Trade for Matt Leinart?

AZ54

I got the feedback on Cassell and it seemed to be about half for a trade and half against. In any case the draft pick had to no higher than a second or lower.

Now there's some talk in Phoenix of the Cards considering trading Leinart. After getting to the playoffs I don't think they have a choice but to re-sign Warner and effectively make him the starter for next year. That means they can free up cap space and get another draft pick if they trade Leinart.

My opinion is that Leinart doesn't have the work ethic to really succeed in the NFL. That might change as he gets older but I wouldn't bet on it. I don't have a clue what his contract is but I'm sure he'll come with a large cap hit. I'm not in favor of pursuing a trade for him but if we did I would not give up more than a 4th Rd pick.

I got the feedback on Cassell and it seemed to be about half for a trade and half against. In any case the draft pick had to no higher than a second or lower.

Now there's some talk in Phoenix of the Cards considering trading Leinart. After getting to the playoffs I don't think they have a choice but to re-sign Warner and effectively make him the starter for next year. That means they can free up cap space and get another draft pick if they trade Leinart.

My opinion is that Leinart doesn't have the work ethic to really succeed in the NFL. That might change as he gets older but I wouldn't bet on it. I don't have a clue what his contract is but I'm sure he'll come with a large cap hit. I'm not in favor of pursuing a trade for him but if we did I would not give up more than a 4th Rd pick.

I am not sure I would want him. For a 4th though I would at least think about it. Kinda depends on his contract breakdown. I can only seem to find information on the contract that he signed which was 6 yrs 50.8 million signed in 2006. He will be entering his 4 NFL season and last year he counted just over 2.2 mill against the cap.

Does anyone have a good website to find the breakdown of a players contract from year to year as well as possible bonuses/incentives that he could potentially receive.

It'd be great to pair up Leinart with Kyle Orton. Kyle could teach him work ethic and why it's important not to get pictures of yourself acting like a drunken ass-hat plastered all over the Internet. That being said, this wouldn't and shouldn't happen. Leinart was the 10th overall pick and his contract will cost us a significant amount of money. That means we'd have to give up a high draft pick plus pay out the nose. If you're going to give money plus picks you'd better make sure he's one helluva a lot better then the guy we have, Kyle Orton. Is he? Heck, Leinart struggled with Fitz & Boldin as his WR's. How the hell would he do with Marty Booker?

IMO, the Bears best bet is to sign a good back-up who's still young enough to be the guy: Leftwhich, Simms, J.P. Lossman . . .

Then drat a guy in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rounds (If you take a guy #1 there's too much pressure for him to be elite.)

Not happening. If the Cards traded Leinart, it's be a 3-4 million dollar cap hit for them, and they aren't going to sell low on someone they spent the 10th overall pick on just 3 years ago. Also, they still need a backup for Warner, as he is 40, or almost 40. Leinart ain't going anywhere.

Absolutely.

First, just to throw it out there, how did that other top 10 pick of Az we signed work out for us?

When it comes to a trade, I think you are always considering a few factors.

One. trade value. To be totally honest, I have no clue on his value. I do not see it being super high. Despite where he was drafted, he has done nothing to warrant much in return. 3rd? 4th?

Two. Money. I don't know the details of his deal, but he is on his rookie deal, and in top 10 picks, you usually see the most painful aspect of the contract in the bonus form, which we would NOT be on the hook for. To me, this is a key. We get a player w/o the bonus issues. If we want to cut him at any time, there would be no cap consequences.

Three. Ability. To be honest, I watched him in college more than pro. In college, the talent was there. No question. In the pros, I really don't know what prevented him from doing better. I have heard work ethic, which is a red flag I would risk. Just surround him w/ veterans and staff who can teach him otherwise. What I don't know is, when he has played, how he looked. Obviously not good, but was it a matter of mental, physical, or what.

At the end of the day, this is a deal I would consider. Leinart would be FAR from the first player not to make it in Az, but find greater success elsewhere. W/ a lower draft pick cost, and w/o signing bonus, I would do this deal. I would have a difficult time believing any of the later round QB rookies would be better. I have a tough time believing any of the FA QBs would come w/ less red flags or a higher ceiling. Finally, I would prefer this trade anyday to the Cassel trade, as that deal would cost more in pick(s) and would require us to give him a new deal, meaning big bonus dollars.

Agreed...

Absolutely.

First, just to throw it out there, how did that other top 10 pick of Az we signed work out for us?

When it comes to a trade, I think you are always considering a few factors.

One. trade value. To be totally honest, I have no clue on his value. I do not see it being super high. Despite where he was drafted, he has done nothing to warrant much in return. 3rd? 4th?

Two. Money. I don't know the details of his deal, but he is on his rookie deal, and in top 10 picks, you usually see the most painful aspect of the contract in the bonus form, which we would NOT be on the hook for. To me, this is a key. We get a player w/o the bonus issues. If we want to cut him at any time, there would be no cap consequences.

Three. Ability. To be honest, I watched him in college more than pro. In college, the talent was there. No question. In the pros, I really don't know what prevented him from doing better. I have heard work ethic, which is a red flag I would risk. Just surround him w/ veterans and staff who can teach him otherwise. What I don't know is, when he has played, how he looked. Obviously not good, but was it a matter of mental, physical, or what.

At the end of the day, this is a deal I would consider. Leinart would be FAR from the first player not to make it in Az, but find greater success elsewhere. W/ a lower draft pick cost, and w/o signing bonus, I would do this deal. I would have a difficult time believing any of the later round QB rookies would be better. I have a tough time believing any of the FA QBs would come w/ less red flags or a higher ceiling. Finally, I would prefer this trade anyday to the Cassel trade, as that deal would cost more in pick(s) and would require us to give him a new deal, meaning big bonus dollars.

I doubt that Arizona would be stupid enough to trade a highly drafted quarterback when the starter is 40. Not to mention that the Steelers will likely break "grandpa winter's" hip during the super bowl and hips, especially at Warner's age, will take forever to heal. Leinart was demoted to learn. He wasn't ready. Steve Young for example was destroyed when he went into the league. Granted it was with Tampa but I imagine that Steve would admit he learned alot behind Joe Montana. Matt was given the reigns too early. Arizona knows this. Kyle earned the starting job. But he just doesn't have the talent. Bring in a decent (better than orton) and continue to develop Hanie.