Ron Turner interviewing for Pitt OC job.

BearSox

I guess he's interviewing today, but odds are extremely unlikely that he'd accept the job. According to his agent, there's no way:

http://www.collegefootballtalk.com/2009/02...r-to-pitt-talk/

While it would be utterly awesome if he excepted this job, it seems like the only way is if Wanny offers some sexual favors and he gets a nice big 3-4 year contract, which would make no sense for Pitt.

However, it would be awesome if he did get the job, we bring in a new OC from the outside, and bring in a whole new offensive staff.

Like you said- highly doubtful he does take the job.

But if he did, who takes over? Any ideas, anyone?

Conspiracy theory #1 :rolleyes: Lovie and Angelo get together and decide that enough is enough, we need to go in a different direction at OC, but out of loyalty to Turner they decide to allow him to try and find a position that he would like to leave to take, thus allowing him to save face and leave without the stigma of being fired.

Hey, give me a break, I still throw my money away buying lottery tickets thinking one day I will win, LOL

Conspiracy theory #1 :rolleyes: Lovie and Angelo get together and decide that enough is enough, we need to go in a different direction at OC, but out of loyalty to Turner they decide to allow him to try and find a position that he would like to leave to take, thus allowing him to save face and leave without the stigma of being fired.

Hey, give me a break, I still throw my money away buying lottery tickets thinking one day I will win, LOL

You know whats sick? My mind thought that just by reading the post title.

Isn't that what we likely did w/ one of our assistants? Who was the D assistant that left to work in college? I figured then we told him he was gone, but offered him the opportunity to save face.

I think it is more than a conspiracy theory. If he was interviewing for a college HC job, maybe then it would be legit, but if he is making a lateral move to the college ranks, you have to figure it is not being done w/ stability in his current assignment.

You know whats sick? My mind thought that just by reading the post title.

My only fear here is if he takes the job and we bring in another Shoop or Shea.

That's the biggest thing that scares me. Who the hell do we replace them with?

Not to mention, with Lovie taking over defensive play-calling duties, it's essentially a promotion for Ron Turner. Lovie will have even less time to deal with the offensive side. If we did fire Turner, we'd have to make damn certain we replaced him with someone who has experience. I just don't see that guy out there.

I've been pissed at Babbich since we have so much talent on the defensive side of the ball, and we're still awful. I don't see that talent on offense. IMO, Turner's done an ok job given what he has to work with.

What better options are out there. Turner isn't the best OC in the league, but he's far from the worse. He has absolute garbage to work with too, imo.

Exactly. For the first time in what seems like 20 years, we had a better offense then defense. With 3 playmakers on the offensive side of the ball, he made it a top 15 offense. Not bad at all.

Exactly. For the first time in what seems like 20 years, we had a better offense then defense. With 3 playmakers on the offensive side of the ball, he made it a top 15 offense. Not bad at all.

I agree. We have so many people on here complaining about him but he turned "garbage" into a top 15 offense. He has no WR and crappy Oline. A year ago if you would have told me that we would have that good of an offense I would have thought at least a division winner. He really only has a decent QB with no accuracy downfield, he had a rookie RB and then of course he did have a great TE group.

Agreed 100%. We need Turner to stay for now. I do not want to see another change in the offensive scheme.

Peace :dabears

3 playmakers? You got to be kidding me. Forte was about the only play-maker on the squad and I don't know that I'd call him a play-maker, albeit it he's well on his way to becoming a very above average running back and a true play-maker (But he's not the type thats going to take it to the house on any play). And in no way will I call Olsen or Hester playmakers. They both have the ability to develop into that but neither had ridiculous yardage numbers or td numbers.

So ya, I'm going to give Turner a lot of credit, he had a mediocre (albeit improved) oline, a young QB, and one of the worse WR corps I've ever seen and still found a way to put a decent offense out there. I think he deserves a hell of a lot of credit for that.

3 playmakers? You got to be kidding me. Forte was about the only play-maker on the squad and I don't know that I'd call him a play-maker, albeit it he's well on his way to becoming a very above average running back and a true play-maker (But he's not the type thats going to take it to the house on any play). And in no way will I call Olsen or Hester playmakers. They both have the ability to develop into that but neither had ridiculous yardage numbers or td numbers.

So ya, I'm going to give Turner a lot of credit, he had a mediocre (albeit improved) oline, a young QB, and one of the worse WR corps I've ever seen and still found a way to put a decent offense out there. I think he deserves a hell of a lot of credit for that.

You wouldn't call Forte a playmaker? 1500+ total yards of offense with one of the worst OL's in football.

Olsen catches everything (he had 1 bad game in Carolina) and Hester's 2 first seasons were better then Steve Smith's. You can't sit here and say Hester isn't a playmaker.

And BTW- I wasn't being sarcastic, I was being serious. So we agree...