Angelo was on 1000 yesterday...

Ed Hochuli 3:16

I had work and forgot to post it last night but here's what I can remember:

1. Jurko specifically pretty much said that for Angelo to say QB is a need is a joke because any QB will struggle behind such an OL. Angelo said that OL isn't that big of a need quite yet. He specifically mentioned Beekman as playing well this past year, too.

IN OTHER WORDS: Don't count on Jordan Gross, or a RT or a RG in the first 2 rounds come April.

2. Angelo mentioned that he thinks the players were fine this past year but the coaching wasn't there. He said for now they'll try some new coaches that have experience and know our system.

IN OTHER WORDS: Don't count on Peppers or Suggs in FA. If the Bears defense struggles, Lovie will be sh*t-canned after next season, and rightfully so.

3. When asked about possibly another RB to spell Forte, Angelo kind of moved that one to the side. He just complimented Forte on everything he had done last year. Harry, the one who asked the question, said that Peterson isn't a #2 RB. Angelo also moved that to the side but said he wished Wolfe could have seen the field more.

IN OTHER WORDS: He's fine with Wolfe and Peterson, and I'm guessing Wolfe gets plenty more touches next year.

1 word...

SMOKESCREENS

1. Jurko specifically pretty much said that for Angelo to say QB is a need is a joke because any QB will struggle behind such an OL. Angelo said that OL isn't that big of a need quite yet. He specifically mentioned Beekman as playing well this past year, too.

IN OTHER WORDS: Don't count on Jordan Gross, or a RT or a RG in the first 2 rounds come April.

2. Angelo mentioned that he thinks the players were fine this past year but the coaching wasn't there. He said for now they'll try some new coaches that have experience and know our system.

IN OTHER WORDS: Don't count on Peppers or Suggs in FA. If the Bears defense struggles, Lovie will be sh*t-canned after next season, and rightfully so.

3. When asked about possibly another RB to spell Forte, Angelo kind of moved that one to the side. He just complimented Forte on everything he had done last year. Harry, the one who asked the question, said that Peterson isn't a #2 RB. Angelo also moved that to the side but said he wished Wolfe could have seen the field more.

IN OTHER WORDS: He's fine with Wolfe and Peterson, and I'm guessing Wolfe gets plenty more touches next year.

Much has been made over the oddness of Angelo specifically singling out QB for upgrade in a year where QB was a bright spot, mostly because he's spent the past half decade not singling the position out. It would seem to suggest a sort of cluelessness about where we've been as a team...but I prefer to assume it was posturing to get teams to think we'll draft QB rather than what we'll really go for or to get Orton's price down on a re-up of his contract. That he refuses to even name our offensive line as a need gives it away, I agree.

Also, considering the amount of money we pay our D, and considering we have D-line players that we know are capable like Wale, Alex, Tommie, and to a lesser extent, Israel, Dusty, Anthony Adams, Mark Anderson, etc. At some point you have to figure out that just pouring money into the D isn't going to solve the problem. So then if coaching is the big problem, how do evaluate your players based on last season (to know which guys to replace)?

Do you honestly expect any GM to go out and say, yeah he will be looking to upgrade the OLine, yeah we want to get a Suggs or Peppers, etc.?

Yeah, that's what I expect. No actually, I expected him to also include the amounts he plans on spending for each guy, too.

Jesus Christ, give me a break. I don't expect that, but he can atleast say "We need help on the OL and DL, whether it's through FA or the draft".

Yeah, because that's so hard to do. Also, it would give away all our secrets!!! MWAHAHAHAHA

[b]IN OTHER WORDS: Don't count on Jordan Gross, or a RT or a RG in the first 2 rounds come April.[/b]

I agree on Gross, but not the draft. As for Gross, you simply don't pay someone to be the highest paid offensive lineman ever (which is likely what it'll take) when you're not desperate at the position. Gross would be a major upgrade, but we have more desperate needs.

As for the draft, there's a bunch of OT's projected to go in the first round. If one is there at 18, I don't think JA would have a problem grabbing him.

IN OTHER WORDS: Don't count on Peppers or Suggs in FA. If the Bears defense struggles, Lovie will be sh*t-canned after next season, and rightfully so.3. When asked about possibly another RB to spell Forte, Angelo kind of moved that one to the side. He just complimented Forte on everything he had done last year. Harry, the one who asked the question, said that Peterson isn't a #2 RB. Angelo also moved that to the side but said he wished Wolfe could have seen the field more.

Unless we go 0 & 16, Lovie has at least two years left. As for Suggs & Peppers, like with John Tait, I'd like to find out if we can get more from Wale.

Watching Daren Sproles, it's tough not to wonder for Wolfe can do. Not to mention, AP still looks pretty damn good.

You seem pissed that we're not going to break the bank for o-line, d-line, or rb, but isn't WR & FS our most pressing needs?

[b]IN OTHER WORDS: Don't count on Jordan Gross, or a RT or a RG in the first 2 rounds come April.[/b]

I agree on Gross, but not the draft. As for Gross, you simply don't pay someone to be the highest paid offensive lineman ever (which is likely what it'll take) when you're not desperate at the position. Gross would be a major upgrade, but we have more desperate needs.

As for the draft, there's a bunch of OT's projected to go in the first round. If one is there at 18, I don't think JA would have a problem grabbing him.

IN OTHER WORDS: Don't count on Peppers or Suggs in FA. If the Bears defense struggles, Lovie will be sh*t-canned after next season, and rightfully so.3. When asked about possibly another RB to spell Forte, Angelo kind of moved that one to the side. He just complimented Forte on everything he had done last year. Harry, the one who asked the question, said that Peterson isn't a #2 RB. Angelo also moved that to the side but said he wished Wolfe could have seen the field more.

Unless we go 0 & 16, Lovie has at least two years left. As for Suggs & Peppers, like with John Tait, I'd like to find out if we can get more from Wale.

Watching Daren Sproles, it's tough not to wonder for Wolfe can do. Not to mention, AP still looks pretty damn good.

You seem pissed that we're not going to break the bank for o-line, d-line, or rb, but isn't WR & FS our most pressing needs?

No. DE And OT are.

I dont take alot of what JA is saying now at face value.

[/b]

No. DE And OT are.

I dont take alot of what JA is saying now at face value.

I agree that you can't take what he's saying at face value. But do you really think DE & OT are our top priorities? I disagree based on how bad other positions are. If we cut Alex Brown or Wale, they'd sign pretty good deals with other teams and they'd be starting next season. With the exception of maybe Hester, that's not true of any of our WR's. Hell, Booker and Lloyd could be out of the league if we cut them. Rashied Davis would likely stick with another team, but mainly because he's a good special team's player. Will Earl Bennett have a sophomore season like Josh Beekman or Michael Okwo?

Does anyone believe Hester can be a true #1? We need to focus on getting him back to being a top-return man. Our WR's are pitiful. If we have to over-pay for a position, that should be it.

As for the Tackle position, Brad Biggs at the Tribune wrote today we plan on sticking with Tait & Williams as our starting offensive tackles. We could do much better, but we could do much worse.

In a similar interview on the Score, Angelo said the evaluation process would take another couple of weeks and until this was completed off season priorities could not be determined. When asked about the OL he agreed there was concerns about the line because of age and injuries. I do not think any position can be ruled out yet until the staff has had a chance to do the post season evaluations. I also agree that Angelo has never tipped his hand when it comes to players he is interested in FA or the draft and when it comes to FA he has to be careful about tampering violations that might be involved.

I agree that you can't take what he's saying at face value. But do you really think DE & OT are our top priorities? I disagree based on how bad other positions are. If we cut Alex Brown or Wale, they'd sign pretty good deals with other teams and they'd be starting next season. With the exception of maybe Hester, that's not true of any of our WR's. Hell, Booker and Lloyd could be out of the league if we cut them. Rashied Davis would likely stick with another team, but mainly because he's a good special team's player. Will Earl Bennett have a sophomore season like Josh Beekman or Michael Okwo?

Does anyone believe Hester can be a true #1? We need to focus on getting him back to being a top-return man. Our WR's are pitiful. If we have to over-pay for a position, that should be it.

As for the Tackle position, Brad Biggs at the Tribune wrote today we plan on sticking with Tait & Williams as our starting offensive tackles. We could do much better, but we could do much worse.

Yes I do. For our offense and defense, the OL and DL are the driving forces. We get a pass rushing DE and our defense is back to top form. And an improved Oline will fix the YPR average for Forte and ultimately help the passing game.

I envision us taking a blueprint from the Titans and/or ravens. Build up a great OLine, get two RB's that can carry the load. Hell, their top WR's are Gage and Mason. Not exactly world beaters.

I'm not saying WR isn't a need, but I wouldn't say a top need.

I think it goes:

DE

OT

OG

FS

WR

IMO

This'll seem like a total non-sequitur, but I read this posted on a comedy writer's blog (Ken Levine) and it reminded me of a certain situation in Chi-town. ...it's in the form of a mock Simpsons script where Mr. Burns owns a network TV channel and is referring to Christian Slater's recently canceled tv show:

BURNS: Better 19 hours of Christian programming than one hour of Christian Slater. Whose bright idea was that?

SMITHERS: Don’t worry, sir. The person responsible for that debacle fired three of his underlings and blamed them so it’s been taken care of.

BURNS: Good! Good! I love decisive action!

OK, I guess effectively Babich was in fact demoted but I still got a chuckle out of it.

Yes I do. For our offense and defense, the OL and DL are the driving forces. We get a pass rushing DE and our defense is back to top form. And an improved Oline will fix the YPR average for Forte and ultimately help the passing game.

I envision us taking a blueprint from the Titans and/or ravens. Build up a great OLine, get two RB's that can carry the load. Hell, their top WR's are Gage and Mason. Not exactly world beaters.

Agreed 100% that those are two teams we should model ourselves after. And neither one of them has a TE as good as Olsen or a dynamic playmaker as good as Hester (although he's not a great WR).

The one thing I'd point out is that as far as I'm aware, both teams built their o-line, d-line and rb's through the draft. The one exception to that is Tennessee signing Javon Kearse from Philly . . . except they were the one's who'd drafted the freak originally.

Alex Brown's overall play improved after he was benched in favor or Mark Anderson. TJ improved after we drafted Benson, and Des Clark improved after Olsen. If we drafted a DE & OT in rounds 1 & 2, how much better could Wale & Tait be knowing their replacement is waiting in the wings? Especially since both of them are in a contract year?

These positions can get better, but I think we can do it without giving Peppers a 6 year 80 million $$$ contract, which I'm guessing is what he'll cost.

This'll seem like a total non-sequitur, but I read this posted on a comedy writer's blog (Ken Levine) and it reminded me of a certain situation in Chi-town. ...it's in the form of a mock Simpsons script where Mr. Burns owns a network TV channel and is referring to Christian Slater's recently canceled tv show:

BURNS: Better 19 hours of Christian programming than one hour of Christian Slater. Whose bright idea was that?

SMITHERS: Don’t worry, sir. The person responsible for that debacle fired three of his underlings and blamed them so it’s been taken care of.

BURNS: Good! Good! I love decisive action!

OK, I guess effectively Babich was in fact demoted but I still got a chuckle out of it.

LMOA. Absolutely friggin hilarious. I can picture Mike McCaskey as Monte Burns and JA as Smithers.

Peace

Yea, some of this line of thinking has always cracked me up. I recall some years back, Hatley got ripped day and night because he said that among, other things, a pass rusher was an area we needed to upgrade. Then (I believe) SF traded ahead of us to get Andre Carter in the draft. Everyone screamed at Hatley, but it always cracked me up. Saying we needed a pass rusher then was about the most obvious and well known thing ever.

I don't expect the GM to tell us his plans, but it would be nice if he didn't sound so ignorant at the same time. Does anyone in the league believe we are solid at OT or WR? So would it really be a secret to say these are areas we are looking at?

Yeah, that's what I expect. No actually, I expected him to also include the amounts he plans on spending for each guy, too.

Jesus Christ, give me a break. I don't expect that, but he can atleast say "We need help on the OL and DL, whether it's through FA or the draft".

Yeah, because that's so hard to do. Also, it would give away all our secrets!!! MWAHAHAHAHA

If he's actually telling the truth, which I hope he isn't, then that would be...

BAD

BAD

GOOD

It's clear that there are disagreements on the subject of what's the most pressing need, but let me ask you which more likely produces a good offense:

A- Good RBs, Average WRs, Good OL, Good QB

B- Good RBs, Good WRs, Average OL, Good QB

BTW, the question is rhetorical.

Do lame and/or misleading statements form our coaching staff or management sound surprising in the least?

Yea, some of this line of thinking has always cracked me up. I recall some years back, Hatley got ripped day and night because he said that among, other things, a pass rusher was an area we needed to upgrade. Then (I believe) SF traded ahead of us to get Andre Carter in the draft. Everyone screamed at Hatley, but it always cracked me up. Saying we needed a pass rusher then was about the most obvious and well known thing ever.

I don't expect the GM to tell us his plans, but it would be nice if he didn't sound so ignorant at the same time. Does anyone in the league believe we are solid at OT or WR? So would it really be a secret to say these are areas we are looking at?

Not at all. Seriously, I don't expect our staff to reveal their plans. It would be ignorant to expect them to say, "X is our #1 priority, and we intend to sign one of the top FAs at that need this year". At the same time, my thing is, if you are going to be honest about evaluating a player like Hester, why at the same time toss out BS about a unit like the OL.

If Angelo truly believes our OL is fine, then he is alone. I have said this before, but is it really revealing a team secret to say our OL is not where we want it, and needs to get better?

Do lame and/or misleading statements form our coaching staff or management sound surprising in the least?

No, you're absolutely right.

I just basically have lost all faith in this group, and nothing they say makes me believe them or feel that they know what they are doing. I just am simply hoping for the best...

Not at all. Seriously, I don't expect our staff to reveal their plans. It would be ignorant to expect them to say, "X is our #1 priority, and we intend to sign one of the top FAs at that need this year". At the same time, my thing is, if you are going to be honest about evaluating a player like Hester, why at the same time toss out BS about a unit like the OL.

If Angelo truly believes our OL is fine, then he is alone. I have said this before, but is it really revealing a team secret to say our OL is not where we want it, and needs to get better?

"Hope for the best, Expect the worst". Yea, when it comes to the Bears, that is pretty much my motto. Likely why I write as I do, and thus get ripped for being negative, but that is what this team has made me believe. I pray w/ my children each night the team will prove me wrong, and "make me see the light", but w/ each day comes another validation of my negative belief.

This offseason, when it comes to staffing, I am taking a glass half full look (at least for now). Babich likely belongs on the unemployment line, BUT he is no longer calling the D and is back to a job he did well enough in the past. Brick is gone (an answer to my prayers) and while Marinelli may be a PR issue in my mind (Lovie's BFF & 0-16 team), he is back to the area he did very well. Lovie, while I always felt he was over-rated as a DC, he is light years better than Babich, and his taking over finally forces a level of accountability on someone I feel has thus far escaped it. So in terms of personnel thus far, I would say we made steps in the right direction.

Now, lets see if we upgrade at OL and WR, and I don't mean 2nd day draft picks.

No, you're absolutely right.

I just basically have lost all faith in this group, and nothing they say makes me believe them or feel that they know what they are doing. I just am simply hoping for the best...

"Hope for the best, Expect the worst". Yea, when it comes to the Bears, that is pretty much my motto. Likely why I write as I do, and thus get ripped for being negative, but that is what this team has made me believe. I pray w/ my children each night the team will prove me wrong, and "make me see the light", but w/ each day comes another validation of my negative belief.

This offseason, when it comes to staffing, I am taking a glass half full look (at least for now). Babich likely belongs on the unemployment line, BUT he is no longer calling the D and is back to a job he did well enough in the past. Brick is gone (an answer to my prayers) and while Marinelli may be a PR issue in my mind (Lovie's BFF & 0-16 team), he is back to the area he did very well. Lovie, while I always felt he was over-rated as a DC, he is light years better than Babich, and his taking over finally forces a level of accountability on someone I feel has thus far escaped it. So in terms of personnel thus far, I would say we made steps in the right direction.

As a Bear fan, I can agree 100% with all that you say nfo. "Hope for the best, Expect the worst". To be positive, it did happen when they brought in Ditka and Ryan.

This season I am expecting a return of the D to some measure of dictating the game. If not, Lovie is gone for sure.

And oh how I wish for an upgraded Oline and at least one quality WR brought in. Now is that too much to ask for? :dabears

I agree 100%. Years of seeing what we've seen have made me as such as well.

I think the D will be better by default as well. Anyone coordinating over Babich should be an improvement. How good, we'll see. Does the O continue to be OK? It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Unlike seasons past, I'm not very versed in this years' college crop of players. Not to mention, we're in a no man's land are far as slot and have so many needs, I refuse to get attached to one or 2 guys and hope and hope. It'll just be time to fire up the grill, knock a few brews down and hope we get more like Forte...