Payton Award Finalists...

madlithuanian

We'll always love and respect you Walter!

walterjarret.jpg

BIRK, WARNER, DAWKINS ARE FINALISTS FOR THE WALTER PAYTON AWARD

Posted by Mike Florio on January 15, 2009, 4:36 p.m.

As we recently learned, the NFL has only a handful of official postseason awards. Three, to be precise.

The Super Bowl MVP, the Pro Bowl MVP, and the Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year.

As to the latter prize, the field is down to three players.

Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner, Vikings center Matt Birk, and Eagles safety Brian Dawkins.

Another thing they have in common is that all three players currently are on track to become free agents in less than two months.

The award recognizes its recipient for on-field performance and off-field community service, and it is named for the Hall of Fame running back who died ten years ago at age 45.

The winner will be named on Friday, January 30.

Last year’s winner was defensive end Jason Taylor, then of the Dolphins.

I hear you connor...

I was in a restaurant with my folks during college when we heard it on the tv as you walked in, and all 3 of us wept like babies...

I remember the day he passed like it was yesterday. Hearing Virginia McCaskey lose it on the radio made me have to pull of the road to compose myself. We will never forget him.

Peace :dabears

I hear you connor...

I was in a restaurant with my folks during college when we heard it on the tv as you walked in, and all 3 of us wept like babies...

Best part of the week he passed was I had tickets to the Bears next game in GB. The Packer fans were incredibly nice. Several of them had signs for Walter. At the end of the 3rd quarter the Wisconsin Badgers Tuba section came out on the field with Walter Payton #34 spelled out (each Tuba had a different letter or #). The place went wild. What a great moment of tribute for a great, great player.

Worthy adversaries!

Best part of the week he passed was I had tickets to the Bears next game in GB. The Packer fans were incredibly nice. Several of them had signs for Walter. At the end of the 3rd quarter the Wisconsin Badgers Tuba section came out on the field with Walter Payton #34 spelled out (each Tuba had a different letter or #). The place went wild. What a great moment of tribute for a great, great player.

Yes it was a sad day, But what a legacy this man left behind. Wow, I never would have thought when he was draftred he would be the most beloved man in football, let alone Chicago.

Give to warner this year. He has done bunches here for kids and the needy, I would never award anything to a Viking, and Dawkins is ok but I am pulling for Warner this year to get it.