More on Marinelli

Connorbear

Despite what NFO and some others here say, I think this is outstanding. This IS the position Marinelli is best at coaching. I said this a few weeks ago when we were discussing bringing him in as DC and we were all generally against that.

Let's face it, our DL sucked shit this season. Is it Tommy Harris disappearing for most of the season or coaching? Some combination of both? Probably. But good coaching in the DL will impact the entire D.

Unlike some here, I don't think the Cover 2 is doomed. It's about how good the players in it are and how well coached they are such that you can feel confident with being aggressive. My biggest fear is the players we have on D have gotten old and they just aren't that good anymore. If that's the case; scheme and coaching won't mean dick.

Despite what NFO and some others here say, I think this is outstanding. This IS the position Marinelli is best at coaching. I said this a few weeks ago when we were discussing bringing him in as DC and we were all generally against that.

Let's face it, our DL sucked shit this season. Is it Tommy Harris disappearing for most of the season or coaching? Some combination of both? Probably. But good coaching in the DL will impact the entire D.

Unlike some here, I don't think the Cover 2 is doomed. It's about how good the players in it are and how well coached they are such that you can feel confident with being aggressive. My biggest fear is the players we have on D have gotten old and they just aren't that good anymore. If that's the case; scheme and coaching won't mean dick.

I agree it's a step in the right direction. But, still think the whole coaching exodus was mishandled. I still blame Lovie and will until proven otherwise.

I agree that he cover two may not be dead. I look at the Colts and see what they do with massive losses at D every year. Every year people in Indy wonder what they are going to with without player X. They always seem to find a player. I think the Colts are also the most disproportionate team in terms of payroll in the NFL. I think around 65%+ of the money is offense.

Our defense as individuals seem to rely on a false sense of greatness, leading our team to believe it can turn it on at will. Problem is, they are so far removed from the greatness that got them to that point, they are lost. The first step for our defenders is humility and the understanding they are not better without the effort and desire. Our D is still relatively young and able to overcome themselves.

As far as coaching is concerned, Marinelli seems ego-less and as close to ground zero as you can get. That is a start. Maybe they can all resurrect their careers together.

I'm personally shocked we didn't bring Barry as linebackers coach. This has got me thinking that perhaps Babich might be demoted... who knows.

I wonder if any other good assistants/coaches might get fired and that the Bears secretly have there eyes out after one of them and at that point you'll see them hire that guy as the DC and thus move Babich to the LB ranks (which I'd be perfectly content with).

I was just thinking about something... Is the reason why we fired Wilkes because Herm Edwards is likely out the door in Kansas City, and we plan on aggressively going after Edwards to be our DB coach? He and Lovie are good friends as well, and perhaps Edwards, like Marinelli, would like to go back to coaching his old position.

I think it is a legit possibility. Also, I wouldn't want Edwards as a DC as he the biggest knock against him is his game planning. However, he was a great DB's coach.

I was just thinking about something... Is the reason why we fired Wilkes because Herm Edwards is likely out the door in Kansas City, and we plan on aggressively going after Edwards to be our DB coach? He and Lovie are good friends as well, and perhaps Edwards, like Marinelli, would like to go back to coaching his old position.

I think it is a legit possibility. Also, I wouldn't want Edwards as a DC as he the biggest knock against him is his game planning. However, he was a great DB's coach.

Edwards was the exact name I was thinking of when thinking of coaches that would potentially be let go that would fit in nicely. The question is whether Edwards would have interest in sitting out a year at taking a pay-check after being fired of if he would be willing to come in and be a Dcoord right away. If he was willing you could bet it would be to join the Bears as he would be incredibly comfortable with the system and coaches.

I still think Edwards might get let go.

I really don't like Edwards as a DC though. He is known as a HC for just very bad game plans, but he is a very good coach and a great DB coach.

I'm thinking after the Chiefs bring in Pioli (it's almost a done deal) and fire Edwards, we could maybe entice Edwards to be a DB coach for a season while he waits for a HC position in 2010. This is because he ain't getting a HC job this offseason, and a coordinator would require more of a long term commitment.

To have Edwards as DB coach, even for one season, I'd cream my pants.

Herm Edwards isn't about to go from being an NFL HC to a DB coach.

Absolutely positively no way he becomes a DB asst coach for the BEARS.

Besides last I heard he was still the chiefs HC.

How can you say that after Marinelli was hired to be a position coach?

You're right, he's still a HC but that's only because they're in the process of hiring a GM and they want the GM to pick the new HC or have him be the one that keeps Edwards. The expectation is that Herm will be cut loose.

How can you say that after Marinelli was hired to be a position coach?

You're right, he's still a HC but that's only because they're in the process of hiring a GM and they want the GM to pick the new HC or have him be the one that keeps Edwards. The expectation is that Herm will be cut loose.

Marinelli was hired to be the asst head coach and d-line coach and 2nd highest paid coach on the BEARS next to Lovie.

Let me know when Herm Edwards becomes the BEARS db coach. It simply aint going to happen.

Marinelli was hired to be the asst head coach and d-line coach and 2nd highest paid coach on the BEARS next to Lovie.

Let me know when Herm Edwards becomes the BEARS db coach. It simply aint going to happen.

You're probably right, but to completely dismiss it is silly.