Mock Draft IX

ASHKUM BEAR

We are 10 days until the Combine kicks off. Players will start moving up and down the draft boards shortly, so I'll take another stab at who I think the Bears will take come April.

1-18 Chicago Bears

Big names available: Jeremy Maclin WR, Percy Harvin WR, Hakeem Nicks WR, Duke Robinson G, James Laurinitis LB, Michael Johnson DE, Larry English DE.

The Bears select Jeremy Maclin WR as they follow the copy cat league in trying to find the next Larry Fitzgerald or Santonio Holmes.

2-49 Chicago Bears

Big names available: Phil Loadholdt OT, Fenuki Topou OT, Herman Johnson G, Brian Robiske WR, Patrick Chung SS.

The Bears select Phil Loadholdt OT to be the other corner stone in there youth movement at offensive line. Loadholdt has a little learning to do on footwork, but once he gets up to speed with the NFL he will be able to open up huge holes for Forte

3-85 Chicago Bears

Big names available: Trevor Canfield G, Jarron Gilbert DE, Nick Harris SS, Emanuel Cook SS, Javon Ringer RB,

The Bears select Trevor Canfield G to add depth and eventually replace Roberto Garza. Guard is now a position with extra depth with Buenning, Garza, Metcalf, Beekman, and possilby St. Clair.

3-97 comp Chicago Bears

Big names available: Rhett Bomar QB, Jeremiah Johnson RB, Zack Follet LB, Patrick Turner WR

The Bears select Rhett Bomar QB from Sam Houston St. with the compensation pick from losing Benard Berrian.

4-115 Chicago Bears

Big names available: Graham Harrell QB, David Bruton FS, Brandon Underwood FS, Troy Nolan FS, Brandon Williams DE

The Bears select David Bruton FS from ND.

5-146 Chicago Bears

Big names available: Alex Boone OT, Anthony Parker G, Pat White WR/QB, Otis Wiley SS, C.J. Spillman FS, Tony Flammetta FB

The Bears select Tony Flammetta FB from Syracuse. Tony may be the best run blocking FB in the draft, and the Bears see him as an asset to improving Matt Forte's success.

6-178 Chicago Bears

Big names available: Devin Moore RB, Glen Coffee RB, Tyrelll Sutton RB, Andy Kemp G, Joel Burnett CB, Phillip Hunt LB,

The Bears select Devin Moore RB to complement Forte. Moore is the smaller change of pace back at 5-9 192 with 4.3 speed. The Bears never really gave Wolfe a chance, so maybe Moore will get to see some carries relieving Forte.

7-212 Chicago Bears

Big names available: Orion Martin DE, Maurice Evans DE, Lee Robinson OLB, DeAndre Levy OLB, Derek Walker LB/DE.

The Bears select Derek Walker DE from Illinois. Walker could be a late round steal as he always seems to find a way to get to the QB.

recap: 6 offense/ 2 defense (2 starter quality Olinemen, true playmaker WR)

1 Jeremy Maclin WR

2 Phil Loadholdt OT

3 Trevor Canfield G

3 Rhett Bomar QB

4 David Bruton FS

5 Tony Flammetta FB

6 Devin Moore RB

7 Derek Walker DE

Okay, not a bad draft at all but I think you're lost on where players will go.

1. Moore will likely go in the 3rd to a team that needs a small, quick RB like New England. Plus, we don't need him as Angelo already said he thinks Wolfe's role will improve next season.

2. I'd rather take DHB, Britt, or Nicks instead of Maclin, but whatever.

3. Bomar is a 5th or 6th rounder.

4. Loadholt had an awful Senior Bowl week and is now projected as a 3rd. I wouldn't mind getting him there.

5. Canfield had a great Senior Bowl week and now will go in the 2nd. I wouldn't mind getting him there.

All in all, I think we should go WR, then OG, then RT, then DE.

1. Moore will likely go in the 3rd to a team that needs a small, quick RB like New England. Plus, we don't need him as Angelo already said he thinks Wolfe's role will improve next season.

Highly unlikely. NFL Scouts think so low of him he didn't even get a combine invite. At best, he'll be a 4th round pick, and that's if he REALLY impresses at his pro day.

Not a big fan of Maclin either, but to take any of the other guys over Maclin would be pretty stupid.

Bomar is at worst the 5th best QB in this class. Granted, it's a week class, but he's definitely a round 2-3 prospect, and a 4th rounder at the latest, unless he really stinks up the combine for some reason. Bomar, IMO, is the 4th best QB in this class.

4. Loadholt had an awful Senior Bowl week and is now projected as a 3rd. I wouldn't mind getting him there.

Loadholt had a very solid senior bowl week, and if anything, his stock went up. He's a solid round 2 prospect with the possibility of sneaking into round 1 with a very good combine.

5. Canfield had a great Senior Bowl week and now will go in the 2nd. I wouldn't mind getting him there.

You can never tell with guards. Right now, Canfield is still a solid round 3 prospect.

Highly unlikely. NFL Scouts think so low of him he didn't even get a combine invite. At best, he'll be a 4th round pick, and that's if he REALLY impresses at his pro day.

Not a big fan of Maclin either, but to take any of the other guys over Maclin would be pretty stupid.

Bomar is at worst the 5th best QB in this class. Granted, it's a week class, but he's definitely a round 2-3 prospect, and a 4th rounder at the latest, unless he really stinks up the combine for some reason. Bomar, IMO, is the 4th best QB in this class.

Loadholt had a very solid senior bowl week, and if anything, his stock went up. He's a solid round 2 prospect with the possibility of sneaking into round 1 with a very good combine.

You can never tell with guards. Right now, Canfield is still a solid round 3 prospect.

Moore is going to tear up his workouts with his speed. He'll go to a team in the 3rd- count on it.

I'd definitley take DHB, Nicks, or Britt over Maclin. Maybe not with the 18th pick, but if I had to choose one for the future, Maclin would not be my pick.

Bomar does nothing for me as a QB.

Sure, Loadholt is massive, but he isn't very good against speed rushers. The only thing he is able to do is if he's lucky enough to latch onto the DE, the play is done.

I guess we'll disagree on Canfield. Of all the mocks I've looked at, he's a 2nd rounder. He's the 2nd or 3rd best OG, behind Robinson and maybe Urbik.

BTW- don't count on us drafting a FS. Angelo wants to give Manning a shot there this year, which is why Brown won't be back.

I'll be ecstatic if we get Maclin at #18.

Aside from the obvious physical skills I see a player who is tough (played hurt last year even though he had the draft to worry about), he goes over the middle, he doesn't shy away from contact at the end of the play, and can get yards after contact, and he can make the tough catches. I'd love to see him lined up opposite Hester.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA619-10IIM

But we need a compliment to Hester. Just like Devin, Maclin relies on his speed to make catches down the field. Yes, he does go over the middle of the field, but even Hester does that 3 times a game. I'd much rather have Nicks or Britt if we could trade down into the late 1st or early 2nd- both are guys who made their college careers successful by catching the ball on slants and quick throws for 8 yards in the middle of the field.

If Nicks or Britt could show that they are consistent, that would take the safety potentially away from cheating a bit on Hester's side which could get him more 1-on-1's.

Guest TerraTor
But we need a compliment to Hester. Just like Devin, Maclin relies on his speed to make catches down the field. Yes, he does go over the middle of the field, but even Hester does that 3 times a game. I'd much rather have Nicks or Britt if we could trade down into the late 1st or early 2nd- both are guys who made their college careers successful by catching the ball on slants and quick throws for 8 yards in the middle of the field.

If Nicks or Britt could show that they are consistent, that would take the safety potentially away from cheating a bit on Hester's side which could get him more 1-on-1's.

I think we should go with Heyward-Bey over any other WR at #18.

Okay, not a bad draft at all but I think you're lost on where players will go.

All in all, I think we should go WR, then OG, then RT, then DE.

You could be right on Moore, I've seen some mocks with him going higher. I just followed draft tek to get player rankings after RD3. If he does hit the 4.3 some team will jump on him possible RD3 or 4.

As for WR, I also really like Britt and Nicks but feel 18 may be a little bit of a reach for them. At 18 Maclin would be a steal IMO. My order of preference Maclin, Britt, Nicks, DHB. I would take Mac/Britt at 18, then I'd look at Duke Robinson, Larry English, Michael Johnson before I think about Nicks/DHB.

Bomar may be considered a 5th RD, but after Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman, theres not much left. Bomar, Nate Davis, Pat White, Nathan Brown, or Hunter Caldwell are all going to go between RDs 4-6. I'd use a 3rd RD comp pick (basically 4th RD value) to reach a little for a QB.

Loadholdt may struggle at times with the pass rush. I've stated it may take a little time to work on the footwork, but I think his run blocking would be huge and if we don't cut Tait and resign St. Clair, we will have a little bit of time for him to develop.

Looking at available QB's in FA and the draft, I think the Bears are stuck with Orton (and not that that's really a bad thing). What is kind of interesting is the 2010 potential draft class, this is were I think the Bears can land a possible franchise QB.

Sam Bradford

Colt McCoy - *like*

Javon Sneed

Tim Tebow

Jimmy Clausen

Pat Delvin- Joe Flacco #2???

Tim Hiller -

Zac Robinson - *like*

Looking at available QB's in FA and the draft, I think the Bears are stuck with Orton (and not that that's really a bad thing). What is kind of interesting is the 2010 potential draft class, this is were I think the Bears can land a possible franchise QB.

Sam Bradford

Colt McCoy - *like*

Javon Sneed

Tim Tebow

Jimmy Clausen

Pat Delvin- Joe Flacco #2???

Tim Hiller -

Zac Robinson - *like*

Dez Bryant in the 1st, Robinson in the 2nd?

:notworthy

BTW- say no to Tebow, Clausen, and Bradford. Bradford isn't in any type of offense that will resemble an NFL offense, Tebow is Tebow- I don't want to beat on a dead horse, and Clausen hasn't done sh*t at ND that makes me want him here.