Jarius Byrd of Oregon

Wesson44

Bears assistant's son is top Cover-2 corner prospect

By Vaughn McClure

The National Football Post did an interesting breakdown of this year's draft prospects.

The player atop the list of Cover-2 corners stands out: Jarius Byrd of Oregon. He is the son of Gill Byrd, the Bears assistant defensive backs coach. The Bears are in the market for a cornerback, and Byrd -- who declared early -- seems to be an ideal fit. Byrd, a three-year starter, had 17 career interceptions, one off the school record.

Nathan Vasher might not be in the mix next season and the Bears need another corner alongside Charles Tillman, who is recovering from shoulder surgery. Corey Graham displayed flashes last season but needs to show more before being designated a full-time starter.

He could be a great pickup in the third or the fourth. From what I've read, it's not quite clear if he's a corner or a free safety in the NFL. The Bears need both, so that's almost a plus. He's got the size and strength to play safety (5' 11.5", 205, power cleans 330) and has adequate speed for a corner in the cover-2. I'd say draft him early on day 2: whichever position he works out best at, it's guaranteed to fill a need for Chicago.

EDIT: Just read an interview with Byrd. He said he feels like safety is his natural position, but said he's developed a lot as a corner, and he acknowledged that it'll be his coaches' decision where to play him at the next level.

He could be a great pickup in the third or the fourth. From what I've read, it's not quite clear if he's a corner or a free safety in the NFL. The Bears need both, so that's almost a plus. He's got the size and strength to play safety (5' 11.5", 205, power cleans 330) and has adequate speed for a corner in the cover-2. I'd say draft him early on day 2: whichever position he works out best at, it's guaranteed to fill a need for Chicago.

EDIT: Just read an interview with Byrd. He said he feels like safety is his natural position, but said he's developed a lot as a corner, and he acknowledged that it'll be his coaches' decision where to play him at the next level.

I would like the pick up of him. You know he would work hard to impress dad.