Mulligan on Bears

ASHKUM BEAR

Recession won't affect Bears by Mike Mulligan Sun-Times

This has some good info to ponder during this offseason until FA

1 - Sources don't think the Bears will have a pass rusher as a top priority

2 - Turner will like to see WR and depth at Oline as priorities.

3 - Bears might be looking for a CB in draft - moving either Tillman/Graham to FS?

3 - Bears might be looking for a CB in draft - moving either Tillman/Graham to FS?

We have a great dline coach so he will get the most out of the players we have. Peppers & Suggs will cost too much

Yes draft Heyward-Bey(4.3) from Maryland or Louis Murphy (4.3) from Flordia at WR and a G and RT

we need to get the CB from the Raiders and draft the FS from Notre Dame. Vasher will get cut or moved to nickel them we could move tillman to cover the #2 and not the best WR on each team since the Raider guy is a shut down corner and will handle the #1 WR.

If that rookie is a 1st round pick, I am not sure how idiotic it would be. Maybe not ideal, but not idiotic.

Personally, I would rather simply add a legit FS. FS is a position we seem to always be trying to ajust players. DM, I don't think, was a full time FS in college, but we tried to move him there. We have continually drafted SS' and tried to play them at FS. And now there is talk about taking a CB (Tillman) and moving him to FS. We can we not simply go out and get a legit FS?

This reminds me of how we dealt w/ LT for years. Remember the years of never having a legit LT, but instead trying to move RTs or OGs to LT. I never understand why we couldn't simply add a legit LT.

It gets really old trying to fill holes by "converting" players.

If we had a replacement for Tillman, moving him to FS might make sense. However, moving him the FS, and replacing our best corner with a rookie would be idiotic.

It will be interesting to see how much sway Turner has. If we go out and get a stud playmaker, whether that be in the draft or FA, I have to believe Turner has some sway, as it is obvious that is what he is pushing for. On the other hand, if we ignore playmakers in FA, and pass on offense in round one, I have to believe Turner lacks the power to get what he wants.

If that rookie is a 1st round pick, I am not sure how idiotic it would be. Maybe not ideal, but not idiotic.

Personally, I would rather simply add a legit FS. FS is a position we seem to always be trying to ajust players. DM, I don't think, was a full time FS in college, but we tried to move him there. We have continually drafted SS' and tried to play them at FS. And now there is talk about taking a CB (Tillman) and moving him to FS. We can we not simply go out and get a legit FS?

This reminds me of how we dealt w/ LT for years. Remember the years of never having a legit LT, but instead trying to move RTs or OGs to LT. I never understand why we couldn't simply add a legit LT.

It gets really old trying to fill holes by "converting" players.

I remember a few years ago the Bears had a TE or a FB who was a stud LB in college...but was now converted.

The guy wasn't superb by any means, and I could never figure out why they didn't move him from Offense back to his home at Defense. Recasting players seems to happen a lot on the Bears. Meanwhile, guys with defined strengths get put in to do things that everyone in the world knows they aren't built or capable of doing *cough* Wolfe running up the middle on Vikings Defense at the goal line *cough*

Dustin Lyman is who you are thinking of. What really made me sick about Lyman was draft day value. We drafted Lyman in the 3rd round. He was value as a 3rd/4th round pick based on his value as a LB. But we wanted to look at him as a TE, and thus, I would argue we really reached for him. If teams were valuing him as a LB, he would have been projected much lower in the draft as he was a project, but we drafted him at his LB value to play TE. That was messed up.

W/ that said, that specific example was from the former staff, as Hatley drafted him in 2000. I am not sure if he was even on the team by the time Angelo came in.

Regardless, the point is still the same. Rather than "trying" a player at a new position, it would be nice to simply draft players who are experienced at their position. Rather than draft a SS and hope he can play FS, why not just draft a FS.

I remember a few years ago the Bears had a TE or a FB who was a stud LB in college...but was now converted.

The guy wasn't superb by any means, and I could never figure out why they didn't move him from Offense back to his home at Defense. Recasting players seems to happen a lot on the Bears. Meanwhile, guys with defined strengths get put in to do things that everyone in the world knows they aren't built or capable of doing *cough* Wolfe running up the middle on Vikings Defense at the goal line *cough*

Dustin Lyman is who you are thinking of. What really made me sick about Lyman was draft day value. We drafted Lyman in the 3rd round. He was value as a 3rd/4th round pick based on his value as a LB. But we wanted to look at him as a TE, and thus, I would argue we really reached for him. If teams were valuing him as a LB, he would have been projected much lower in the draft as he was a project, but we drafted him at his LB value to play TE. That was messed up.

W/ that said, that specific example was from the former staff, as Hatley drafted him in 2000. I am not sure if he was even on the team by the time Angelo came in.

Regardless, the point is still the same. Rather than "trying" a player at a new position, it would be nice to simply draft players who are experienced at their position. Rather than draft a SS and hope he can play FS, why not just draft a FS.

The only comment I have is this seems to happen alot in baseball where a good college SS will project better as a 2b or CF at the MLB level because of various attributes that fit the MLB prototype for specific positions.

Funny thing is you do not hear of too many other teams that will draft players at one position only to hope they can make a transition to another position of need except for the bears. I do not count taking a LB/DE hybrid who fits the 3-4 scheme better than the 4-3. Bears examples (college Pos/ Pro Pos): Lyman LB/TE, Hester: KR/WR/RB/FB/Nickle/CB/WR, Jason Mckie HB/FB, Urlacher: SS/MLB, Daniel MAnning: CB/S/Nickle, Israel Idonije: DE/DT, Lance Brigs: FB/MLB/OLB, Kevin Payne: R/KR/P/SS, Rod Wilson: S/LB, Charles Tillman: CB/FS/CB John St Claire TE/C/G/OT