Marinielli lands with the bears

bradjock

I just read another article about the Maranelli signing. This one at ChicagoTribune.com

It is definately worth reading. Some of my favorite points in the article:

The Bears' defensive linemen can expect an old-school coach willing to try innovative methods to motivate them. He has been known to use videotape of shark attacks to put his linemen in the proper frame of mind.

Practices at Detroit were so tough in Marinelli's first year that the NFL Players Association filed a grievance on behalf of several Lions. He is a Vietnam veteran who is demanding in a way that endears him to football lifers, and a Bears team that has gone soft since the Super Bowl could benefit from that toughness.

"I always wanted to be coached by him, so now I have the chance," Tommie Harris told the Tribune. "I'm serious about that. He's like the best defensive line coach in the business. I know that from what [ Warren] Sapp said and from what I've watched on film."

It will be particularly interesting to see if Marinelli's daily intensity results in Harris practicing more than once a week due to injury concerns.

"I'll just be a student and be ready to listen," Harris said.

Two things:

1st - I blame the players and coaches for our D-line performance. Their decline is not age or injury related. I really think our D is arrogant and the staff has not been able to reach them. Absolutely a two fold problem.

2nd - Do you think Harris and any DE we have, has the natural talent of Sapp and Rice? IMO - all NFL players have ability, but some are just freaks with talent beyond compare. Honing that talent is a different story.(see Alonzo Spellman)

First: We could have had the greatest 0-line ever assembled and we would have continued to fail at getting pressure on the quarterback. When the QB is saying, "blitz is coming AGAIN . . . I'll take two steps back and toss it to the TE 9 yards down-field" that's purely scheme and bad defensive play-calling.

Second: Tommie Harris has the nature talent of Sapp when healthy.

First: We could have had the greatest 0-line ever assembled and we would have continued to fail at getting pressure on the quarterback. When the QB is saying, "blitz is coming AGAIN . . . I'll take two steps back and toss it to the TE 9 yards down-field" that's purely scheme and bad defensive play-calling.

Second: Tommie Harris has the nature talent of Sapp when healthy.

Kreutz should definitely have more sacks ;)

Looks like his son-in-law is going to Seattle.

For me, this is a double bit of good news. While I hate that Marinelli is Lovie's old BFF, as well as strictly a cover two guy, I do like him as our DL coach, where he should actually be an upgrade for us. Also, if I read the Trib correct, his son-in-law will be taking the LB coaching job w/ Seattle.

As Berry made a point to talk about how much he would love to coach for Chicago/Lovie and continue to work w/ his father-in-law, the fact that he is going to coach the same position we have open in Seattle tells me we told him no thanks. I am flat out thrilled w/ this. Also, I have to wonder if that decision would have been Lovie, or if Angelo stepped in. I have a hard time seeing Lovie not wanting Berry, so I wonder if Angelo told him adding Marinelli is fine, but adding his son is more than fans could deal w/.

If we'd have hired Joe Berry, at least we'd be bringing in a guy who's had success as a line-backers coach and has experience. Previously, we've been bringing in college coaches who have less NFL experience then Urlacher. That's why I was hoping Berry came with.

It's the same argument I see with Ron Turner. Fans always want to fire Turner, but who the hell do you replace him with? Good offensive coordinators aren't changing jobs. Who the hell will we get instead of Berry?

Although I have to believe this was money related. I'm guessing we had to pay Marinelli fairly good on the 3 year deal (at least on the back end since he's still getting paid by Detroit.) Chance are we'll be happy to get an LB's coach on the cheap as we've done in the past.

I hope we re-sign Brown. While I do not think Brown can play FS anymore, and feel FS is our top need on defense, at the same time, I also think Brown can still be an excellent SS, and showed that this year after he was moved. We have a couple young SS' (Payne/Steltz), but neither looked ready to take over. If we were to re-sign Brown, who I do not think would be expensive, it would allow us time to develop the young guys, and (B) allow us to draft a FS w/o losing the leadership in our secondary.

In fact, not just the secondary, but Mike Brown is the closest thing I have seen to leadership on our defense. While we have good to great players, I really would not call any of our players on defense (other than Brown) leaders. They may have the lead by example leadership, but only Brown seems to accept the vocal leadership duties. So I would love to re-sign Brown, but only so long as we are looking at him strictly as a SS, and seek out a good FS in either FA or the draft.

I have to agree with resigning Mike Brown. He won't cost that much.

The key is finding a free safety who's not retarded. Considering Steltz and Payne are both better SS's, it's a definite need. There's buzz about us drafting the safety from USC, but we have so many other needs, it's tough to see us going safety in round 1. I still like the idea of moving Vasher to FS.

I have to agree with resigning Mike Brown. He won't cost that much.

The key is finding a free safety who's not retarded. Considering Steltz and Payne are both better SS's, it's a definite need. There's buzz about us drafting the safety from USC, but we have so many other needs, it's tough to see us going safety in round 1. I still like the idea of moving Vasher to FS.

two years ago I would have agreed completely, but his tackling technique has regressed completely, I dont know that I would like to have him out there as the last line of defense if he is going to try and throw a shoulder at a running back that has already picked up steam.

I used to love having Vasher out there, but ever since he got paid he forgot what made him good at what he does, it was very dissapointing watching him this year

two years ago I would have agreed completely, but his tackling technique has regressed completely, I dont know that I would like to have him out there as the last line of defense if he is going to try and throw a shoulder at a running back that has already picked up steam.

I used to love having Vasher out there, but ever since he got paid he forgot what made him good at what he does, it was very dissapointing watching him this year

Yes, Vasher needs to improve on his tackling. But he's fast, he's never been great in coverage, and his greatest strength has been getting in position to ifnd the football. That tells me he's be good at free safety.

Two things:

1st - I blame the players and coaches for our D-line performance. Their decline is not age or injury related. I really think our D is arrogant and the staff has not been able to reach them. Absolutely a two fold problem.

2nd - Do you think Harris and any DE we have, has the natural talent of Sapp and Rice? IMO - all NFL players have ability, but some are just freaks with talent beyond compare. Honing that talent is a different story.(see Alonzo Spellman)

I do think Harris has the same talent level that Sapp had, perhaps better because he's even quicker off the line. At DE I do not think we have anyone as quick at getting around the corner as Rice was. I thought Mark Anderson had that type of burst but in his last two seasons he doesn't look like he even works out in the offseason.

If I remember it was the old "he is a cancer in the locker room" arguement.

this was the word on the street/press and not from our organization. they seemed to think that he was a one trick pony.

i heard he was not happy with the cards organization and was vocal about it. no big deal considering the owners as far as i'm concerned.

but even is he was a lockerroom problem you take your shot with a player of this quality that WANTS to be in chicago.

i seriously don't think with the years of experience we had on our defensive line such as ted washington and keith traylor he would have gotten away with anything detrimental before being stomped into the turf.