Peppers for Ogun?

Wesson44

PEPPERS WANTS OUT OF CAROLINA

Posted by Mike Florio on January 17, 2009, 12:15 a.m.

At a time when the Carolina Panthers would be required to tender a $17 million one-year salary to defensive end Julius Peppers in order to keep his rights via the franchise tag, Peppers is making it known that he doesn’t want to remain with the team.

“The front office has been informed of my desire to explore opportunities with other NFL teams following the expiration of my contract next month,” Peppers said in a statement e-mailed by his agent to ESPN’s Chris Mortensen, and possibly others. “At this point in my NFL career, I am seeking new challenges that will allow me to grow, develop and reach my personal potential on the football field.

“I strongly feel that making a move at this time is in my best interest. I appreciate the entire Panthers organization and am thankful for the seven seasons I’ve spent with the team.”

“Julius is firm in his decision that he needs a change,” agent Carl Carey said, per Mortensen. “He feels that he can thrive in another system. While he has been selected to four Pro Bowls and designated as an All-Pro during his career, he feels that he has yet to develop to his full potential. This is the case of a great player who seeks to become an elite one.”

Peppers is a North Carolina native, and he played college football at the University of North Carolina. So by turning his back on the Panthers, he’s essentially turning his back on his home state.

Well that's interesting. I have to say that 14.5 sacks would look awfully nice from one of our DEs. We have a lot of cap space and if we're not going to spend it on a QB then we might as well spend the cash on getting a pass rush. He's only 28 so he definitely has a few good years left.

Is Rosenass Peppers agent? We heard worse things from Briggs last year. Lance didn't just he wanted out, but declared he'd never wear a Bear's uniform again. In other words, this is just Peppers putting pressure on the team to give him a long term deal and not use the franchise tag on him.

Although I was shocked as hell that if franchised the cap number would be 17 million??? I'm guessing this would be the 2nd year in a row he's been tagged. This tells me his deal will top Jared Allen's deal of 6 years 73 million. That's one helluva a lot money.

Wale had 9.5 sacks in 2007. Let's work to getting him back to top form before we do anything else.

Is Rosenass Peppers agent? We heard worse things from Briggs last year. Lance didn't just he wanted out, but declared he'd never wear a Bear's uniform again. In other words, this is just Peppers putting pressure on the team to give him a long term deal and not use the franchise tag on him.

Although I was shocked as hell that if franchised the cap number would be 17 million??? I'm guessing this would be the 2nd year in a row he's been tagged. This tells me his deal will top Jared Allen's deal of 6 years 73 million. That's one helluva a lot money.

Wale had 9.5 sacks in 2007. Let's work to getting him back to top form before we do anything else.

Agree this is simply Peppers pressure play, but I think it is to get out rather than to get Carolinao to give him a long term deal. Carolina simply doesn't have the cap space to give him the deal other teams can, and he knows that.

Yea, I was surprised at $17m too. Frankly, I am not sure Carolina even can tag him now. They are reported to be $10m under the cap. They would have to cut a lot of players, including probably Delhomme, who they have already said will not be cut, just to tag him.

He will cost a lot, no question, but if you want the best player at a position, still in his prime, you are going to pay for him. Why get cheap here. Not like we are spending on QB, which eats up huge cap space for most teams.

How about this. We hold a meeting w/ the big contract players on defense, and tell him we would like to sign Peppers, but want them to "chip in". I think few would argue that adding Peppers would benefit the defense as a whole, and our players individually. If they want that, shave a million off their deals.

Seriously though, cut ties w/ Wale, and then Tait, and watch our cap space climb to over $30m. Now bite the bullet, stop trying to save Virginia money, and sign the best DE in the league.

No. If you had read the article, it said:

agent Carl Carey said, per Mortensen

I'd love to have him but I don't see the Bears ownership forking over the coin that he wants.. Marinelli would turn Harris and Peppers into the next Sapp and Rice! Signing him basically eliminates any other moves, and we need some major help on offense like WIDE RECEIVER. The dream scenario would be to sign Peppers and get Maclin in the 1st round and get a dynamic running back to tag along with Forte. Someone to be the dash to Forte's smash!

Signing Peppers would do a lot for our defense. At a minimum it would make our entire secondary better. Given our shortcomings at FS that's something we could use. Assuming Harris can return to something close to his former self every offense we face would have a tough choice on where to focus their protection -- inside our outside? A little more concern about an outside pass rush might finally open up some gaps inside to make our blitzes more effective, although we should need that much less often. Last, Briggs and Urlacher will be more effective as they return to their former role playing off the LOS which might finally stop these quick inside slants.

I know we have a lot of money invested on our D but when one player could make the entire group better that's worth quite a bit. Cut Ogun to make some room, or better yet trade him. Getting something is better than nothing. I'm sure we'll address FS in the draft of lower teir FA but if we were to get Peppers we could make offense the focus of the rest of the offseason.

I know we have a lot of money invested on our D but when one player could make the entire group better that's worth quite a bit. Cut Ogun to make some room, or better yet trade him. Getting something is better than nothing. I'm sure we'll address FS in the draft of lower teir FA but if we were to get Peppers we could make offense the focus of the rest of the offseason.

But how do you know Peppers would do that much for the defense? When we brought in Wale, he was coming off a 15 sack season. The next season with the Bears he only recorded 5 sacks in 12 games. Peppers had a great season this year, but in 2007 in 14 games he only had 2.5 sacks. Sure he was hurt, but who's to say he won't be hurt next season?

Peppers just turned 29 and Wale is 31 now and turns 32 in in August so there's a 2 1/2 year age difference between the two. It's likely Peppers will want a 6 year deal . . . if we think Wale is bad at 31, how will Peppers be in two years? Sure you can cut the guy, but when you fork out huge dollars, you expect the guy to fortify the position for years to come.

Here's how I look at it: Hypothetically speaking, what if Tommie Harris had never been a Bear, yet we signed him last offseason? Fans were pretty pissed with him this season, and he's already been great for this team.

What I'm saying is that Peppers might suck. We're better off hoping like hell Wale turns it around in his contract year then betting the farm on someone else.

But how do you know Peppers would do that much for the defense? When we brought in Wale, he was coming off a 15 sack season. The next season with the Bears he only recorded 5 sacks in 12 games. Peppers had a great season this year, but in 2007 in 14 games he only had 2.5 sacks. Sure he was hurt, but who's to say he won't be hurt next season?

Peppers just turned 29 and Wale is 31 now and turns 32 in in August so there's a 2 1/2 year age difference between the two. It's likely Peppers will want a 6 year deal . . . if we think Wale is bad at 31, how will Peppers be in two years? Sure you can cut the guy, but when you fork out huge dollars, you expect the guy to fortify the position for years to come.

Here's how I look at it: Hypothetically speaking, what if Tommie Harris had never been a Bear, yet we signed him last offseason? Fans were pretty pissed with him this season, and he's already been great for this team.

What I'm saying is that Peppers might suck. We're better off hoping like hell Wale turns it around in his contract year then betting the farm on someone else.

IMHO what you don't understand is that Peppers is a better athlete than Wale is. He can do far more for this team than Ogun. Peppers can also play OLB as wale can't so dropping Peppers into coverage will help the Bears scheme at some point.

IMHO what you don't understand is that Peppers is a better athlete than Wale is. He can do far more for this team than Ogun. Peppers can also play OLB as wale can't so dropping Peppers into coverage will help the Bears scheme at some point.

The Tribune had an article in there today about Peppers. I didn't read it but the caption that I read is if LS/JA want a DE they should everything in there power to get him.

The Tribune had an article in there today about Peppers. I didn't read it but the caption that I read is if LS/JA want a DE they should everything in there power to get him.

After reading the article it just basically gives the sports writer's view that it would be the best move for Angelo to make. The one quote I thought interesting is the possible contract ramifications. We look to be in good cap shape. I still think draft DE, Let Marinelli work with Ogun, Brown, & Anderson, then use the cap money for OL & WR, or even possibly a top Safety.

With the Bears expected to be as much as $25 million below the league's $123 million salary cap, finding cap space likely wouldn't be the issue. It could come down to the organization's willingness to write the NFL's richest contract ever for a pass-rusher.

The Colts' 2007 signing of Dwight Freeney to a seven-year, $72 million deal with $30 million in guarantees still represents the standard for pass-rushers. The Bears must determine how interested they are in setting a standard.

We can probably forget about Peppers. It sounds like he wants to play in a 3-4 defense and were a 4-3. He'll probably end up with Baltimore or Dallas, one of the two next season. We should just give him whatever money we can and hope he takes the bait :)

I would love to bring in a peppers but I dont' want to mortgage away everything though either, like Washington seems to do an awful lot.

If Peppers is tagged he'll be getting right at 14 million.

His sack total was up from 07 but he was playing for a new contract in 08.

Ogun had fewer sacks but more tackles than Peppers in 08.

I wouldn't make Peppers the highest paid BEARS player and that's what it will take to sign him.

JA won't even offer him a contract IMO.

Marinell was brought in to up grade the current d-line. JA may draft a DE but he won't be signing Peppers.

His sack total was up from 07 but he was playing for a new contract in 08.

Ogun had fewer sacks but more tackles than Peppers in 08.

I wouldn't make Peppers the highest paid BEARS player and that's what it will take to sign him.

JA won't even offer him a contract IMO.

Marinell was brought in to up grade the current d-line. JA may draft a DE but he won't be signing Peppers.

I think that JA will look at him and at least offer a contract but I don't see him coming this way. I think we agree that Marinelli does more for the DL than Peppers will.

Give me Suggs. He's a perfect fit for us, and while we'd have to give him a big contract, Peppers is looking for a LOT more. Besides, watching Suggs gut it out tonight with a severely damaged ligament(s?) in his shoulder shows how well he would fit in with us.

While Peppers is a freak athlete and is a stud, he's more about the money then the game, IMO. I'd rather have someone who's more of a leader like Suggs.

Give me Suggs. He's a perfect fit for us, and while we'd have to give him a big contract, Peppers is looking for a LOT more. Besides, watching Suggs gut it out tonight with a severely damaged ligament(s?) in his shoulder shows how well he would fit in with us.

While Peppers is a freak athlete and is a stud, he's more about the money then the game, IMO. I'd rather have someone who's more of a leader like Suggs.

I wanted Suggs via the draft a few yrs ago. JA traded down for Haynes and Grossman.

Suggs would be an excellent FA signing. He's a gamer.....

Although I was shocked as hell that if franchised the cap number would be 17 million??? I'm guessing this would be the 2nd year in a row he's been tagged.

Nope, this would be his first time being tagged, but $17M is more than the Panthers can afford, IMO. I'll explain below how the number got so big.

Danimal, I'm glad I'm not the only cap enthusiast who got tripped up by the $17M. I'm assuming that you used "total salary" when you did your calculation ($11.735M X 120% = $14.08M). Heh, I found out that's not what the league actually does...

But first, for those who don't read up on cap stuff, I never pass up a chance to pass on a little information. LT2_3 got me hooked several years ago, and I want to spread the addiction to others! LOL

There are two flavors of franchise tags.

The first is "non-exclusive", which is the one we're all familiar with. If the team uses this tag, it costs them the average of the top 5 "salaries" at that position from the previous year OR 120% of the player's previous year's "salary" - whichever is greater. Another team can sign the player, but it will cost two 1st round picks if they do.

The second is "exclusive", which I'm not sure has ever been used. That tag means the player cannot talk to any other team. The difference is that if the top 5 "salaries" is used (rather than the 120% option), it's for the current year. That figure is established after free agency ends.

Back to you, danimal. After doing some calculations, I discovered that the league uses the average of the top 5 cap numbers for their "salaries". When you think about it, that's the only fair numbers they can use.

So, Peppers' cap number in '08 was $14.138M X 120% = $16.97M = $17M rounded up.

Does anybody remember how old Jevon Kerse was when he left for Philly? That didnt turn out to well.

I believe he was 27 or just turned 28. I don't think age was a factor though. I am not sure if it was system or what, but Kearse became basically a non-factor in Phily. In fact, at 32, some may argue he played better as a rotation guy for Tenn this year than he did at a younger age, as a starter, for Phily.

But I am not sure we can simply point to Kearse and say that didn't work, so Peppers wouldn't. Heck, we can look at a more recent example w/ Jared Allen.

Nope, this would be his first time being tagged, but $17M is more than the Panthers can afford, IMO. I'll explain below how the number got so big.

Danimal, I'm glad I'm not the only cap enthusiast who got tripped up by the $17M. I'm assuming that you used "total salary" when you did your calculation ($11.735M X 120% = $14.08M). Heh, I found out that's not what the league actually does...

But first, for those who don't read up on cap stuff, I never pass up a chance to pass on a little information. LT2_3 got me hooked several years ago, and I want to spread the addiction to others! LOL

There are two flavors of franchise tags.

The first is "non-exclusive", which is the one we're all familiar with. If the team uses this tag, it costs them the average of the top 5 "salaries" at that position from the previous year OR 120% of the player's previous year's "salary" - whichever is greater. Another team can sign the player, but it will cost two 1st round picks if they do.

The second is "exclusive", which I'm not sure has ever been used. That tag means the player cannot talk to any other team. The difference is that if the top 5 "salaries" is used (rather than the 120% option), it's for the current year. That figure is established after free agency ends.

Back to you, danimal. After doing some calculations, I discovered that the league uses the average of the top 5 cap numbers for their "salaries". When you think about it, that's the only fair numbers they can use.

So, Peppers' cap number in '08 was $14.138M X 120% = $16.97M = $17M rounded up.

Allen is 26 years old...with 4 years in the league before he was traded........peppers is 29 with 7 years in the league....all im saying is age and years in the league could play a factor.....there is alot of wear and tear on the dline...i would hate to wrap alot of money into a pass rusher and get what philly did....i wanted Kerse real bad, shows how much i know