Marinelli is a Bear-not official

ASHKUM BEAR

One. Why is his son as our LB coach fine w/ you? Detroit has drafted numerous LBs in the 1st and 2nd round over the last few years, and yet how many have developed? I mentioned this in another post, but they have drafted 4 LBs in the last 5 years between the first round (9th pick overall) and high 2nd round. Where is the development? Maybe it is all a scouting issue, but we are not talking about guys taken from small schools a team gambled on, but LBs who were very highly regarded pre-draft. I realize his son was not the LB coach there, but the DC. At the same time, I just believe that, if LB is his speciality, we should have seen better development from the LBs.

Two. I guess I don't have a major issue w/ Marinelli as our DL coach, but this still just does not sit well w/ me. I get it. He was the HC for a horrible organization, and maybe he was just in over his head. Still. Defense is his thing, so should we not at least expect his team to play decent on defense? Det has been one of, if not the, worst defense in the league, and we just hired their HC, and may hire their DC.

Hey, I have an idea. Detroit had the 3rd from worst offense in the league. Maybe we should hire their OC to be our WR coach.

Sorry, but there is something about the idea of surrounding our coaching staff w/ failed coaches that just doesn't sit well. Then again, w/ Babich and Lovie, I guess they will be in good company.

Tremendous hire. I still think he should be the DC but my guess is he will be very involved on the defensive side of the football. He preaches Lovie's scheme but is also a bit more vocal and I think he'll be an excellent addition. I assume Marinelli's son will be the linebacker coach which is fine with me.

Marinelli is widely regarded as one of the better defensive minds in football and he is a very respected coach in general. The Lions stunk but that wasn't his fault. He was handed a poor roster and very little to work with yet found a way to take an 0-16 team and have it play hard all season long, a team that was in quite a few football games. The Bears are lucky to get a coach of his class signed and as far as his son goes he's supposed to be a pretty solid young mind from everything I heard. Big whoop, he stunk as a DC that might just mean he's not ready to take on that much plus I think some of you guys don't quite grasp how things go in the NFL but coaches have to trust the staffs they have hired which means Lovie puts everything on Babich who puts a lot of stuff on his assistants.

Thats how shit works in the NFL unless you are talking about those rare geniuses such as a Holmgren or Andy Reid that could totally call an offense while being the head coach (Shanny could be counted in here as well) and even those guys needed OC's most of the time.

And I wouldn't call Lovie a failed coach. I wasn't happy with how things went for the Bears but entering the season no one but a coolaid sipper had this team winning 9 games and somehow they did (and they should have won more). So they did a lot more than I thoguht they would with limited talent. The defense played like shit, no denying that, but those who watched the 2007 Bears shouldn't have really been surprised at that as the defense blew that year too (injuries or no injuries). I'll completely agree that Babich should have gotten ousted or at least moved down to DL duties but I think Marinelli will be much more involved.

Marinelli is widely regarded as one of the better defensive minds in football and he is a very respected coach in general. The Lions stunk but that wasn't his fault. He was handed a poor roster and very little to work with yet found a way to take an 0-16 team and have it play hard all season long, a team that was in quite a few football games. The Bears are lucky to get a coach of his class signed and as far as his son goes he's supposed to be a pretty solid young mind from everything I heard. Big whoop, he stunk as a DC that might just mean he's not ready to take on that much plus I think some of you guys don't quite grasp how things go in the NFL but coaches have to trust the staffs they have hired which means Lovie puts everything on Babich who puts a lot of stuff on his assistants.

Thats how shit works in the NFL unless you are talking about those rare geniuses such as a Holmgren or Andy Reid that could totally call an offense while being the head coach (Shanny could be counted in here as well) and even those guys needed OC's most of the time.

It wasn't his fault? Okay, I understand he had hurdles, but wasn't his fault. IMHO, that is a huge problem w/ our team as a whole. Accountability. It is as if the word is foreign or something. He was the Head Coach. I am fine w/ the idea, "it wasn't ALL his fault" but he was the HC or a team that was unable to win a single game. In the league today, that is incredible. Sorry, but it is his fault. I have no problem w/ the idea his team lacks talent, but many teams in the NFL lack talent, and still manage win win a couple games.

As for trusting your staff and all, that is well and good when things are rolling, but you see throughout the league the higher-ups stepping in more when their area of expertise is failing. Often, when you have a HC w/ an offensive background running a team where the OC is failing, you see the HC step in. Why is it different in Chicago? The defense has stunk for two years. Should we not expect Lovie to be more involved as it is his scheme and his area of expertise? Why should the same expectations be different in Detroit. Detroits defense has been flat out awful, yet you don't think Marinelli (as the HC) should have been, or was, involved in that? The team has been investing quite a bit on the LB position, and yet you don't think their DC had anything to do w/ their lack of development?

Honestly, I do not HATE the Marinelli signing, so long as it is DL and not DC. At the same time, it just doesn't sit well w/ me that we are continuing w/ the same failed scheme and way of doing things. His son is another matter. That move would make me sick.

And I wouldn't call Lovie a failed coach. I wasn't happy with how things went for the Bears but entering the season no one but a coolaid sipper had this team winning 9 games and somehow they did (and they should have won more). So they did a lot more than I thoguht they would with limited talent. The defense played like shit, no denying that, but those who watched the 2007 Bears shouldn't have really been surprised at that as the defense blew that year too (injuries or no injuries). I'll completely agree that Babich should have gotten ousted or at least moved down to DL duties but I think Marinelli will be much more involved.

I will confess, I have never liked Lovie. I thought he was a hack as a DC, and never understood why we liked him in the first place. As the HC, I am among those who believe our players won in spite of Lovie far more than due to him. Further, in hindsight, it appears to me we won due to Rivera more than due to Lovie. We won w/ defense, and since Rivera has left, that defense has tanked. Maybe failed coach is excessive, but I would not say successful.

Get out your popcorn, this will be a bumpy ride!

One. Why is his son as our LB coach fine w/ you? Detroit has drafted numerous LBs in the 1st and 2nd round over the last few years, and yet how many have developed? I mentioned this in another post, but they have drafted 4 LBs in the last 5 years between the first round (9th pick overall) and high 2nd round. Where is the development? Maybe it is all a scouting issue, but we are not talking about guys taken from small schools a team gambled on, but LBs who were very highly regarded pre-draft. I realize his son was not the LB coach there, but the DC. At the same time, I just believe that, if LB is his speciality, we should have seen better development from the LBs.

Two. I guess I don't have a major issue w/ Marinelli as our DL coach, but this still just does not sit well w/ me. I get it. He was the HC for a horrible organization, and maybe he was just in over his head. Still. Defense is his thing, so should we not at least expect his team to play decent on defense? Det has been one of, if not the, worst defense in the league, and we just hired their HC, and may hire their DC.

Hey, I have an idea. Detroit had the 3rd from worst offense in the league. Maybe we should hire their OC to be our WR coach.

Sorry, but there is something about the idea of surrounding our coaching staff w/ failed coaches that just doesn't sit well. Then again, w/ Babich and Lovie, I guess they will be in good company.

Get out your popcorn, this will be a bumpy ride!

Well if you are giving saying that Marinelli is at fault for 0-16, then you can't not give Lovie credit for 3 winning seasons in 5 years + a super bowl appearance and say it was all Rivera.

For the record, I said Marinelli is at least partially at fault. In Detroit, I recognize poor ownership, GM and scouting. So I do not fully blame Marinelli. At the same time, I do not believe he can be taken out of the picture when discussing who is at fault.

As for Lovie, I am not saying he has nothing to do w/ the teams success, but if I were asked who was due more credit, Rivera or Lovie, I would say Rivera. We turned around as a team, and went to the SB, more than anything, due to our defense. And I would argue it wasn't even close. Defense carries us. Rivera was in charge of that D.

Now, if after Rivera left we continued to do well on D, I would then have had to admit it was likely more Lovie than Rivera, but our D has tanked since Rivera left, thus I believe there is a very legit argument it was Rivera's D and not Lovie's.

I just do not think much of Lovie as a coach. It does not appear to me he does much to inspire players, and I am not just talking about demeanor. I do not think much of his system. I do not think much of our game plans going into games, and think less of our in-game adjustments. And if you say that is on the coordinators and not the HC, I would have to begin to ask what the HC does?

Well if you are giving saying that Marinelli is at fault for 0-16, then you can't not give Lovie credit for 3 winning seasons in 5 years + a super bowl appearance and say it was all Rivera.

For the record, I said Marinelli is at least partially at fault. In Detroit, I recognize poor ownership, GM and scouting. So I do not fully blame Marinelli. At the same time, I do not believe he can be taken out of the picture when discussing who is at fault.

As for Lovie, I am not saying he has nothing to do w/ the teams success, but if I were asked who was due more credit, Rivera or Lovie, I would say Rivera. We turned around as a team, and went to the SB, more than anything, due to our defense. And I would argue it wasn't even close. Defense carries us. Rivera was in charge of that D.

Now, if after Rivera left we continued to do well on D, I would then have had to admit it was likely more Lovie than Rivera, but our D has tanked since Rivera left, thus I believe there is a very legit argument it was Rivera's D and not Lovie's.

I just do not think much of Lovie as a coach. It does not appear to me he does much to inspire players, and I am not just talking about demeanor. I do not think much of his system. I do not think much of our game plans going into games, and think less of our in-game adjustments. And if you say that is on the coordinators and not the HC, I would have to begin to ask what the HC does?

I'm with you on Lovie. I only hope that if we're going to tank, we do it quickly and consistently enough that there will be NO question that Smith screwed up yet again and it's now time to clean the entire house. Angelo as well.

Agreed.

I fear we'll again do just well enough again to not let Smith go.

I'm with you on Lovie. I only hope that if we're going to tank, we do it quickly and consistently enough that there will be NO question that Smith screwed up yet again and it's now time to clean the entire house. Angelo as well.

When Babich gets demoted, he will go back to the Linebackers coach I forsee.

I am fine w/ adding Marinelli as the DL coach, but question adding him as the DC. He has no playcalling experience, as he was never a DC. He went straight from DL coach to HC. If we are bringing him in to simply work on the DL, fine, but if we are thinking about him as our DC, I think that is a huge mistake. And I say that w/ a record level low opinion of Babich.

I would not mind demoting Babich to LB coach (which I would take over hiring Marinelli's son-in-law for the same position, but feel we need to really upgrade the DC position, and just question why anyone would feel Marinelli would offer that improvement.

I am with you in the fact that I would like to see more fire and accountability on the players, but his record is pretty good for a Bears team that had been one of the worst in the league. I just dont think that should be discounted.

Per KFFL they haven't even offered him a contract

Bears | Team has not offered contract to Marinelli

Wed, 07 Jan 2009 15:25:08 -0800

Contrary to a previous report, Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the Chicago Bears have not offered a contract to former Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli to become their new defensive line coach.

nfo, you are overreacting about the Lions coaches. Their team didn't put up good stats, but they had shit players, thanks to a shit GM and owner. I hardly blame Marinelli our his son in law for any of the woes on D. Ask any Lion fan. They will tell that the only player worth anything on their defense is Ernie Sims. And before they traded Shaun Rogers, he was doing great. You are severely overreacting about the lack of production from the Lions defense and putting far too much blame on the coaches when it really weren't their faults.

its hard for me to believe the Lions had the worst talent level of everyteam since going to the 16 game schedule.

He's a position coach that got in over his head as a head coach, no reason to think he wouldn't be in over his head as Defensive Coordinator that had to call plays, which he's never done.

IMO, the coaches from Tampa all have been over valued. They have been considered Great Defensive Minds, but with Marineli's failure, Bablich's failure, and personally I feel Lovie's failure, they all have not did well when put in the position. That defense was all Monte Kiffin and Tony Dungy.

its hard for me to believe the Lions had the worst talent level of everyteam since going to the 16 game schedule.

He's a position coach that got in over his head as a head coach, no reason to think he wouldn't be in over his head as Defensive Coordinator that had to call plays, which he's never done.

IMO, the coaches from Tampa all have been over valued. They have been considered Great Defensive Minds, but with Marineli's failure, Bablich's failure, and personally I feel Lovie's failure, they all have not did well when put in the position. That defense was all Monte Kiffin and Tony Dungy.

I forgot to ad ja to the list overated minds from Tampa.

Well, then you shouldnt worry about him calling plays then, considering that he is going to be the defensive line coach, and not the defensive coordinator

I forgot to ad ja to the list overated minds from Tampa.

right, he didnt draft any of that talent. That was all Dungy and Kiffin.