Obvious teams for Cassell

flea

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/0...-diner-news-93/

CHICAGO BEARS — At some point, the Bears will have to address their quarterback situation. There were times last season when Kyle Orton appeared to have a good handle on things, but after sustaining an ankle injury, he was not the same productive player he was earlier in the year. The Bears need a marquee player on offense, someone they can build around and make all the other pieces fit. They need someone they do not have to manage but who can run a complete offense. The need is there, but I doubt the Bears will be serious players. They have the 18th pick in the first round, but they hate to part with picks.

CHICAGO BEARS — At some point, the Bears will have to address their quarterback situation. There were times last season when Kyle Orton appeared to have a good handle on things, but after sustaining an ankle injury, he was not the same productive player he was earlier in the year. The Bears need a marquee player on offense, someone they can build around and make all the other pieces fit. They need someone they do not have to manage but who can run a complete offense. The need is there, but I doubt the Bears will be serious players. They have the 18th pick in the first round, but they hate to part with picks.

I think Minny offers a much more ideal situation for Cassel. In Chicago, we just do not have the OL or WRs in place to expect great results. If we had all the pieces in place on offense, minus the QB, I would be far more in favor of taking such a gamble on a QB w/o a more proven track record, but w/ more holes than positives, I just do not see this as a good fit.

On the other hand...if mgmt really wants him, they have other trade bait that I'm not sure Minny can part with since they are deemed ready to go to the SB if they only had a GB.

We have so many holes, that we could send another guy maybe NE needs... Could we send a guy like Vasher? Ogun? Even Harris? Dare I say Urlacher?

I don't see it happening, but if the Bears really wanted Cassel, I think he could be had.

I think Minny offers a much more ideal situation for Cassel. In Chicago, we just do not have the OL or WRs in place to expect great results. If we had all the pieces in place on offense, minus the QB, I would be far more in favor of taking such a gamble on a QB w/o a more proven track record, but w/ more holes than positives, I just do not see this as a good fit.

One. Trading player for player is something fans often talk about, as they often want to get rid of their own garbage, but frankly, doesn't often happen in the NFL. It does happen, sure, but not very often.

Two. I am not saying we couldn't get a deal done if we wanted. What I am questioning is why we would want.

If you are going to give up as much as you will have to for Cassell, you should be in a situation where that is the player you believe puts you over the top. I question the sense for a team more loaded w/ holes than answers giving up a fortune to get a player.

Three. We are not talking about a sure thing. Far from it. We are talking about a kid who never started in college. He started this year and played extremely well, but at the same time, he was in about as ideal of a situation as you will find. He had a good OL, incredible weapons to throw to and maybe the best coaching in the NFL. Pull him out of that environment, and place him in a situation where the OL is among the league worst and "Wrs go to die", and I question how well he would do.

My point about Minny is, they far more fit the first point. If they had a franchise QB, I think most would agree they would have had a much greater shot at the SB this year. In Minny, a QB has maybe the best OL in the game protecting him. Far easier to develop when you are not under extreme pressure every snap, and can sit back in the pocket allowing players to develop. In Minny, a QB has the best run game in the NFL to take pressure off. How many defenses are going to focus their attack on the QB w/ Peterson in the backfield? Like w/ the OL talk, w/ a RB like AP, not to mention Taylor, no defense is going to focus on the QB, making his transition and development that much easier. While Minny does not have the WR talent like Moss/Welker, they do have Berrian, which sure seems like more than we have at this point. So he does have a solid WR to work w/, as well as a solid TE. I would also point out they have a defense such that not many teams are going to light up the scoreboard, and thus again, pressure is lessened for the QB.

I really hope it doesn't happen. I hope NE fears Brady's health, and tagged Cassell because they truly want to keep him around for insurance. I do not want him going to Minny as I think they could be damn scary w/ a legit QB under center.

On the other hand...if mgmt really wants him, they have other trade bait that I'm not sure Minny can part with since they are deemed ready to go to the SB if they only had a GB.

We have so many holes, that we could send another guy maybe NE needs... Could we send a guy like Vasher? Ogun? Even Harris? Dare I say Urlacher?

I don't see it happening, but if the Bears really wanted Cassel, I think he could be had.

I am not so sure. NE is a team w/ their sights set on the SB, and nothing short of that. Brady has been having all sorts of issues w/ his health since the surgury. If they do not have a healthy Brady, and sent Cassel packing, what happens to their season.

Cassel as an insurance policy might be a very expensive insurance policy, but it is a short term one, and if it helps make it back to the SB, is it not worth the price? If they start getting better news on Brady, then maybe, but I just have not read enough good news about Brady for me to expect a trade, at least not thus far.

He's not off the market just means they have more time to work on a trade

No disagreement here. Just stating, if that's what Jerry's kids wanted, they could probably make it happen.

Personally, I think Cassel stays in NE ast least one more year as pure insurance on Brady. Then depending, all bets are off.

One. Trading player for player is something fans often talk about, as they often want to get rid of their own garbage, but frankly, doesn't often happen in the NFL. It does happen, sure, but not very often.

Two. I am not saying we couldn't get a deal done if we wanted. What I am questioning is why we would want.

If you are going to give up as much as you will have to for Cassell, you should be in a situation where that is the player you believe puts you over the top. I question the sense for a team more loaded w/ holes than answers giving up a fortune to get a player.

Three. We are not talking about a sure thing. Far from it. We are talking about a kid who never started in college. He started this year and played extremely well, but at the same time, he was in about as ideal of a situation as you will find. He had a good OL, incredible weapons to throw to and maybe the best coaching in the NFL. Pull him out of that environment, and place him in a situation where the OL is among the league worst and "Wrs go to die", and I question how well he would do.

My point about Minny is, they far more fit the first point. If they had a franchise QB, I think most would agree they would have had a much greater shot at the SB this year. In Minny, a QB has maybe the best OL in the game protecting him. Far easier to develop when you are not under extreme pressure every snap, and can sit back in the pocket allowing players to develop. In Minny, a QB has the best run game in the NFL to take pressure off. How many defenses are going to focus their attack on the QB w/ Peterson in the backfield? Like w/ the OL talk, w/ a RB like AP, not to mention Taylor, no defense is going to focus on the QB, making his transition and development that much easier. While Minny does not have the WR talent like Moss/Welker, they do have Berrian, which sure seems like more than we have at this point. So he does have a solid WR to work w/, as well as a solid TE. I would also point out they have a defense such that not many teams are going to light up the scoreboard, and thus again, pressure is lessened for the QB.

I really hope it doesn't happen. I hope NE fears Brady's health, and tagged Cassell because they truly want to keep him around for insurance. I do not want him going to Minny as I think they could be damn scary w/ a legit QB under center.

Agreed...

I am not so sure. NE is a team w/ their sights set on the SB, and nothing short of that. Brady has been having all sorts of issues w/ his health since the surgury. If they do not have a healthy Brady, and sent Cassel packing, what happens to their season.

Cassel as an insurance policy might be a very expensive insurance policy, but it is a short term one, and if it helps make it back to the SB, is it not worth the price? If they start getting better news on Brady, then maybe, but I just have not read enough good news about Brady for me to expect a trade, at least not thus far.

NE has the best of both worlds in this situation. If they trade Cassel, it's for precisely what they want. No trade and they have the security other teams drool over. Madlith brought up Url to NE. Belicheck would jizz imself drawing up new schemes.

No disagreement here. Just stating, if that's what Jerry's kids wanted, they could probably make it happen.

Personally, I think Cassel stays in NE ast least one more year as pure insurance on Brady. Then depending, all bets are off.

Can the Pats afford to pay Cassel that kind of money ($14.65 million) and Brady ($14.626 million cap hit in 2009)? That would be over $29 million just for the QB position.

Last year at this time we were amazed at how the unknown Derek Anderson came out of nowhere to become a pro-bowl caliber quarterback. Cleveland franchised (I think ) leaving Bear fans to wish Angelo would make a move for this would-be savior.

Cleveland gives him 3 years 30 million . . . Anderson sucks, Cleveland sucks, Anderson is benched.

Doesn't Matt Cassell sound one helluva a lot like this year's Derek Anderson???

Derek Anderson is now getting lumped with Leftwich, Grossman, Losman, Simms, and all the other mediocre quarterbacks who couldn't be successful. Won't that be Matt Cassell in a year?

I think New England made a rare blunder in franchising him. (Which means they really don't expect Brady to be back anytime soon . . . which resulted in aforementioned blunder).

If Cleveland cuts Anderson, I'd love to have him at the garage sale rate, but I sure as hell wouldn't give money & picks for Cassell.

I think he's all but gone. Brady will be back next season, and they are very high on Kevin O'Connell who they spent a 4th (?) round pick on last year. Also, if something does go wrong with Brady, they have enough talent on both offense and defense where they can get by with maybe an inexperienced or mediocre QB. I think they'll be asking for at least a 1st rounder this year, and a conditional pick next year, and if they get that, I don't see them turning it down. It just makes no sense to invest about 20 million on two different QB's, especially when one will assuredly be the starter unless something huge happens and with other players, like Wilfork, in need of extensions.

If they don't get what they want, they'll likely keep Cassell. However, I think the Vikings are more then willing to meat the Pats price, if that price is reasonable.

I think he's all but gone. Brady will be back next season, and they are very high on Kevin O'Connell who they spent a 4th (?) round pick on last year. Also, if something does go wrong with Brady, they have enough talent on both offense and defense where they can get by with maybe an inexperienced or mediocre QB. I think they'll be asking for at least a 1st rounder this year, and a conditional pick next year, and if they get that, I don't see them turning it down. It just makes no sense to invest about 20 million on two different QB's, especially when one will assuredly be the starter unless something huge happens and with other players, like Wilfork, in need of extensions.

If they don't get what they want, they'll likely keep Cassell. However, I think the Vikings are more then willing to meat the Pats price, if that price is reasonable.

I was listening to the SCORE 670am this morning and the host(not sure of name) was wondering if maybe NE should listen to calls regarding trading Brady and not Cassell. His reason is because they can obviously get more in return by trading Brady away compared to Cassell. However a caller said that you can't think of that because it could upset Moss because Moss only had 11td's(?) last year with Cassell and with Brady he would be near the 15-20 TD/year mark.

The Pats won't trade Brady. 1.) he's proven that he's the best, or 2nd best, QB in the NFL, prior to his injury. 2.) He's the face of the franchise. and 3.) He's a captain on the team and trading him could affect the clubhouse.

The Pats won't trade Brady. 1.) he's proven that he's the best, or 2nd best, QB in the NFL, prior to his injury. 2.) He's the face of the franchise. and 3.) He's a captain on the team and trading him could affect the clubhouse.

Oh I completely agree. Just thought it was funny that they had a conversion like that.