Vasher not going anywhere

GakMan23

Let's hope that Vasher sucking was about injuries these past 2 seasons. We need him to get back to being ESPN 3 & The Interceptor.

I've ridiculed the notion of moving our best cornerback to safety, but I'm starting to see a lot of reasons why it makes sense:

#1--Mix up the defense: I've scoffed at moving Tillman sense all we typically have our FS drop way back in coverage. That'd be a waste of Peanut's talent. Yet Lovie always says the two positions are interchangeable. Maybe they haven't been interchangeable because we don't trust D-Manning. He's started a ton of games at FS over the past 3 years and had exactly one sack. If we moved Peanut all over the field, and try to utilize to become more of a Bob Sander's type, that'd be huge. If we had a good safety we trusted we could mix up the defense more.

#2--It's a helluva a lot easier to find a corner then a good safety: This is proven by the fact that Angelo drafts a safety damn near every year, yet the cupboard is bare. Yet we have a roster of solid corners. Sure it means we'll have to draft another CB but JA is damn good at that.

#3--We really like Corey Graham: Remember he fell a ton on draft day due to injuries. He wasn't spectacular this season, but very solid. If we think he can take Tillman's spot at corner, that'd be huge. At 6-0, 193, he's damn near Tillman's size, who is 6-1 198.

Either way, if this were opening day, we'd one our 5 best defensive backs on the field. That'd be D Manning, Tillman, Graham, Vasher, and Payne. I sure as hell don't want to ever see D Manning back at the FS spot. If this would cure our safety problem, we need to do it.

Was that Jerry Angelo or Lovie Smith answering those questions, or a sports columnist for the sun times?

I'd be utterly SHOCKED if Nathan Vasher is still with the Bears next year. He deserves to be cut and holding onto someone because of their contract is stupid. You win some, you lose some, and we lost this one.

And please stop with this crap about moving Tillman to FS. You want to replace him with a rookie and play him at FS? You're certainly downgrading at one position if you do that, and I think Tillman would make a terrible FS anyway. Tillman is above and beyond our best CB and better then most likely any rookie CB. It'd be utterly stupid to move him to FS.

Now, I got no problem drafting someone to replace Vasher as our other CB, but that's a completely different deal.

I'd be utterly SHOCKED if Nathan Vasher is still with the Bears next year. He deserves to be cut and holding onto someone because of their contract is stupid. You win some, you lose some, and we lost this one.

Did you even read the article? Vasher was damn good his first 3 seasons with the Bears. That's why we rewarded him. If he's absolutely putrid, cut him September 1st. But it'd be ignorant & irresponsible to cut him now.

And please stop with this crap about moving Tillman to FS. You want to replace him with a rookie and play him at FS? You're certainly downgrading at one position

Don't we really need to find not one but two safeties? How do you suggest we do that? You're ignoring my point that for whatever reasons, safeties have a difficult time in this system. Since Lovie's been here we've started Mike Brown, D Manning, Brandon McGowan, Craig Steltz, Chris Harris, Cameron Worrell, Kevin Payne . . . Of that group, only Manning, Steltz, & Payne is likely to return. Manning sucks at fs, all Payne can do is dive face-first at someone & hope he doesn't miss, and Steltz showed nothing.

Meanwhile at corner JA's drafted Vasher, Peanut, Graham, McBride, and Bauman. That's a nice group IMO. Graham was solid this year. I'm confident we can replace Tillman at corner, but right now we're screwed at safety.

I think Tillman would make a terrible FS anyway.

Why? Corner is supposed to be more difficult. I'd be happy as hell if he can help fix our safety position.