense, and fired a handful of their defensive coaches. Expectations for this defense were never high, but after finishing 22nd in the rankings, it was low enough to make a statement.

GB had greater expectations entering the season for their defense, and after finishing 20th in the rankings, basically fired all defensive coaches.

Now, those are two programs I would say made statements. They finished the season and said changes were necessary after not playing well.

We entered the season w/ high expecations, at least for the defense. Two years ago, the D helped carry the team to the SB. Last year, our D stunk, but it was written off as being largely due to injuries. This was supposed to be our comeback year. W/ the exception of ONE player (Tank) we had all of our SB defense back. While Tank was gone, we had Dusty ready to go, and a rookie w/ high expectations also ready to fill in. But not only did our D fail to return to top 5 form, they were not even top 20. The defense flat out stunk, and this time was w/o the injury excuses. So what statement do we make? We fire our DB coach, and begin a search for our 4th DB coach in the last 6 years. We also are likely to lose our DL coach (Thank God) but only because he has an offer elsewhere.

This is not what I call making a statement, which is simply sad. I had no expectation that Lovie would depart, but I truly felt there was a more than decent chance Babich would be on the outside looking in. Not only has that not happened, but the lead story is about the potential of Lovie hiring yet another of his friends. Sorry, but this is ridiculous. I really hoped Angelo would step in, but it appears Lovie is running the show. He is not going to fire his friends, and in fact, only plans to hire more friends.

Sorry for the rant. I know this doesn't really add much of anything new, but after reading about how GB cut loose their defensive coaches, I just needed to vent.

I'll take it one further...Shanahan in Denver getting launched for not making the playoffs 3 yrs running and HE has some SB rings. I am waiting for this to all play out but this is so vintage Bears. If there is a wrong way to go, they'll find it somehow, if there's a wrong decision to make, they'll make it. And it's not so much that they do these things but it's at the worst possible times. You've got guys like Cowher, Shanahan out there, Holmgren. But we'll stand pat for another year with Pappy Yokems and his band of misfits and miss the opportunity to get some qualty coaching here all because the Bears have all that money committed to Smith. Hey, logic says the long term return on launching him and bringing in a guy like Cowher will giv us 10 times that return not to mention we could probably launch Angelo as well. We are wasting that money on Smith just by employing him another yr or two. We can flush it all down the toilet because this guy doesn't have a clue.

It is frustrating watching the mistakes but it's even more frustrating when you see the solutions just sitting out there and nothing is done. Unfortunately, this whole organization is in denial from the top down.

Not to mention that Rivera's defense brought us 11 & 5 record followed by a 13 & 3 record + Super Bowl appearance. And he was let go??? That's inexcusable.

I could be mistaken, but I think our defense was ranked in the low teens Rivera's rookie year.

Rod Marinelli and his 32nd ranked defense wouldn't give me much confidence either.

Connor mentioned that he wanted to see how it played out, but media believes that Lovie is sticking by his idiot DC, and I have to believe that if Babbich were to go, it would have happened by now.

Unbelievable.

Nfo, no apology is needed by any Bears fan who wants to rant after this season!

Heck, I've been doing it all season long! ;)

You're seriously right. This lack of statement is mind boggling.

I think JA needs to make some incredible splash somewhere...or his next splash will be at a pool in his (forced) reitrement home.

Dude, I feel the piss & vinegar coming from your statements! But, I nearly passed out laughing on the Pappy Yokems comment! I'm not exactly sure what ti means, but it sounds darn funny! That made my day!

As Kenny Rodgers said, you gotta know when to hold 'em, when to fold 'em. I think it's time to fold on Smith... Others want to hold. We'll see how it plays out...

Friends from Pitt have stated that rumors had that Cowher wanted the Bears job if open... I'm just going to ponder that one a while and sulk...

I'll take it one further...Shanahan in Denver getting launched for not making the playoffs 3 yrs running and HE has some SB rings. I am waiting for this to all play out but this is so vintage Bears. If there is a wrong way to go, they'll find it somehow, if there's a wrong decision to make, they'll make it. And it's not so much that they do these things but it's at the worst possible times. You've got guys like Cowher, Shanahan out there, Holmgren. But we'll stand pat for another year with Pappy Yokems and his band of misfits and miss the opportunity to get some qualty coaching here all because the Bears have all that money committed to Smith. Hey, logic says the long term return on launching him and bringing in a guy like Cowher will giv us 10 times that return not to mention we could probably launch Angelo as well. We are wasting that money on Smith just by employing him another yr or two. We can flush it all down the toilet because this guy doesn't have a clue.

It is frustrating watching the mistakes but it's even more frustrating when you see the solutions just sitting out there and nothing is done. Unfortunately, this whole organization is in denial from the top down.

Dude, I feel the piss & vinegar coming from your statements! But, I nearly passed out laughing on the Pappy Yokems comment! I'm not exactly sure what ti means, but it sounds darn funny! That made my day!

As Kenny Rodgers said, you gotta know when to hold 'em, when to fold 'em. I think it's time to fold on Smith... Others want to hold. We'll see how it plays out...

Friends from Pitt have stated that rumors had that Cowher wanted the Bears job if open... I'm just going to ponder that one a while and sulk...

Pappy Yokems is Lil Abners Pappy from Dogpatch (Sandy Tx) USA. It's all I could think of that would be derogatory. I was reaching.

Have you ever had a dog? When you have a puppy, and it craps in the house, it doesn't work to wait a week and try to teach the dog the crap it took a week earlier was wrong. You stick the dogs nose in the fresh crap and swat its arce. This team just took a crap in our house, and you want to wait? You want to give it time?

Do we not seem to say the same things every year? We hit FA and sit on our hands, but fans say, "hey, FA just started. Give it time. Have patience". When we watch other teams address their coaching situations, you call for patience?

Have you seen what some of the players said after the Houston game and in season ending news conferences? To me, it seems like they are begging for change. They are begging for accountability. Well, where is it? To me, the players, fans and media are being sent one message. Accountability takes a back seat to friendship.

1 week after the end of the season is a little early for me to get bent about this situation. I will wait to see how everything plays out.

I agree that Angelo needs to step in and make Lovie drop BB. We'll have to see how this all plays out. There is still plenty of time for a change to be made.

Peace :dabears

Yea, because it has worked so well in the past.

Once upon a time, did you say, "Hey, I don't mind if we suck next year so we can get rid of Wanny".

Once upon a time, did you say, "Hey, I don't mind if we suck next year so we can get rid of Jauron".

Now you are saying, "Hey, I don't mind if we suck next year so we can get rid of Lovie".

I understand the thinking, but can't agree. I always want to win. If we have 2 wins on the year, and a final game loss gives us the 1st pick and a final win drops up out of the top 3, I still want to win.

I don't mind at all if we suck next year and that leads to Lovie being fired.

And how ironic is it. It was simply not that long ago we seemed to have a similar situation. We had a coordinator who was a failure, but the BFF of the HC. Angelo insisted that coordinator be fired. HC refused, and was instead fired. That was a statement.

So what is the difference now? I guess Lovie is Angelo's BFF, so like Babich, Lovie is safe.

In all the time Lovie has been here, Rivera is probably the only coordinator who it can be said was a legit success. And he is let go. Yet we continue to dole out extra chances for failures.

I heard a rumor that after the NFL, Angelo, Lovie and Babich are intend to enter politics, as they all seem to have the knack for friendship as having more value than quality.

Nfo, no apology is needed by any Bears fan who wants to rant after this season!

Heck, I've been doing it all season long! ;)

You're seriously right. This lack of statement is mind boggling.

I think JA needs to make some incredible splash somewhere...or his next splash will be at a pool in his (forced) reitrement home.

And how ironic is it. It was simply not that long ago we seemed to have a similar situation. We had a coordinator who was a failure, but the BFF of the HC. Angelo insisted that coordinator be fired. HC refused, and was instead fired. That was a statement.

So what is the difference now? I guess Lovie is Angelo's BFF, so like Babich, Lovie is safe.

In all the time Lovie has been here, Rivera is probably the only coordinator who it can be said was a legit success. And he is let go. Yet we continue to dole out extra chances for failures.

I heard a rumor that after the NFL, Angelo, Lovie and Babich are intend to enter politics, as they all seem to have the knack for friendship as having more value than quality.

I'm not so sure Lovie/JA are BFF. I posted what I think may be going down in another thread, it may not be enough right now, but it may put some pressure on Lovie.

I'm not so sure Lovie/JA are BFF. I posted what I think may be going down in another thread, it may not be enough right now, but it may put some pressure on Lovie.

I saw it, and replied myself. While their friendship is hitting some bumps, I still think the two are BFFs, just BFFs who are starting to wonder about each other.

Think about this though. If Jauron were the HC, and not Lovie, do you think Angelo would not step in and say something?

If Lovie pulls for his buddy Babich to stick around then JA may very well tell him that if it doesn't work out next year he'll be gone too. Now that would make me smile but getting through next season with Babich will be emotionally difficult. As they say, no pain no gain.

I hate the waiting as well. This football organization spends way too much time fixing mistakes. I've said before that if there is a wrong way to do things, by God this organization will find it and make it an art form. I don't really like to revisit the Ditka era but it does give you an idea of how far the expectations in this organization have fallen. Ditka was here 11 yrs. He had 3 losing seasons in that time span. He went to the playoffs 7 times, won 7 divisional titles and a SuperBowl and was fired after a 5-11 season that followed 2 years at 11-5 and let's face it, the McCaskeys dismantled that 85 Super Bowl team that should have won at least 2 more titles. It doesn't take a genius to see that this defense is broken and Smith and Babich are at the root. If it is the players then they needed to demand replacements OR just as easy, do much earlier in the year what they did later, activate guys like Adams who immediately improved this d line play. Any way you look at it, lovie Smith does with the players what he does with the coaches, protect and play his favorites and that is an incredible injustice to the players, fans and Bears organization.

I wonder if anybody ever thinks what might have been if Mike McCaskey was booted out of the way when Ditka was still the Bears HC. Is it possible that these two forces could have coexisted for many years to come if there was a GM left in place who knew football? I know this. Ditka's heart was broken after the Bears let him go. I believe it was the ONLY HC job he ever wanted but he certainly wasn't the same afterwards and lets look at the Bears, have they ever seen an 11 yr period with more consistency since Ditkas been gone?

Bottom line. Lovie, you have 1 year to get it right. If you don't go to the playoffs next year. YOU ARE FIRED!!!!!!! And good riddance.

It has been eerily similar...

I honestly don't know. I imagine the huge money paid to Smith makes kicking him to the curb difficult...but I thought JA has the balls to do it. I really don't think he does. I get the feeling of a lot of hot air. Even all his stmts regarding QB, Urlacher...etc. I think it's all smokescreen. This team has not been honest in the media. I see no reason to think they are being up-front now.

It's really confusing. We are SO behind Rex damn the torpedoes missing out on guys like Warner,etc...but now, after a pretty decent season, Orton is on the hot-seat? Not that he shouldn't be...but where was that when Rex was killing us year after year?

Politics would be perfect for those 3... However, I'm still awaiting the nude pictures to come out. They all seem to have something on one another! Maybe it's just slobber on thier bottoms from all the ass kissing! ;)

I honestly don't know. I imagine the huge money paid to Smith makes kicking him to the curb difficult...but I thought JA has the balls to do it. I really don't think he does. I get the feeling of a lot of hot air. Even all his stmts regarding QB, Urlacher...etc. I think it's all smokescreen. This team has not been honest in the media. I see no reason to think they are being up-front now.

I have theorized before that Angelo and Lovie are tied at the hip, thus I do not feel Angelo can fire Lovie. When Lovie's time is done, so is Angelos. I think he knows that, and thus simply can not fire him.

At the same time, as w/ Jauron, I did expect Angelo to step in more w/ regard to Babich. He has done it in the past. He was all over Jauron about Shoop. Even w/ Lovie, he was (as I recall) key to our sending Shea packing after one season. As bad as the D has been the last two years, since Babich took over, I really felt Angelo would pressure Lovie to make a move. At least to me, it appears friendship is simply too great of an asset now.

It's really confusing. We are SO behind Rex damn the torpedoes missing out on guys like Warner,etc...but now, after a pretty decent season, Orton is on the hot-seat? Not that he shouldn't be...but where was that when Rex was killing us year after year?

Agreed 100%. I have no issue w/ saying we are not sold on Orton and sending him a message that he needs to do better, and we are not ready to give him a bunch of money. At the same time, (a) w/ the defense as bad as it was, going out of your way to spotlight the QB seems questionable to me, and (B) where was this attitude all those years w/ Rex, who we didn't even want to provide competition as we were afraid we would hurt his feelings?

Yeah...which makes me think his comments about Orton were a smokescreen... Or at least a way to not get a contract done before next season...

Agreed 100%. I have no issue w/ saying we are not sold on Orton and sending him a message that he needs to do better, and we are not ready to give him a bunch of money. At the same time, (a) w/ the defense as bad as it was, going out of your way to spotlight the QB seems questionable to me, and (B) where was this attitude all those years w/ Rex, who we didn't even want to provide competition as we were afraid we would hurt his feelings?