QB possibility?

Wesson44

Adam Schefter

Will Delhomme return to Carolina next season?

Posted: January 11th, 2009 | Adam Schefter | Tags: Carolina Panthers, Derek Anderson, Jake Delhomme, Michael Vick

Streeter Lecka/Getty Images

Tampa Bay is no longer the lone NFC South team expected to be looking for a quarterback this offseason.

With his woeful performance Saturday night, Panthers quarterback Jake Delhomme made Tarvaris Jackson look like Bart Starr.

In fact, the five interceptions Delhomme threw Saturday night were two more than Starr threw in his entire postseason career that consisted of 213 passing attempts. With his 39.1 passer rating (which seemed more like 0.0), Delhomme now is in the conversation for the worst game ever by a quarterback in a big spot.

Now the question becomes what will happen to Delhomme, especially considering that he carries a team-high $11 million salary-cap figure for next season. If the Panthers release Delhomme, they would save a whopping $6.325 million against next season’s salary cap — perhaps enough to pursue another quarterback such as Cleveland’s Derek Anderson or even Michael Vick.

It will be challenging for Carolina and its fans to trust Delhomme after Saturday night’s divisional playoff loss.

LOL if Carolina replaces Delhomme with Anderson. Talk about replacing crap with even more crap.

I think they'll pursue Kerry Collins aggressively. Tennessee will be willing to let him go with VY waiting and making a ton of money, and having to pay Haynesworth all they got to keep him.

As for us bringing in Delhomme... I just puked all over my key board.

I agree I don't want delhomme either. He is nothing more than a decent QB in the league. I believe Orton can do better. What about Caleb Hanie. Are we forgetting that he is on this roster as well and he did great during the preseason. I know that it was against 3rd stringers but I was looking at how comfortable and relaxed he looked in the pocket. He has the ability to avoid the rush and take off to pick up some yardage. I am all for drafting a QB if there is a decent one out there. I do not want to go after a veteran that will want to start and cost a shit load of money.