Daley wants another NFL team...

madlithuanian

I don't htink it'll happen, espeically w/ LA w/o a team. But maybe the talk applies some heat to this franchise to get something going here!

CHICAGO MAYOR WANTS ANOTHER TEAM

Posted by Mike Florio on January 20, 2009, 10:35 a.m.

They’ve got two baseball teams, so why not two football teams?

Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley reiterated on Monday his belief that the city should have not one but two NFL franchises.

“We should have a second NFL team in Chicago,” Daley said on Comcast SportsNet, via the Chicago Tribune. “If San Francisco has two, New York has two, Florida has three teams . . . and when you take Washington, Baltimore and Philadelphia, they have three teams there in that region, we could easily support a second pro football team.”

The Cardinals used to share Chicago with the Bears, and the fact that the Cardinals are heading to their first Super Bowl in franchise history likely has dusted off talk of Chicago returning to the days of two NFL franchises.

With no teams in Los Angeles, however, we’ve got a feeling that the league will be far more interested in putting one team there before adding a second team to Chicago.

Besides, the Bears likely aren’t interested in sharing their market.

What an "out there" statement. No way we get a 2nd franchise before a city like LA gets one. And as was mentioned in the article, while Daley may want another team, you can bet Bear fans would be against it.

Really makes so sense. I would think, politically, this would be a negative for Daly as he would really piss off Bear fans, which is probably the majority of his votes.

I don't see it happening in a million years. No way.

What an "out there" statement. No way we get a 2nd franchise before a city like LA gets one. And as was mentioned in the article, while Daley may want another team, you can bet Bear fans would be against it.

Really makes so sense. I would think, politically, this would be a negative for Daly as he would really piss off Bear fans, which is probably the majority of his votes.

Here's the deal IMO, Chicago needs to build a dome if they are to host the 2016 Oylmpics. Right now they have proposed to build a temporary dome here that they will take apart once the event is over.

Why not try to attract another NFL team here. I know my heart will always be with the Bears and so will the majority, but think of the pressure that will put on the McCaskey's to stay competitive.

I think it would be kinda cool actually..

I know my heart will always be with the Bears and so will the majority, but think of the pressure that will put on the McCaskey's to stay competitive.

I also think it would be pretty cool, and it would have to be an NFC/AFC thing or I would not stand for it. It would give me someone to root for other than the broncs since I am out here in Denver.

And Ashkum points out it would probably give the McCaskey's a kick in the ass to actual care about winning and not just making money.

The Bears will always be my team, (well unless I want to get a tattoo removed) but I probably wouldn't root against another Chicago NFL team like I root against the scrubs.

I don't see the NFL adding any expansion teams anytime soon, as right now the set up is pretty perfect, IMO. 32 teams, 2 conferences, 4 divisions per each conference, 4 teams per division, and the schedules are worked out pretty perfectly, IMO. The only way that adding expansion teams would make sense is if it were 8 more teams (1 per division) being added, getting rid of all of the preseason (except for maybe 1 game) and making the regular season 4 games longer (2 for the additional divisional games, and 2 for the additional teams in the other divisions we play). But even then, an expansion like that would be impossible because there's only so much talent in the league. The only way that could be even be remotely possible is if one of these new other leagues like the UFL gets much bigger then expected, and they bring in real good talent.

Now, if some struggling team that's not drawing a lot of fans wants to move to Chicago, I'm all for it. It's a big city, and I'd like the competitiveness of having two teams in one city. The Cubs-Sox rivalry is great. However, no way a struggling team looking for a lot of fans would choose Chicago over LA.