Kurt Warner

Wesson44

Kurt Warner should be high on Chicago Bears' shopping list

Bears would be wise to show interest in 37-year-old potential Hall of Fame QB

David Haugh | On the Bears

January 6, 2009

An NFL general manager who establishes finding a quarterback as his team's top off-season priority, as Jerry Angelo has for the Bears, is like an astronaut who says he is ready to soar into space.

Conceptually, there can be no limits to the possibilities, or what's the use?

That thought left the deepest impression when considering how the Bears viewed the first round of the NFL playoffs, a weekend that included 37-year-old free-agent-to-be Kurt Warner taking the Arizona Cardinals franchise to uncharted postseason territory.

Warner looked like the guy with two league MVP trophies on his mantel in completing 19 of 32 passes for 271 yards, two TDs and one interception in Saturday's 30-24 win over Atlanta. In Arizona, he's hotter than a black asphalt driveway, and the Cardinals would be foolish to let him hit the open market.

2008 Bears results Yet as NFL.com reminded every quarterback-deficient team in the league Sunday, Warner and the Cardinals have made no progress in contract talks. Despite Warner's stated goal to retire with Arizona, various reports depict the two sides as being no closer than tourists on opposite ends of a famous canyon in the state.

The Cardinals have several expensive players to re-sign this off-season and still have a young quarterback waiting in the wings: Matt Leinart, in whom they still believe and in whom they have invested millions. Wishful thinking or not, the situation bears monitoring for Angelo if even the slightest chance exists of Warner hitting the open market.

There would be no shame in Kyle Orton biding time behind a potential Hall of Fame quarterback such as Warner, who might have two good years left and be relatively affordable with a contract that reflects that.

Now that it appears Donovan McNabb will be going nowhere this off-season but to a bank in Philadelphia with a new contract, the Bears have to turn their most ambitious thoughts to Warner.

Besides the Chicago connection with Lovie Smith, who was the Rams' defensive coordinator when Warner led the team to the 2002 Super Bowl, Warner's agent, Mark Bartelstein, also works in the city.

The Bears missed out on an opportunity to sign Warner in 2005 when he visited Halas Hall. He wanted an assurance he could compete for the starting job, something the Bears were unwilling to give with Rex Grossman in place. As legend has it, the quarterback-cursed franchise also lost out in 1997 when Warner had to cancel a tryout with the Bears because of swelling in his right arm caused by a spider bite suffered on his honeymoon. What a tangled quarterback web the Bears have woven since then.

From a marketing standpoint, Chicago would be an ideal spot for Warner to position himself for life after football, especially if he's interested in broadcasting. But from a football standpoint, Warner or any other quarterback might need a psychological exam if he chose the Bears over a Cardinals team with a Pro Bowl tandem of wide receivers.

Still, money can be persuasive even to the most philanthropic of quarterbacks. So if the Cardinals allow Warner to enter free agency and a bidding war ensues in March, the Bears truly have to consider putting themselves in the middle of it.

Two league developments over the weekend provided evidence for Angelo to support the contention that better quarterback play, more than anything else, can help the Bears return to the playoffs next season. Exhibit A came from the report that the Patriots intend to use a $14 million franchise tag on quarterback Matt Cassel, who likely will back up Tom Brady—committing $29 million (24 percent) of the salary cap to the position. Exhibit B came when Joe Flacco of the Ravens and Chad Pennington of the Dolphins—first-year starters for their teams—faced off.

Given the number of teams that made the playoffs with first-year quarterbacks (three) and the success of what Angelo referred to as the "over-the-hill quarterback gang," the Bears must keep every option open to remain consistent in their thinking.

Even options that might seem unattainable now.

A team searching harder for a quarterback than for any other player cannot afford to ignore the most qualified one if he becomes available.

If Warner comes to the Bears, the book is officially closed on Orton.

This has been talked about in another thread, but two things.

One, I am for adding Warner, only IF this signing is part of a larger over-haul of the offense, where we add a top tier WR and an upper tier OT, and then draft an OG early. The only chance Warner would have to remain upright, much less do well, would be to drastically increase the talent surrounding him. If he took over the offense as it is, he would only hasten his retirement.

Two, as one of our AZ posters said, I can not phathom why Warner would want to come to Chicago. He knows the system in Az, and is surrounding by great talent. Even if Boldin leaves, which is assumed, he still has one of the games best WRs in Firtz, and there is also a 3rd WR (forgot his name) that looked great when Boldin was hurt earlier this year. Why would he leave that situation to come to Chicago?

One, I am for adding Warner, only IF this signing is part of a larger over-haul of the offense, where we add a top tier WR and an upper tier OT, and then draft an OG early. The only chance Warner would have to remain upright, much less do well, would be to drastically increase the talent surrounding him. If he took over the offense as it is, he would only hasten his retirement.

Two, as one of our AZ posters said, I can not phathom why Warner would want to come to Chicago. He knows the system in Az, and is surrounding by great talent. Even if Boldin leaves, which is assumed, he still has one of the games best WRs in Firtz, and there is also a 3rd WR (forgot his name) that looked great when Boldin was hurt earlier this year. Why would he leave that situation to come to Chicago?

You are assuming that the Cardinals will bring him back. They have quite an investment in Leinart that they probably need to see if is worthwhile at this point. I doubt Warner is going to want a paycut, and after this season, he is probably going to ask for a pretty penny, and can the Cardinals afford to allocate that much money in the QB position?

Warner might now be with the Cardinals. That doesnt mean I think he is coming to the Bears, for the reasons you spoke of, but he is probably going to shop himself around. Who knows, maybe the Bears put their eggs in his basket and give him an offer he cannot turn down, Wide Recievers or not

One word....MONEY!!!!!

No question they have the investment in Leinart, but how many times have we seen this situation. In the past, I have seen it go both ways. SD, for example, hung on to Brees for a year, but then let him go to make room for their high draft pick young QB. But you also have a situation like in Cle, where they kept Anderson, in spite of their young QB.

It has gone both ways in the past, but Az is in the playoffs for the first time in how long? Not only that, but they did it by winning the division, and have won their first playoff game. Simply put, Warner has done more for that franchise than it has seen in a LONG time. They may have a lot invested in Leinart, but I am not sure that will prevent them from retaining Warner. The key, as always, is money. But unlike w/ Brees, who was still young, I do not see any team out there offering Warner a mega deal. I doubt he gets more than a 2 or 3 year deal due to his age. Those 2 or 3 years may not be cheap, but he isn't going to get the long term deal that would eliminate Az, IMHO.

You are assuming that the Cardinals will bring him back. They have quite an investment in Leinart that they probably need to see if is worthwhile at this point. I doubt Warner is going to want a paycut, and after this season, he is probably going to ask for a pretty penny, and can the Cardinals afford to allocate that much money in the QB position?

Warner might now be with the Cardinals. That doesnt mean I think he is coming to the Bears, for the reasons you spoke of, but he is probably going to shop himself around. Who knows, maybe the Bears put their eggs in his basket and give him an offer he cannot turn down, Wide Recievers or not

Sure, money talks, but I think we would have to make him an offer that blows him away, as well as all other offers, to get him to sign. Usually, w/ Washington deals aside, FAs are made similar top offers by a couple teams, but choose the offer that is from a team that best fits him. Every year, FAs sign w/ a team for a tad less (not a lot) because it is a better situation. I doubt we would make him an offer that blows everyone else out of the water, and thus, he is simply more likely to choose the offer from a team w/ a better offense.

One word....MONEY!!!!!

If Warner comes to the Bears, the book is officially closed on Orton.

I don't get it. If you sign Warner the window is small so the Bears would need to significantly upgrade other offensive weapons and I don't see them capable of doing all those things which makes this a very dumb move, imo. The Bears should draft a QB very early in the draft if a top QB is available, sign a backup, and stick with Orton until the drafted QB is ready.

I don't get it. If you sign Warner the window is small so the Bears would need to significantly upgrade other offensive weapons and I don't see them capable of doing all those things which makes this a very dumb move, imo. The Bears should draft a QB very early in the draft if a top QB is available, sign a backup, and stick with Orton until the drafted QB is ready.

Agreed, if the Bears go after Warner then they believe they have a window for the Superbowl next year, its a one shot deal and Warner is out the door.

Sure, money talks, but I think we would have to make him an offer that blows him away, as well as all other offers, to get him to sign. Usually, w/ Washington deals aside, FAs are made similar top offers by a couple teams, but choose the offer that is from a team that best fits him. Every year, FAs sign w/ a team for a tad less (not a lot) because it is a better situation. I doubt we would make him an offer that blows everyone else out of the water, and thus, he is simply more likely to choose the offer from a team w/ a better offense.

See the problem is with the Cardinals is the same with the BROWNS and will be with the PATRIOTS. you are paying your second string alot of money to do nothing but watch. Cassell will be tagged and if Brady comes back Cassell will be traded. Warner is a FA with high priced Matt waiting in the wings. Anderson has Quinn waiting and one of them has got to go.

Some difference in 3 years. On the old board 3 years ago there was nothing but No's when the talk came round to going after Warner in FA

:D

I'm still ano (I think I was back then, too). The guy is a fumble machine. He had a good year, but our OL will leave him wide open and the ball on the turf all season long.

As was I chile & still am a no. I don't think he can play here in December. (& I'm a fan)

I am all for upgraded the QB position. But not with Warner. 1) age 37 and not getting younger, would only be for 1 year maybe 2 years. 2) our Oline. It has been seen in the past when Warner is pressured he is absolutely horrible. Think Grossman except alot more fumbles. No thank you. I don't want someone who is more prone to turning the ball over and is older than Rex. I would rather have Rex as opposed to Warner. Absolutely NOT.

Does anyone remember the game vs. the Giants in '05 I believe where Alex Brown sacked Warner 3 or 4 times? That game gave Alex a nice pay raise and sent Warner's ass to the bench in favor of Eli. If he came to Chicago, would we get the pro-bowl caliber Warner or the punching bag.

Warner's great when he has the guys he has now, or in St. Louis when he had Marshall Faulk, Issaac Bruce, and Tori Holt. Hester would make one helluva of a #3 deep threat for him . . . unfortunately Hester would be his #1 and Bennett or some rookie his #2.

NFO mentioned the major upgrades we'd need for him to be successful and I agree with that. The only problem is, how are we going to do all those things? Hell, if we had a #1 WR, and a much improved offensive line, Orton would be real damn good.

If Warner came here he'd be retiring much sooner and we'll still be talking about what QB to bring in. This move would be bad for Warner and for the Bears.

Does anyone remember the game vs. the Giants in '05 I believe where Alex Brown sacked Warner 3 or 4 times? That game gave Alex a nice pay raise and sent Warner's ass to the bench in favor of Eli. If he came to Chicago, would we get the pro-bowl caliber Warner or the punching bag.

Warner's great when he has the guys he has now, or in St. Louis when he had Marshall Faulk, Issaac Bruce, and Tori Holt. Hester would make one helluva of a #3 deep threat for him . . . unfortunately Hester would be his #1 and Bennett or some rookie his #2.

NFO mentioned the major upgrades we'd need for him to be successful and I agree with that. The only problem is, how are we going to do all those things? Hell, if we had a #1 WR, and a much improved offensive line, Orton would be real damn good.

If Warner came here he'd be retiring much sooner and we'll still be talking about what QB to bring in. This move would be bad for Warner and for the Bears.

Wow I totally forgot that he played for the Giants.. It never crossed my mind lol.

Im not advocating the Bears going after Warner, but Alex brown abused Bob Whitfield that game, that had nothing to do with Warner. Even Michael Vick would have taken 5 sacks that game vs the Bears, the defense was uncorked in that span of games

Im not advocating the Bears going after Warner, but Alex brown abused Bob Whitfield that game, that had nothing to do with Warner. Even Michael Vick would have taken 5 sacks that game vs the Bears, the defense was uncorked in that span of games