Trade for Cassel?

AZ54

Rumor is the Patriots are asking for a 1st Rd pick for Matt Cassel. I'm not ready to give that up for a one year wonder, especially with the talent on that team as well the coaching staff. I don't watch Patriot's games so I really don't know how good he looked as a QB but he did put up some very impressive numbers in the second half of the season. I'd give up a 3rd Rd pick plus maybe a 6th Rd pick.

What do you think he's worth?

I think Derek Anderson killed Cassels' chance of getting a big trade offer. He did well considering the circumstance in which he had to take over. But, he did take the reigns of the most prolific offense in NFL history. He's such a gamble, I do agree with your wanting to give a 3rd and 6th for him. However, there is no way the Patriots let him go for that this year. Especially with not knowing the status of Brady.

I'll chime in with agreement. Pass.

He's essentially an unknown. He may have done well on the well-oiled machine that is the Patriots, but he's questionable.

The Bears may as well draft a guy straight out of college as to trade for Cassell.

Pass. he's worth a 2nd...

Rumor is the Patriots are asking for a 1st Rd pick for Matt Cassel. I'm not ready to give that up for a one year wonder, especially with the talent on that team as well the coaching staff. I don't watch Patriot's games so I really don't know how good he looked as a QB but he did put up some very impressive numbers in the second half of the season. I'd give up a 3rd Rd pick plus maybe a 6th Rd pick.

I basically agree...

For a 2nd, I wouldn't mind the experiment. For a first, it's far too costly. Then agian, if we get another injured OL... ;)

In my mind his success is mostly due to the system and the other talent around him. He'd turn into a lump of shit with the Bears...

Now that I've expressed an opinion, you can expect NFO to show up in a few minutes to say that Cassel is the second coming of John Elway.

Three...

Two...

One...............

Huh? I am on record saying I think Cassel has seen success due to what surrounds him. In NE, he has one of, if not the, top coaching staff's in the league. He has two of the best Wrs in the league to throw too. He has a solid OL.

I think Cassel may be a solid player, but there is simply far too much which is unknown. If we brought him in, w/o SERIOUSLY upgrading the rest of the offense, I think he would flop.

I would consider a 2nd round pick for him. A 2nd rounder is nothing to throw away, but I would argue worth it for a "potential" franchise QB. Further, if we gave up a 2nd and not a 1st, we would still have the ability to upgrade the offense he would work in.

But for the most part, no, I would pass. If we could get him for a 2nd, and I knew Angelo was also going to make upgrading the OL and WR corp a priority, then I would "consider" it, but as I see both elements unlikely, I simply do not think it is worth it.

In my mind his success is mostly due to the system and the other talent around him. He'd turn into a lump of shit with the Bears...

Now that I've expressed an opinion, you can expect NFO to show up in a few minutes to say that Cassel is the second coming of John Elway.

Three...

Two...

One...............

Where have you heard this so called rumor ? Do you have a site ?

The Pattys don't even know yet if Brady will need another operation and if Brady will even play in 09.

So I see no validity to any rumor that they'd even consider trading Cassel at this point and time.

I might add back on 1/4/09 ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported that the Patriots have determined that

they will use the franchise tag on Cassel.

Time period for NFL teams to franchise players is from 2/5 thru 2/19.

Where have you heard this so called rumor ? Do you have a site ?

The Pattys don't even know yet if Brady will need another operation and if Brady will even play in 09.

So I see no validity to any rumor that they'd even consider trading Cassel at this point and time.

I might add back on 1/4/09 ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported that the Patriots have determined that

they will use the franchise tag on Cassel.

Time period for NFL teams to franchise players is from 2/5 thru 2/19.

I have seen several sources including CBS and prosportsdaily to go along with a couple of sports talk radio sights saying that the franchised because they want to get something for him instead of just letting him walk. But I have also heard conflicting reports saying that the they franchised him is because they simply don't know if Brady will be ready to go in time.

I have seen several sources including CBS and prosportsdaily to go along with a couple of sports talk radio sights saying that the franchised because they want to get something for him instead of just letting him walk. But I have also heard conflicting reports saying that the they franchised him is because they simply don't know if Brady will be ready to go in time.

I find it to be absolutely implausible to expect that a team will give up something of value in a trade for him while at the same time take a $14 million guaranteed dollar cap hit. The Patriots can't be stupid enough to believe someone will do that. The only reason it makes sense to tag him is if you have a high probability that Brady will not be ready this September. Otherwise, the franchise tag for a QB is just too much of your cap room.

I find it to be absolutely implausible to expect that a team will give up something of value in a trade for him while at the same time take a $14 million guaranteed dollar cap hit. The Patriots can't be stupid enough to believe someone will do that. The only reason it makes sense to tag him is if you have a high probability that Brady will not be ready this September. Otherwise, the franchise tag for a QB is just too much of your cap room.

If they tag him and then trade him the new team will give him a new contract as the tag only applies to the team that placed it.

Sounds like Brady is going to need more surgery and might miss next year as well. The might almost be smarter to renegotiate a deal with Cassel early to avoid the tag but that deal would have to be responsible and affordable based on Cassel's level of play. He's been throwing to Moss and Welker as well so you gotta take that into consideration. As has been mentioned, looking at what happened to Derek Anderson after getting his big deal probably takes alot of the polish off a Cassel deal. I don't think he's worth a first rounder and wouldn't want the Bears to even consider that deal.