Kudos to the Bears, Brad and AP!

madlithuanian

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=5548

NORTHBROOK, Ill. – Thanks in part to two Bears players, U.S. soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan will enjoy a special meal while watching the Super Bowl a week from Sunday.

Punter Brad Maynard and running back Adrian Peterson helped load 2,000 Lou Malnati’s pizzas onto trucks Friday at Lou Malnati’s corporate office in Northbrook. The pizzas will be shipped by DHL to troops in the Middle East through the Pizzas 4 Patriots organization.

Brad Maynard and Adrian Peterson pose with soldier Jeff Palenske and retired Air Force Sgt. Mark Evans Friday afternoon at Lou Malnati's in Northbrook.

“When I got the call, I didn’t hesitate,” Maynard said. “For everything they’re doing over there for us, it pales in comparison. This is the least I could do for them.”

Pizzas 4 Patriots was created by retired Air Force Sgt. Mark Evans, who acted on his teenage son’s idea to send thousands of pizzas to U.S. soldiers. The organization first delivered pizzas to the troops six months ago in time for Fourth of July celebrations.

Pizza 4 Patriots buys the pizzas at below cost from Lou Malnati’s, and they're packed in temperature-controlled containers. The shipping is donated by DHL, which flies directly to several U.S. bases in Iraq.

“As a retired member of the military, I appreciate the support of the local community, Lou Malnati’s and DHL helping bring reminders of home to our U.S. troops stationed thousands of miles away,” Evans said. “The reactions we have received by families, friends of the military and the troops themselves about this initiative have been heartwarming.”

On the Pizzas 4 Patriots web site, a soldier stationed in Baghdad wrote, “I was here over the 4th of July when you sent us pizza! It was incredible! It was so great to get a taste of home! Thank you so very much! I will never forget it!

Another soldier who hails from Chicago wrote, “I just want to say you made my year … I couldn’t believe it that anybody would even care to do something like that … I shed tears of joy. You made this Chicago boy’s day, and I don’t think it can be topped, until I go home.”

Pizzas 4 Patriots is a non-profit organization with the mission of making a positive difference in the lives of service men and women. Their goal is to provide our Armed Forces with gifts from home through financial donations and product and service donations from organizations. Pizzas 4 Patriots strives to make the soldiers feel they are remembered and appreciated by the country and residents who enjoy the freedoms they help provide.