Possible but not probable offseason

Ed Hochuli 3:16

Trade 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 3rd next year to Arizona for Anquan Boldin and a 4th round pick.

---From there, we give him a 5 year, $50 million deal.

Sign Byron Leftwich- 2 years/$5.5 million.

Cut Tait, saving about 4 million.

Re-sign St Clair (1 year) and Roach (2 years).

Trade Nathan Vasher to Houston for a 5th and 6th round pick.

Trade 2nd round pick and a 4th for the Browns 2nd round pick.

2. Duke Robinson, RG, Oklahoma

3. Jason Watkins, RT, Florida

4. Maurice Evans, DE, Penn State

5. Jahi-Word Daniels, CB, Georgia Tech

6. CJ Spillman, FS, Marshall

6. Quinn Johnson, FB, LSU

7. Jeremy Childs, WR, Boise State

7. Herb Donaldson, RB, Western Illinois

Thoughts?

I know you are avid about draft scenerios, and I am a draftnik in every sense of the word, but I find it difficult to get involved with or excited about draft predictions involving trades. I know you said it was not probable, but what you outlined is more than improbable, IMO, if Angelo did this, especially trading 4 draft picks for Boldin, he would be insane.

I know you are avid about draft scenerios, and I am a draftnik in every sense of the word, but I find it difficult to get involved with or excited about draft predictions involving trades. I know you said it was not probable, but what you outlined is more than improbable, IMO, if Angelo did this, especially trading 4 draft picks for Boldin, he would be insane.

Well, it's more like trading 3 picks since we'd be giving up a 1st, two 3rds, and a 5th yet getting back Boldin and a 4th.

By the way, I made a bit of a mistake. I now edited it.

That is way too much to give up for Boldin. He's worth a first round pick and that's it. If we can't get it done for that, go elsewhere. Hell, trade Urlacher for him. I think he'd be a welcome addition to that defense and since we're married to Lovie's Tampon two, we won't utilize his skills properly unless we change our scheme so he's just alot of talent wasted. It's time for the face of this franchise to change anyway.

Exactly. Maybe they'll trade us Fitzgerald instead. Or, maybe we can work out a trade with Houston for Andre Johnson, then trade for Calvin Johnson.

:rolleyes:

Come on, guys like that are untouchable.

I didn't say we'd be trading for Fitzgerald, I said Boldin is not in the same league as those guys and you are giving up too much for him.

Agree w/ Pix. As much as I love to talk draft and offseason, every scenario you ever through out there involves trades, which just makes it more difficult for me to get into. Right now, there is simply WAY too much up in the air. Players stocks are going to rise and fall. FA is going to chance what teams priorities are. Draft day value is simply not going to be the same in 2 months as it is today.

With that said,

No freaking way we should give up that much for Boldin. Look, I think the guy is great, but for a team w/ so many needs, that is simply FAR too much to give up.

Trading Vasher for a 5th/6th makes no sense and would make me sick. I'm sorry, but I have yet to read a reason why we should get rid of Vasher. He is coming off a bad season, but so is most of our defense. He would cost us a ton in cap hit. W/o Vasher, we create yet another hole we need to address. Sorry, but I just don't see the logic if getting rid of Vasher. To me, the logical thing to do is keep him another year, and whether he plays CB or nickel, see if he can turn it around w/ different coaching. If not, you can move him then, and w/ a lower cap hit.

Trading Vasher for a 5th/6th makes no sense and would make me sick. I'm sorry, but I have yet to read a reason why we should get rid of Vasher. He is coming off a bad season, but so is most of our defense. He would cost us a ton in cap hit. W/o Vasher, we create yet another hole we need to address. Sorry, but I just don't see the logic if getting rid of Vasher. To me, the logical thing to do is keep him another year, and whether he plays CB or nickel, see if he can turn it around w/ different coaching. If not, you can move him then, and w/ a lower cap hit.

Yeah, when I read Angelo's comments on Vasher and Mike Brown, I started to get worried. Maybe neither of them should be starting any more, but do we really need to get rid of them? They're both quality depth, if nothing else. We have enough holes already. The same goes for cutting Tait. Keep him for depth, even if he shouldn't be starting any more. He'd be serviceable as a backup.

As for the mock - aside from all the trades, I like most of your picks. I'd love for us to get Duke Robinson in the 2nd. Evans in the 4th might be kind of a reach, though: he had a lousy season and got busted for possession, to boot. He should definitely be around in the 5th.

My fear is we drop all these guys and what will we get to replace them?

Yeah, when I read Angelo's comments on Vasher and Mike Brown, I started to get worried. Maybe neither of them should be starting any more, but do we really need to get rid of them? They're both quality depth, if nothing else. We have enough holes already. The same goes for cutting Tait. Keep him for depth, even if he shouldn't be starting any more. He'd be serviceable as a backup.

As for the mock - aside from all the trades, I like most of your picks. I'd love for us to get Duke Robinson in the 2nd. Evans in the 4th might be kind of a reach, though: he had a lousy season and got busted for possession, to boot. He should definitely be around in the 5th.

Brown and Vasher are totally different situations as Brown is a FA, while Vasher recently signed a new deal, and moving him would cause a significant cap hit.

I personally would like to re-sign Brown, and despite Angelo's comments, think it could happen. Angelo (or maybe it was Lovie) talked about how we can't afford to re-sign Brown. I call BS, but frankly, I don't think Brown will have a great market. I can see Angelo signing Brown down the road for basically just over the minimum.

As for Vasher, I still just do not see the logic toward moving him.

Tait is another story though. Unlike Vasher, Tait would not cost us cap space, but would in fact open up a considerable amount. Sure, you don't cut him unless you also add, but if (for example) we were to go after an OT like Carey or whoever, I would have no problem cutting Tait. You can find a backup cheaper than what he would cost.

My fear is we drop all these guys and what will we get to replace them?

Exactly. We have three guys who are best at SS in Payne, McGowan, and Steltz. None of them is really a free safety. Manning has proven he's better at nickel than safety. If we drop Mike Brown, we have ZERO free safeties on the roster.

Even if we retain Brown, we ought to draft a guy to develop. If we let him go, we need someone to step in right away on top of that. If that guy is Manning, we're not only putting him in a worse position, we're opening a hole at nickel. If we move Vasher to nickel or cut him, we need a starting corner.

Unless Angelo's planning on making a big move in free agency, he's setting us up to use multiple draft picks on defensive backs, when we already need a few linemen, a running back, and a starting wideout.

There aren't exactly a ton of potential starters in the free-agent market either. There's Asomugha, but it's unlikely that the Bears shell out for him. I'm kind of interested in the Rams' free agent DBs, Atogwe and Bartell. One of the two might get franchised, but they're both young and definitely good enough to contribute, maybe even good enough to start.

Tait is another story though. Unlike Vasher, Tait would not cost us cap space, but would in fact open up a considerable amount. Sure, you don't cut him unless you also add, but if (for example) we were to go after an OT like Carey or whoever, I would have no problem cutting Tait. You can find a backup cheaper than what he would cost.

Well, if the Bears pry Carey away from Miami, I will have no problem with them cutting Tait. If they're cutting him in order to add a younger guy of Carey's caliber at the same position, I'm all for it.