Feb 19th Could be a Big Day for us......

Pixote

It seems Carolina's quandry will come to a head on Feb 19th, when they will have to decide what to do about the Gross/Peppers problem if Peppers continues to demand to be traded and Gross does not sign a long term deal. I would love to have Gross added to our roster. Peppers is wanting to go to a 3-4 defense so that would be out of our area.

Article about Carolina's FA decisions with Peppers & Gross

Gross would be a significant upgrade. Having a stud offensive line can be one of those things that an organization can take to the playoffs year in year out as it will make it relatively easy to run and pass and flat out dominate the TOP. Combine that with a great defensive line and your talking about a team that should be a perennial contender. I think the Bears could potentially get to that point if they can find a way to get a young guard opposite Beekman and find a stud tackle to go with Williams (plus we have St. Clair, who we could keep as our guard to go with Beekman who will eventually slide to center when Kreutz is done).

I could have sworn it was March 1, but clnr seems to think otherwise.

Feb. 18-24—NFL scouting combine, Indianapolis.

Feb. 19—Deadline for clubs to designate franchise and transition players.

Feb. 27—Free agency begins; trading period begins.

March 22-25—Annual owners meeting, Dana Point, Calif.

April 17—Signing period ends for restricted free agents.

April 24—Deadline for old club to exercise right of first refusal to restricted free agents.

April 25-26—NFL draft, New York.

May 18-20—Spring meeting, Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

June 1—Deadline for old clubs to send tender to unsigned unrestricted free agents to receive exclusive negotiating rights for rest of season if player is not signed by another club by July 22. Deadline for old clubs to send tender to unsigned restricted free agents or to extend qualifying offer to retain exclusive negotiating rights.

June 15—Deadline for old clubs to withdraw original qualifying offer to unsigned restricted free agents and still retain exclusive negotiating rights by substituting tender of 110 percent of previous years salary.

July 22—— Signing period ends at 4 p.m. EDT for unrestricted free agents who received June 1 tender.

Aug. 9—Pro Football Hall of Fame Game, Canton, Ohio.

Aug. 13-17—First preseason weekend.

Sept. 1—Roster cutdown to maximum of 75 players.

Sept. 5—Roster cutdown to maximum of 53 players.

Sept. 10—Season opener.

It seems Carolina's quandry will come to a head on Feb 19th, when they will have to decide what to do about the Gross/Peppers problem if Peppers continues to demand to be traded and Gross does not sign a long term deal. I would love to have Gross added to our roster. Peppers is wanting to go to a 3-4 defense so that would be out of our area.

Article about Carolina's FA decisions with Peppers & Gross

IMO, by the 19th I doubt we'll have much to discuss. My guess is they'll place the tag on Peppers, and there's a decent chance they'll have resigned Gross. I could be wrong, but who knows?

The best comprehensive list of free agents by detailed position I've found is at http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa

Even if you don't have INSIDER, I like the fact you can have the free agents ranked by position. For instance, I was a bit disturbed to find out there are only 8 true free safeties available. http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?sort=gra...p;positionId=21 After Atogwe from the Rams, (who might get franchised) there is the 59 year old Brian Dawkins, 3 guys I've never heard of, and #6 on the list is Terrance Holt, who is apparantly with the Bears (I could have sworn we cut him after 3 weeks.)

Damn this free agent class is weak.

IMO, by the 19th I doubt we'll have much to discuss. My guess is they'll place the tag on Peppers, and there's a decent chance they'll have resigned Gross. I could be wrong, but who knows?

Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, but I see absolutely no way they can keep both. Last I heard, they were what, like $10m under the cap. I looks like the only way they keep Peppers is to tag him, which will cost $17m straight up. They will have to cut players or restructure deals to create $7m just for Peppers. That leaves them w/ nadda for Gross, other holes, or even rookies. Frankly, this is also why I am still not sure they tag Peppers, unless the reported numbers are not accurate.

Damn this free agent class is weak.

Time will tell. There are a number of players due to hit FA who right now have a question mark due to the potential of the tag, but several of those same teams have very interesting choices to me. Peppers or Gross. In St.L, we have often talked about Atogwe, but I have also read St.l is also considering tagging one of their CBs, both of which are UFAs.

I think there are some positions that have some intersting players alread, and frankly, think it could be added to w/ cuts, though most cuts will be older veterans. Still, while there is little at positions like FS or WR, there are some other positions that due offer more quantity, like OL and DL.

Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, but I see absolutely no way they can keep both. Last I heard, they were what, like $10m under the cap. I looks like the only way they keep Peppers is to tag him, which will cost $17m straight up. They will have to cut players or restructure deals to create $7m just for Peppers. That leaves them w/ nadda for Gross, other holes, or even rookies. Frankly, this is also why I am still not sure they tag Peppers, unless the reported numbers are not accurate.

I think that number is inaccurate.

Franchise/Transition Tag Levels

Quarterback

Franchise

$14.651m

Running Back

Franchise

$6.621m

Wide Receiver

Franchise

$9.884m

Tight End

Franchise

$4.462m

Offensive Linemen

Franchise

$8.451m

Kicker/Punter

Franchise

$2.483m

Defensive Tackle

Franchise

$6.058m

Defensive End

Franchise

$8.991m

Linebacker

Franchise

$8.304m

Safety

Franchise

$6.342m

Cornerback

Franchise

$9.957m

Actually, the number I wonder about has to do w/ the cap space.

I think the $17m hit (or there about) for tagging Peppers is accurate. I know the numbers you provided, but Peppers current contract (as I understand it) makes those numbers moot. I believe a tagged player must make 120% of his prior salary, or the set tag amount, which ever is greater. Peppers currently has a deal earning him big money, and as I understand it, per the 120% rule, he will cost around $17m to tag this coming season, despite what the set tag amount is.

Am I explaining this okay? I recall Indy being in a similar situation w/ Manning. I think it was also a reason Walter Jone's tag hit was much higher than the usual tag numbers since he was tagged more than once.

Actually, the number I wonder about has to do w/ the cap space.

I think the $17m hit (or there about) for tagging Peppers is accurate. I know the numbers you provided, but Peppers current contract (as I understand it) makes those numbers moot. I believe a tagged player must make 120% of his prior salary, or the set tag amount, which ever is greater. Peppers currently has a deal earning him big money, and as I understand it, per the 120% rule, he will cost around $17m to tag this coming season, despite what the set tag amount is.

Am I explaining this okay? I recall Indy being in a similar situation w/ Manning. I think it was also a reason Walter Jone's tag hit was much higher than the usual tag numbers since he was tagged more than once.

Appears you are correct.